Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Caguar Clan AAR

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> After Action Reports >> Caguar Clan AAR Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Caguar Clan AAR - 10/6/2020 4:35:40 AM   
Retreat1970

Hello hello! I am bored and I decided to do what I didn't want to...

An AAR!

I am the Atuuk (go figure). Challenge accepted. Settings are (going by memory): 400 star, 8x8, good starting system, expert difficulty, CHAOS (yuck), 480k research, RetreatUE (no bacon thank you 2004), 10 empires.

To note, I do use the editor for a few reasons. I rename systems, and I re-color empires if I have to (I'm half blind and dark pirate colors I can't see well). Absolutely NO cheating. If I lose I lose who cares.

Oh and I'm automating somewhat. Ship design and research are on auto. This speeds up the game a lot. Unfortunately this locks me into the Atuuk favored weapons (rail) which is fine by me (Auto design means the designs will be the same as what the AI would build and they do not deviate from the preferred race weapon or AI ship templates). Rail guns are cool.

I won't RP much. Just the facts.

We are the mighty Caguar Clan with no Caguar to hunt! Just Ale (It'll do). Decent homeworld.

-25 construction speed makes me cry.

Oooof! This is worse.

I can't see anyone yet, but the bottom right tells me I'm behind in research already. To perform the least research in the galaxy is a strange condition. On one hand you need (not really but for RP) this to be high to win, but you also need it to be low to win (last in research = death). I think I'll keep it low until the end then fire my scientists.

Shandar independent closeby. It shall be mine soon. This means a Shandar empire is closeby too. Better than a bug.

This sucks. Really sucks. It happens more than I want. I can't wait until it hits colonization research over and over...

more later...
Post #: 1
RE: Caguar Clan AAR - 10/6/2020 6:23:01 AM   
Retreat1970

...And there they are. I should note no Shakturi and spiral galaxy.

It's something I guess.

Independent Conquered. Renamed to Caguar system. Volcanic colonization now possible. A few mines about and guarded. There are quite a few pirates roaming around. All of my strategic resources are covered just by this small patch of area.

I base a lot of my resource health upon the unfulfilled column. If I have enough mines it will say 0 (all orders fulfilled). If there's a deficit I know to seek another source. Mind you, on mass refits this can go bad but if you stagger you can do a lot with a little. I ignore luxury deficits because I have no source anyways.

This I should explain. It's a personal addon. I attempted to make a super luxury in-between a real super (loros fruit etc...), and normal luxuries. It's half a super luxury development bonus but appears twice as often. If anyone wants it I can post the files. Anyhoo I got lucky and one is close by.

(in reply to Retreat1970)
Post #: 2
RE: Caguar Clan AAR - 10/6/2020 6:39:34 AM   
Retreat1970

This is, by far, the FUNNIEST thing I have ever seen in this game LOL!

Didn't take long... I usually play by some house rules (no homeworld zerg, no tech accelerating, limited spying), but I already want this over so all bets are off. I've been spying for years now and just stripping the Shandars of all their tech. Gravy. If I didn't need rail guns I wouldn't have to research at all. And this is why...

Something this awesome this early is game breaking. I thought about dismissing him, but I liked the idea of an agent using little rats with cameras stealing tech off star bases. I was also having problems getting colonization research done due to the suppression mentioned above but lo and behold 007 gets it done.

I can sense the game is over, but I shall continue...

Post #: 3
RE: Caguar Clan AAR - 10/6/2020 8:03:58 PM   
Retreat1970

This is all that's going on. I have two Colonizers in the works (one Atuuk, one Shandar). Both targets are in the Atuuk system. I've been spying constantly which led me to design this Star Base...

Normally I couldn't use fighters or missiles (not in the templates but I can still design my own). Now I have range colony defenses. At size 500 they're cheap and quick to build.

Post #: 4
RE: Caguar Clan AAR - 10/7/2020 3:19:17 AM   
Retreat1970

I read through this and realized it sounded like this was an easy game. It is not. I am having major difficulties with pirate spies (I think) or empire spies. I might have a great offensive spy but I am lacking in spy defense. I have my constructors just sitting and waiting for the "this was blown up" so I can rebuild. Every year something is blown up. Every year.

Also in every expert game I've played there is always a "bully". An AI empire that is better than everyone. My games bully is the Shandar (I hope) and he's next door. I'm keeping him passive (annoyed only). I've been keeping up, BUT I'm going broke doing so. I'm putting all effort into war preparations.

The situation.

I'm third, but that's not important. Notice the 0% on the least research condition. I'm keeping up. For atuuk that's special.

Starting to build the Shandar invaders. Atuuk are the WORST troops (I think. If not then close) so I will need so many more. That means money, and money is getting tight.

This is the last colony around (Fundur). No more expansion. Gearing up for war. I have a 40 fleet of CL's, but I want to double that. Plus more troops. It will be awhile before I can go.

This caught me off guard. It's hard to make friends in a chaos galaxy, but this guy likes me. I know they're more peaceful but I'm a rat and he's a squid so whatever I'll accept.

Post #: 5
RE: Caguar Clan AAR - 10/7/2020 4:16:44 AM   
Retreat1970

I don't see myself as a evil race (more neutral), but the bonuses are too good not to utilize (Better approval, research, and war weariness). Monarchy to Way of Darkness is a no brainer.

So here is what happens when I'm tired and rushing things. To many ships built at once leads to slowdowns. I'm rushing because of the pirates. They are so bad and hamper everything I do. I want to crush the Shandar so I can be free to eradicate pirates. Well that's the plan anyways.

This is the target. I have an exploration ship parked here to spy. 1300k is big. I'll need at least 3x that in troops. I'll have a 100 ship fleet with 60 CL's, 30 CA's, and 10 CV's. That should be plenty. It's just the ground war... Ugh.

Post #: 6
RE: Caguar Clan AAR - 10/7/2020 7:10:01 AM   
Retreat1970

If anyone would like to comment on missed opportunies, mistakes, or tips that would be great!

I can't wait anymore. I'm moving in. I'm not worried about the space battle to come, but I'm nervous about the homeworld battle. It's going to be close, but I did get Special Forces before I went so that's a +25% bonus right there.

I declared war before I went in. The Shandars are getting pounded but that's as expected. AI systems build to a certain level and a player can always go over it every time. He'll bring in all his fleets to the homeworld system from other systems to counter attack. Always happens. I'll sit and wait while I invade.

I'm pretty tired since it's 2 in the morning, and I forgot to get an initial pic of the invasion. This one is 25% the way in. No general lol. Rookie!

Part of the counter attacking. It's weak.

It's getting over. Taking awhile. This is a huge win for the Clan. I'll sue for peace when it's conquered, repair, refit, and then take the smaller systems at my leisure. Then it's pirate hunting time.

I'm not sure how much more I'll post since it's mostly rinse and repeat. Maybe just big moments.

Post #: 7
RE: Caguar Clan AAR - 10/7/2020 9:49:03 AM   
LordMM

Brilliant!! love reading these. Will read them during my lunch break at work.

Post #: 8
RE: Caguar Clan AAR - 10/7/2020 7:26:24 PM   
Retreat1970

The situation. I made peace. What a mess. 20% ship KIA and about 50% of the rest damaged. BUT celebration! Cheese sampler platters for all!

Stole this. At this point I need to retire him. 120% espionage (max). This one agent changed an expert game into a hard. At this point I would have traded his espionage skill for the counter skill. It's pirate hell. I've bought off half but I'm in a money crunch (near red).

Dang it! I am so stupid sometimes. I got complacent thinking I smacked him down hard enough he'd never get up, but if I would have done some simple research I would have realized his military is still second best and his secondary colonies are not small. I reorganized my attack fleet to about 40 ships (the ones undamaged), and I sent the rest home to repair. I set the 40 ships to defend Shandar. Luckily I left my invading troops.

While I was mucking about... War! Sensing weakness he wants it back.

Kudos to Elliot and the development team. This s**t is brilliant.

(in reply to LordMM)
Post #: 9
RE: Caguar Clan AAR - 10/7/2020 11:24:29 PM   
Retreat1970

This is all I've explored. Granted I'm still Gerax 4250 speed. My earlier assertion the the Shandar were the bullies was probably premature.

I'm probably reading too much into this, and being dramatic, but this is disheartening. The Shandar can constantly counter attack and make new colonies while I'm stuck in war mode. The longer I wait to resume my offensive the more troops he puts on his new homeworld (another 1300k? Ugh). I was hoping it would be a huge victory to take his homeworld. Instead of cleanup it's just going to be another titanic effort.

I have to re-evaluate my options. Advice?

Post #: 10
RE: Caguar Clan AAR - 10/8/2020 4:39:39 AM   
Retreat1970

Decided to invade. It's not their new homeworld so it should be easy.

State funeral services will be held this Friday 12 noon. He was the greatest Caguar Clan hero. Monuments will be erected and schools renamed.

No hope. Look a general ;)

Done and done. The Shandars immediately sued for peace which I accepted. It's time to regroup and go hunting for pirates. They've started assassinating my characters now and they have to go.

Post #: 11
RE: Caguar Clan AAR - 10/8/2020 7:15:14 AM   
Retreat1970

I took out a few Pirate bases. Quiet for awhile then...

They need to go permanently. They actually invaded a minor colony in my Shandar system and won. I got to give them credit they don't give up. I took the colony back 15 minutes later.

Homeworld invasion. Wasn't bad. The end is near.

Last two.

The Shandar Harmony is no more, but their race lives on with us. One down nine to go...

Great. Guess what I have to do.

Post #: 12
RE: Caguar Clan AAR - 10/8/2020 1:54:57 PM   
USSAmerica

I'm enjoying reading a new AAR! Thanks for posting!

Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie

Post #: 13
RE: Caguar Clan AAR - 10/8/2020 9:23:29 PM   
Retreat1970

Your welcome.

I couldn't see this at all. I was wondering why a star (capital symbol) was by a star. I need new glasses but they're sooooo expensive.

This is my only target today. If I don't get it he'll build constructors, and colony ships ad nauseum.

Other than that I'm back tracking to do all the things I ignored while at war. I'm going to colonize, get back into the black, adjust bases and fleets, and more importantly relax.

Once the Clan government decides our next move I'll repost (or if a decision has been made for me).

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 14
RE: Caguar Clan AAR - 10/9/2020 2:17:14 AM   
Retreat1970

Quick addendum to the previous post:

When starting the game corruption must have been set to high. The source of my money problems it seems. I have one regional capital but I need 10. Also...

It was at zero for a long time, but with no super spy my research is back to the slow lane.

Post #: 15
RE: Caguar Clan AAR - 10/9/2020 5:18:07 AM   
Retreat1970

Orange is the big dog. Yellow, while expansive, is weak. I'm unsure what to do. Advice?

It's impossible for me to win in 3.5 years. Private economy (blue) is so bad. Unsure why. Expert level?

Insane numbers. Medicomplex plus a +84% growth Governor. Seems to tick +13M to +14M which seems weak. Is there a max limit?

Otherwise this game is boring.

Post #: 16
RE: Caguar Clan AAR - 10/9/2020 6:34:27 AM   
Retreat1970

The plan.

Post #: 17
RE: Caguar Clan AAR - 10/9/2020 7:03:33 AM   
Retreat1970

Post #: 18
RE: Caguar Clan AAR - 10/9/2020 6:38:53 PM   
Retreat1970

It seems I had scaling off too. I need to be a little less drunk before I start games.

I'm going to call it for now. I may revisit in the future... but probably not.

Post #: 19
RE: Caguar Clan AAR - 10/12/2020 11:01:05 AM   
arvcran

Thanks for posting!

I really enjoyed playing as Pirates (unmodded).

If you are bored ... it is quite a twist from regular play.

I will at some point load up DWU/RetreatUE ... you have given me the itch ;) ... looking forward to DW2!

Post #: 20
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> After Action Reports >> Caguar Clan AAR Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI