Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Little known facts about military history.

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> Little known facts about military history. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Little known facts about military history. - 2/11/2021 3:01:17 PM   
larryfulkerson

There is a little known story circulating among the British SAS teams currently operating in several classified locations in the middle east. It seems that sometime in October of 2019 there was a new anti-aircraft device that was scheduled to be deployed to all the teams depending on how well it did in actual combat conditions. A mission was developed to insert an SAS "special" team in a classified location ( which, as it happens, looks remarkably similar on a map to the terrain near As Sulaymaniyah, Iraq, a location near the western border of Iran ) to test the new device.

The team was inserted and humped overnight approx. 12Km to a good position with ample vegetation for cover and concealment where the team set their security and readied everything to test the device, awaiting the dawn hour. Several hours after the insertion a message was radioed to the team that unfortunately due to an admin fupaw the device wasn't actually "released for testing" quite yet.

The paperwork for the certification of the device needed the inclusion of a certain bit of information before it would be "legal" to test the device. The problem seemed to be the "throw-range" of the device, which at the time was classified [ and therefore the information wasn't included in the application for certification for the device]. Consequently it was actually officially disaproved for testing. "Disapproved" was stamped in red ink in the approved/disapproved box on the form, above which, in black ink, some helpful wag had added: "Resubmit within 30 days for final Disapproval."

To solve the problem it was proprosed that the team gather it's members and "throw" it. The team leader suggested they disassemble and remove the fuctional core of the device from the vehicle it was mounted on [ which I believe is called a "Jeep-Nee" ]. The device was of course designed to be used "stand-alone" if need be, and configured that way, weighed approx. 48Kg [ about 108 pounds ]. The entire team, at the time consisting of 12 highly trained individuals, who lended their effort and the mechanism was lifted and at the count of three was "thrown" downrange. It seems it landed 2 meters away. The team official entered "2 meters" for the throw-range of the device, the device was immediately approved and the SAS team replaced it on the vehicle. The results of the test are still officially classified but it is believed that it worked as a charm.

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 2/12/2021 8:43:37 PM >

If we're all created in the image of god then why aren't we all invisible?
Post #: 1
RE: Little known facts about military history. - 2/11/2021 11:33:30 PM   
sPzAbt653

Fascinating.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to larryfulkerson)
Post #: 2
RE: Little known facts about military history. - 3/10/2021 12:45:19 PM   
altipueri

Weren't there different grenades where some had a kill range greater than their throw range?

So duck.

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 3
RE: Little known facts about military history. - 3/10/2021 1:37:40 PM   
Lobster

quote:

ORIGINAL: altipueri

Weren't there different grenades where some had a kill range greater than their throw range?

So duck.

Depends on who is throwing it. Tom Brady or Tom Smith.

http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Q: What do you call a boomerang that doesn’t come back?
A: A stick.

(in reply to altipueri)
Post #: 4
RE: Little known facts about military history. - 3/11/2021 1:33:37 AM   
Simon Edmonds

I can remember being a the grenade range one day. Some motivationally impaired person (not me) decided to cut down on walking by parking the truck a 30 meters behind where we were doing the practice. When we returned to the truck after the practice the windshield of the truck was shattered and had a hole from a grenade fragment.
Morale of the story?

Always duck!

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> Little known facts about military history. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI