Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Mine layers - Set up question can they use more than one mine.

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Scenario Design and Modding >> Mine layers - Set up question can they use more than one mine. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Mine layers - Set up question can they use more than on... - 7/26/2020 4:21:37 PM   
Cavalry Corp

Is it possible to allocate more than one type of mine to a ML and that ship uses what is in the pool, if for instance one has run out. In my current game of another mod my opponent says that he has tons of mines of one type but no ship carries them. Wanted to address this

What order woud a ship load mines , the order in the table of allocations or by the weapon number - or something else?

Or we look at the ships and spread the types of mines round in we hope a semi historical fashion, this is a hypothetical mod.

Advice appreciated.

Post #: 1
RE: Mine layers - Set up question can they use more tha... - 7/26/2020 5:37:02 PM   
Alfred

Read pages 134-138 of the manual.

Alfred

(in reply to Cavalry Corp)
Post #: 2
RE: Mine layers - Set up question can they use more tha... - 7/26/2020 7:35:40 PM   
Cavalry Corp

Thanks , yes I have re read it - it suggests that CM,DM and CMc may not have a more than one mine type assigned? My hope was they could and could then draw from a pool that had some mines rather than load nothing as their main choice was empty. But its a bit hazy about ships as Aux ML 6.6.1.3.2.2. seems to suggest they may have the ability to have more than one mine type weapon slot. I would have thought it would be the other way round and proper ML ships would have the ability to carry more than one type.

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 3
RE: Mine layers - Set up question can they use more tha... - 7/26/2020 9:28:52 PM   
RangerJoe

Different mines have different shapes and sizes. You would have to change the mine racks.

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

Post #: 4
RE: Mine layers - Set up question can they use more tha... - 7/27/2020 8:20:29 AM   
Alfred

quote:

ORIGINAL: cavalry

Thanks , yes I have re read it - it suggests that CM,DM and CMc may not have a more than one mine type assigned? My hope was they could and could then draw from a pool that had some mines rather than load nothing as their main choice was empty. But its a bit hazy about ships as Aux ML 6.6.1.3.2.2. seems to suggest they may have the ability to have more than one mine type weapon slot. I would have thought it would be the other way round and proper ML ships would have the ability to carry more than one type.

You have misread the manual.

In any case what you want to do seriously risks unbalancing the game. Mine production and delivery in AE is carefully calibrated. Only a player who is careless with his delivery assets is going to end up with no delivery platform plus great stocks of mines in the pool. If careful, the mod designer has erred by making mine production too plentiful.

There is not a single thing in AE which can be modded without it having significant flow on effects elsewhere. Not understanding the flow on effects and how to address them, always without exception, unbalances the game. Most private modders are simply unable to critically look at their work and spot the imbalance they introduce. There is no point in playing an unbalanced private mod and then complaining about not liking the consequences.

Alfred

Post #: 5
RE: Mine layers - Set up question can they use more tha... - 7/27/2020 11:53:16 AM   
Cavalry Corp

Alfred,

Thanks for the tips. I quite realise how changes make things unplayable at times, suffered it myself.

I have not changed mine production. I just checked stock , mine and another mod its about the same.
What I was asking was how to tackle the issue that some pools of mines have no ships that seem to use them.
Maybe the best way to do this is to go back to one of the stock scenarios and revise realistic load outs based on that.

Michael

< Message edited by cavalry -- 7/27/2020 12:13:35 PM >

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 6
RE: Mine layers - Set up question can they use more tha... - 7/27/2020 6:51:44 PM   
RangerJoe

See what types of ships use what types of mines. There is a USA mine that is only delivered by a mine laying sub, I do believe. If that mine laying sub is converted to a submarine transport, then there are no ships available to lay that mine. In that case, use the mines up and when those mines are no longer produced then convert the sub.

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

Post #: 7
RE: Mines - Where by starting location in the Editor? - 1/28/2021 5:52:56 PM   
Dan1977

New question: Where in the Scenario Editor is the place where I can find the number of mines emplaced by location at the start of a scenario? I already know where the mines are located in the Devices Tab, and the Weapons slots in Ship Classes. In the Whole War campaign, several bases start with mines already in the water.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 8
RE: Mines - Where by starting location in the Editor? - 1/28/2021 9:25:56 PM   
LargeSlowTarget

It's nowhere in the editor, you cannot mod the number and location of mines already placed at scenario start - it is hardcoded.

(in reply to Dan1977)
Post #: 9
RE: Mines - Where by starting location in the Editor? - 1/28/2021 11:32:44 PM   
Dan1977

To LargeSlowTarget, Thanks. I suspected as much. That will save me time looking around Editor.

(in reply to LargeSlowTarget)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Scenario Design and Modding >> Mine layers - Set up question can they use more than one mine. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI