Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Troop numbers around Warsaw and Diplomacy

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII: World at War >> Troop numbers around Warsaw and Diplomacy Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Troop numbers around Warsaw and Diplomacy - 4/24/2021 1:57:50 PM   
wobbleguts

Hi,

Playing as Germany, 1939 campaign (with a few mods).

I noticed a red exclamation mark next to Warsaw. When I hover the cursor on it, it says 'Having more than 18 units within 10 hexes of Warsaw increases Soviet mobilisation'.

I don't think I've seen that before. Is it part of a recent patch update? Also, a 10 hex range from Warsaw seems a little extreme. Berlin is only 9 hexes away! When I gathered some forces for a strategically brilliant lightning strike against Yugoslavia, a lot of them were also within this 10 hex danger zone. Does the 18 unit count include German allied units eg, Hungary (which is only 6 hexes away)?

< Message edited by wobbleguts -- 4/25/2021 10:47:35 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Troop numbers around Warsaw - 4/24/2021 2:46:55 PM   
Platoonist

No, it's not part of the recent patch. It's mentioned in the strategy manual in the section about the Partition of Poland. I'm not sure why it isn't covered in the game manual. It least it doesn't kick in until January 1941.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Platoonist -- 4/24/2021 2:48:22 PM >

(in reply to wobbleguts)
Post #: 2
RE: Troop numbers around Warsaw and diplomacy - 4/24/2021 2:53:21 PM   
wobbleguts

Thanks.

This does raise another issue about diplomacy that I was saving for a future post.....

So, in the example above the USSR could move 2-3% towards the allies if I have more than 18 units near Warsaw. I understand that, but what do the diplomatic leaning figures actually mean in terms of game play? In my last game (playing as Axis), I spent diplomacy points on the USSR and I thought we were pretty chummy, but when I invaded Syria and Egypt they declared war on me. This was a complete surprise and while I could have crushed their regime with my superior forces and tactical genius I re-started the game to try again.

I realise the USSR has an interest in Iraq (next to Syria), but I thought we were friends! In the game previous to that one it didn't happen. What changed?

I am now at the same stage in my brand new game. I have an invasion fleet heading to Egypt and Tunisia (not Syria). Will the USSR declare war when they land? I have no idea. USSR is leaning towards the Allies 70% which is about the same level as the last 2 games.

The manual is very short on diplomatic info. It says - 'Once a country has reached 90% Mobilization it will automatically enter the war within a few turns'.

OK, but where can you see how your diplomacy has affected mobilisation? Are there diplomatic figures that cross a line? ie, diplomatic leaning number that means a country can or cannot declare war on you?

Hope my question makes sense. At the moment I am pumping MPPs into diplomacy in the hope it helps but have no idea how it works.

< Message edited by wobbleguts -- 4/25/2021 10:48:06 AM >

(in reply to Platoonist)
Post #: 3
RE: Troop numbers around Warsaw and diplomacy - 4/25/2021 8:23:54 PM   
BillRunacre

Hi wobbleguts

Countries like the USSR will be influenced by events going on in the world, so Axis aggression/advances may trigger the USSR to swing towards the Allies, though your diplomatic events may help to counteract this, potentially delaying conflict with the USSR.

Typically, successes that didn't happen in real life that weaken the UK, such as Sealion or taking Egypt, will alert Stalin to the fact that the balance of power in Europe is swinging towards the Axis and he will need to step up military preparations/prepare for war.

But it's the sum of all the pushes and pulls in both directions that determine when they enter the war.

The USSR won't necessarily enter the war as a result of one action, it all depends on their Mobilization % at the time, because typically scripted events will move them a certain % towards/away from the Allies, and so if they already have a high mobilization % then they may enter the war in response to an Axis action, but if their mobilization level is low then this is very unlikely.

However, as their mobilization level increases so does their income, as they steadily gear up for war. This is where your diplomatic endeavours, particularly early in the game may help by reducing Soviet income over multiple turns, if it is successful.

I hope that helps?

Bill

Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/FurySoftware

We're also on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/FurySoftware/

(in reply to wobbleguts)
Post #: 4
RE: Troop numbers around Warsaw and diplomacy - 4/27/2021 3:05:14 PM   
wobbleguts

quote:

ORIGINAL: BillRunacre

Hi wobbleguts

Countries like the USSR will be influenced by events going on in the world, so Axis aggression/advances may trigger the USSR to swing towards the Allies, though your diplomatic events may help to counteract this, potentially delaying conflict with the USSR.

Typically, successes that didn't happen in real life that weaken the UK, such as Sealion or taking Egypt, will alert Stalin to the fact that the balance of power in Europe is swinging towards the Axis and he will need to step up military preparations/prepare for war.

But it's the sum of all the pushes and pulls in both directions that determine when they enter the war.

The USSR won't necessarily enter the war as a result of one action, it all depends on their Mobilization % at the time, because typically scripted events will move them a certain % towards/away from the Allies, and so if they already have a high mobilization % then they may enter the war in response to an Axis action, but if their mobilization level is low then this is very unlikely.

However, as their mobilization level increases so does their income, as they steadily gear up for war. This is where your diplomatic endeavours, particularly early in the game may help by reducing Soviet income over multiple turns, if it is successful.

I hope that helps?

Bill

It does help in that spending diplomacy points just delays the inevitable. Sooner or later the USSR/USA will declare war despite the fact I didn't do anything directly against them. As the leader of the third Reich I find their behavior despicable and traitorous. I would never do anything like that. Shame on them.

(in reply to BillRunacre)
Post #: 5
RE: Troop numbers around Warsaw and diplomacy - 8/2/2021 9:52:43 AM   
thomashawk

Hello. Adding to this queestion:

Does the number also include German ships in ports or open water?

(in reply to wobbleguts)
Post #: 6
RE: Troop numbers around Warsaw and diplomacy - 8/2/2021 3:38:08 PM   
Hubert Cater

Hi Thomashawk,

No, just land units in this case.

Hubert

(in reply to thomashawk)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII: World at War >> Troop numbers around Warsaw and Diplomacy Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI