Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

I wonder if these dudes ever got some royalties...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> I wonder if these dudes ever got some royalties... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
I wonder if these dudes ever got some royalties... - 9/26/2020 12:10:02 PM   
RFalvo69

I mean... they are everywhere. They should be rich (if still alive) from Squad Leader/ASL alone

(Of course this is not valid for famous flag-raising and other historical events).

Attachment (3)

"Yes darling, I served in the Navy for eight years. I was a cook..."
"Oh dad... so you were a God-damned cook?"

(My 10 years old daughter after watching "The Hunt for Red October")
Post #: 1
RE: I wonder if these dudes ever got some royalties... - 9/26/2020 12:49:06 PM   
Zorch

Many famous war photos were staged or re-enactments, like the Iwo Jima flag raising. Don't know if that applies to the ones pictured.

(in reply to RFalvo69)
Post #: 2
RE: I wonder if these dudes ever got some royalties... - 9/26/2020 1:11:11 PM   
76mm

Actually I think they'd have been pretty happy if they just survived the war, forget the royalties!

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 3
RE: I wonder if these dudes ever got some royalties... - 9/26/2020 2:21:28 PM   
Zovs

The only royalties soldiers are really wanting to get is just to go home in one piece.

Beta Tester for:
Flashpoint Campaigns: Sudden Storm
War in the East 1 & 2
WarPlan & WarPlan Pacific
Valor & Victory
DG CWIE 2
SPWW2 & SPMBT scenario creator

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 4
RE: I wonder if these dudes ever got some royalties... - 9/27/2020 4:25:04 PM   
Orm

I thought it was the one taking the pictures that got the royalties.

And I would have thought that the copyright had expired by now.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to Zovs)
Post #: 5
RE: I wonder if these dudes ever got some royalties... - 9/28/2020 3:15:07 AM   
bairdlander2

I did read online the first soldier immigrated to USA after the war and is still alive.Dont have time to find the link now

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 6
RE: I wonder if these dudes ever got some royalties... - 9/28/2020 6:12:29 PM   
RFalvo69

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

I thought it was the one taking the pictures that got the royalties.

And I would have thought that the copyright had expired by now.

The "model" has the right to some royalties too. Your personal appearance is copyrighted: it can't be used in association with something that makes money without a royalties agreement (even if there are cases where this doesn't apply; journalism, for example, or a history book).

As an amateur photographer, the intricacies of copyright law are part of the things I need to know should I sell a picture I took. Just to underline how complex they are, think about this: the Tour Eiffel at night is copyrighted.

https://petapixel.com/2017/10/14/photos-eiffel-tower-night-illegal/

Anyway, I hope, too, that these people survived the war. However, I would be a bit miffed should I see a picture of me (taken, BTW, amid terrible events) being used for commercial purposes. I have the first picture from on my copy of "The Forgotten Soldier" to an unnumbered wargames' covers and artwork (this guy is usually used in connection with some dire situation for Germany: the Cobra breakout, the collapse of Army Group Center, Last standing in Berlin and such...)

If you are curious about the matter, here is a link (it was this video who made me wonder again about something I actually wonder about since I bought my copy of "Cross of Iron" when I was a kid). Pro Tip: the winners are the lawyers...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUEbi4r8Pg0&ab_channel=Tony%26ChelseaNorthrup

Edit: The copyright expires 70 years after the death of the creator(s). If the first German soldier AND who took his picture died during the Battle of the Bulge, then the expiration date for that picture was December 2014. If one or both survived, for, let's say, ten more years, then their estate can claim copyright until 2024.

Edit2: But there is a catch! If something you have copyright on is used illegally but unchallenged ***and you know about it but you don't act***, then it is implied by you that you have renounced your copyright claims, and the "ouvre" is now copyright free. In Paris they actually have "La Société d’Exploitation de la Tour Eiffel" whose job is to protect the copyright on the tower.

A fun and crazy world for sure.

< Message edited by RFalvo69 -- 9/28/2020 6:32:39 PM >

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 7
RE: I wonder if these dudes ever got some royalties... - 9/30/2020 8:37:58 PM   
TulliusDetritus

Last one is definitely dead. Politruk Yeremenko, killed a few minutes after the picture was taken. Leading -possibly- some sort of counterattack in the summer of 1942 aka a dangerous time for the red army in the general direction of Stalingrad.

70 years? And the heir/s?

a nu cheeki breeki iv damke

(in reply to RFalvo69)
Post #: 8
RE: I wonder if these dudes ever got some royalties... - 9/30/2020 9:20:16 PM   
Rosseau

I have often wondered about the fate of these soldiers. Thanks for the information. May they all rest in peace.

I cannot come up with a Japanese soldier or airman as "famous" offhand, but I bet you guys can find an image or two!

(in reply to TulliusDetritus)
Post #: 9
RE: I wonder if these dudes ever got some royalties... - 9/30/2020 9:33:53 PM   
Platoonist

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rosseau

I cannot come up with a Japanese soldier or airman as "famous" offhand, but I bet you guys can find an image or two!

In Japanese culture, it's more about the group than the individual.

(in reply to Rosseau)
Post #: 10
RE: I wonder if these dudes ever got some royalties... - 10/1/2020 2:58:55 AM   
GaryChildress

I'll never forget this one. Looking at that stare just makes my hair stand on end.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Platoonist)
Post #: 11
RE: I wonder if these dudes ever got some royalties... - 10/1/2020 3:02:57 AM   
GaryChildress

Another one I see quite a bit.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to GaryChildress)
Post #: 12
RE: I wonder if these dudes ever got some royalties... - 10/1/2020 9:14:22 AM   
RFalvo69

The famous picture from 2nd El-Alamein, of course. I have seen it often associated with books and games about Tobruk.

Attachment (2)

< Message edited by RFalvo69 -- 10/1/2020 9:15:08 AM >

(in reply to GaryChildress)
Post #: 13
RE: I wonder if these dudes ever got some royalties... - 10/1/2020 10:28:20 AM   
TulliusDetritus

Yevgeny Khaldei's* picture, reconaissance patrol in the Leningrad Front. Most of the men did not come back.

*the guy of the flag over the Reichstag, a fine artist

Attachment (1)

a nu cheeki breeki iv damke

(in reply to RFalvo69)
Post #: 14
RE: I wonder if these dudes ever got some royalties... - 10/1/2020 11:54:00 AM   
Neilster

The first photo is often referred to as "Winter Fritz". Various names have been thrown around for this guy and most have been proved incorrect.

This link discusses it.

https://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?t=242511

From that page...

"That said: the background of the photograph itself isn't "vague" at all. It was taken by SS PK-Berichter Max Büschel on the 18th of December 1944 on the stretch of road between Recht and Poteau. The previous afternoon photographer Büschel and newsreel filmer Schäfer left Rollbahn D at Honsfeld to accompany the Stabskompanie (staff company) of SS-PzAA1 as they drove over Heppenbach and Amel to reach the village of Born in the afternoon where they linked up with the rest of schnelle Gruppe Knittel (which had used Rollbahn E) and remained there for the night.

The Stabskompanie left Born in the morning of the 18th and drove over Kaiserbaracke - where the 2. (le.SPW) and 3. (VW) Kompanie had secured the crossroads - to the village of Recht where Knittel met with Hansen. IMO, that's how photographer Büschel, cameraman Schäfer, Knittel's aide Stiewe and those 234's carrying soldiers from the Fahrradzug ended up at the famous "ambush scene" near Poteau. While the meeting between Knittel and Hansen took place, I think the Stabskompanie drove up the road to Poteau to prepare their further advance behind Hansen's battlegroup. As the men waited for Knittel and new orders, Büschel took advantage of them loitering around to take pics of them advancing and "attacking" up the road towards the "ambush scene" where they came across some of Hansen's grenadiers who were also photographed.

But while Knittel talked with Hansen he received orders from Mohnke: Peiper had managed a breakthrough at Stavelot and the Schnelle Gruppe was to follow him to La Gleize. Goltz, the 234's and their passengers from the Fahrradzug doubled back over Recht to Kaiserbaracke and so did Büschel with Goltz and his men - resulting in the photos of Hansen's Jagdpanzer's moving up, of Hansen's Grille's in action near Recht followed by the pics taken at Kaiserbaracke where members of the 3. (VW) Kompanie acted out the famous Schwimmwagen pics. The Sd.Kfz. 250's from the 2. (le.SPW) Kompanie can be seen in the background. Note that the first pics Büschel took at the Kaiserbaracke crossroads show Goltz in his Schwimmwagen.

After Büschel and Schäfer left Kaiserbaracke they caught up with Knittel in la Vaulx Richard."

Cheers, Neilster

(in reply to TulliusDetritus)
Post #: 15
RE: I wonder if these dudes ever got some royalties... - 10/6/2020 9:59:16 AM   
Fred98

quote:

ORIGINAL: Neilster
The first photo is often referred to as "Winter Fritz". Various names have been thrown around for this guy and most have been proved incorrect.

I heard it like this on some forum, maybe even this one.

The man migrated to the USA. He married, had children and grand children. He didn't tell his family about the photo till not long before he died. It was after he died that his story came to light. That's it.

(in reply to Neilster)
Post #: 16
RE: I wonder if these dudes ever got some royalties... - 10/7/2020 9:45:31 AM   
truch1984

Thanks a lot for this wonderful information. It was really helpful.

(in reply to RFalvo69)
Post #: 17
RE: I wonder if these dudes ever got some royalties... - 10/7/2020 12:19:47 PM   
Neilster

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fred98

quote:

ORIGINAL: Neilster

The man migrated to the USA. He married, had children and grand children. He didn't tell his family about the photo till not long before he died. It was after he died that his story came to light. That's it.

But that's my point. None of these stories about Walter Ambrusch (who apparently it isn't) or Hans Tragarsky have been verified.

Cheers, Neilster

(in reply to Fred98)
Post #: 18
RE: I wonder if these dudes ever got some royalties... - 10/8/2020 8:08:13 AM   
quotesjin

(in reply to Neilster)
Post #: 19
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> I wonder if these dudes ever got some royalties... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI