Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Construction on railroad (no road)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> Construction on railroad (no road) Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Construction on railroad (no road) - 12/5/2020 8:08:44 PM   
mroyer

I cannot construct assets in a hex that has a functional railroad, but no road. ("Not enough IP to construct a road.")

The railroad provides rail contiguous line of logistical points from the hex back to the capitol. The manual says "In order to start construction at least a Dirt Road has to be present." The "at least" clause led me to believe a functional rail would also work.

Is this intended or should it be reported as a bug?

-Mark R.
Post #: 1
RE: Construction on railroad (no road) - 12/5/2020 8:13:45 PM   
Maerchen

If I understand the mechanic correctly, Railroads need end points to drop off logistics. A railhead or a rail station. In order to drop off he building material for your asset you need a) a road of some sort or b) a rial head there.

The logistics hell this game is IS the fun part! - Maerchen, 2020

The good thing is, we have all the information in the reports. The bad thing is, we have all the information. Maerchen, 2020

Came for SE. Will stay for SE.

(in reply to mroyer)
Post #: 2
RE: Construction on railroad (no road) - 12/5/2020 8:39:47 PM   
mroyer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Maerchen

If I understand the mechanic correctly, Railroads need end points to drop off logistics. A railhead or a rail station. In order to drop off he building material for your asset you need a) a road of some sort or b) a rial head there.

This is surely correct for full capacity use, but I thought they get some minimal use without the head (something like 5 or 10 percent) - perhaps I'm wrong on how that works.

Anyhow, it becomes a catch-22 situation - you need the railhead to use the rail to build the railhead - thus, in effect you must build a road.

-Mark R.

< Message edited by mroyer -- 12/5/2020 8:40:20 PM >

(in reply to Maerchen)
Post #: 3
RE: Construction on railroad (no road) - 12/5/2020 8:42:29 PM   
Soar_Slitherine

If the problem was logistics points, I'd think it would say it was logistics points. "Not enough IP to construct a road" means you don't have enough industrial points.

(in reply to mroyer)
Post #: 4
RE: Construction on railroad (no road) - 12/5/2020 8:59:02 PM   
mroyer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Soar_Slitherine

If the problem was logistics points, I'd think it would say it was logistics points. "Not enough IP to construct a road" means you don't have enough industrial points.

Right - not enough IP points to build a road, but the railroad is already there, so if I could use that there would be no IP cost at all... I was hoping, anyhow...

-Mark R.

(in reply to Soar_Slitherine)
Post #: 5
RE: Construction on railroad (no road) - 12/5/2020 9:21:46 PM   
Soar_Slitherine

Oh right, sorry. But yes, about 10% of the rail logistics points can still be used even if there's no railhead or station at the other end of the rail. I think I've made railheads on rails with no roads before, but I'm not 100% sure.

(in reply to mroyer)
Post #: 6
RE: Construction on railroad (no road) - 12/5/2020 9:34:29 PM   
Destragon

I think it may be that it's currently not possible to build assets on rails. I think it needs normal roads. It's not possible to use air bridges to construct assets either and Vic mentioned that it's something that is going to need a lot more work and might have to wait for the navy update.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Maerchen

You don't need a railhead to access the rail's logistics points. The logistics points on top of rail tiles are usable the same way as the ones on road tiles. The reason you need railheads is, because otherwise the train station won't be able to deliver a lot of logistics points into that branch of your rail network.

< Message edited by Destragon -- 12/5/2020 9:38:21 PM >

(in reply to Maerchen)
Post #: 7
RE: Construction on railroad (no road) - 12/6/2020 12:14:32 AM   
mroyer

quote:

I think it needs normal roads. It's not possible to use air bridges to construct assets either and Vic mentioned that it's something that is going to need a lot more work and might have to wait for the navy update.

Okay, this is good - I hope you remember correctly

I wasn't sure whether it was a bug to be reported, feature to be dealt with, or future-development to be anticipated.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts on the issue.
-Mark R.

< Message edited by mroyer -- 12/6/2020 12:15:32 AM >

(in reply to Destragon)
Post #: 8
RE: Construction on railroad (no road) - 12/6/2020 12:19:10 AM   
zgrssd

quote:

ORIGINAL: mroyer

I cannot construct assets in a hex that has a functional railroad, but no road. ("Not enough IP to construct a road.")

The railroad provides rail contiguous line of logistical points from the hex back to the capitol. The manual says "In order to start construction at least a Dirt Road has to be present." The "at least" clause led me to believe a functional rail would also work.

Is this intended or should it be reported as a bug?

-Mark R.

I am about 90% sure this is intentional. Railroads seem intended as a secondary Logistics network. With Roads being the primary one.
As was mentioend, the same rule applies to Air-bridges - they also do not count like roads for connections. But that is propably because they seem entirely based on the Railroad mechanic.

Destragon raised a good point of this maybe needing a rework with Naval. It can be physically impossible to drive a road to the asset on the other end of a Naval connection.

Maybe Vic could add something like a "Worker Camp", that works as a miniature city and that can be placed on the other end of a Airbridge/Naval Line to provide a local "city" of sorts until a proper city is captured?

(in reply to mroyer)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> Construction on railroad (no road) Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI