Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

[Resolved] Aircraft RTB at min altitude

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Tech Support >> [Resolved] Aircraft RTB at min altitude Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
[Resolved] Aircraft RTB at min altitude - 10/11/2020 1:39:44 PM   
Swant

A flight of Tornados has loadout low-low-low. When I try to RTB them with the B-key they drop to 61m and I can't change it. That means there range will decrease and they starts heading for a tanker. (status: heading to refuel point Esso #2)
I press U and then B and the cykle begins again.
It seems the only way to get them home is to manually put a waypoint near the base, then they will fly there at max altitude, no problem

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Steve McClaire -- 10/20/2020 6:37:12 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Aircraft RTB at min altitude - 10/11/2020 1:41:21 PM   
Swant

save

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Swant)
Post #: 2
RE: Aircraft RTB at min altitude - 10/11/2020 8:52:10 PM   
boogabooga

I tried it.

To prevent refueling, go to the Nickel46 flight's doctrine and set 'Refuel/UNREP' to 'not allowed'.

So then the flight will hit BINGO and automatically RTB. Since it's Lo-Lo-Lo profile, they will do so at low altitude. When you try to set a manual altitude, look at the message log. It tells you that the throttle setting was overridden because of the BINGO fuel state. You have to un-assign from BINGO, then set a waypoint by your base to get there at high altitude, as you described.

I agree that it is a bit frustrating and counter-intuitive, since higher altitudes make it easier to get back to base, not harder. You do have just enough fuel to get back to base at low altitude from where you are, but be advised that your flight leader is burning a lot more fuel than his wingman due to still carrying unexpended stores.

(in reply to Swant)
Post #: 3
RE: Aircraft RTB at min altitude - 10/12/2020 1:44:16 AM   
Rory Noonan

Logged for investigation.

(in reply to boogabooga)
Post #: 4
RE: Aircraft RTB at min altitude - 10/20/2020 6:33:33 PM   
SteveMcClaire

This is working as intended. If you hit 'B' the aircraft AI will automatically get the aircraft back to base. Since the flight profile calls for low altitude and there is a tanker available the AI uses it to refuel.

If you don't want the AI to control the flight you can hit 'U' and plot a manual course, which gives you full control over speed and altitude. If you want the aircraft AI to transit at high altitude on future missions you can use the hi-lo-hi profile when you re-arm them.

(in reply to Rory Noonan)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Tech Support >> [Resolved] Aircraft RTB at min altitude Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI