Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Comments and Issues

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Flashpoint Campaigns Series >> Comments and Issues Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Comments and Issues - 2/21/2021 6:05:19 AM   
Scarz

I must admit to having something of a love hate relationship to this game. I played the original Red Storm for a while, but something just didn’t sit right with me and put it aside. However, I recently purchased Germany Reforged and have played a couple scenarios to completion, or near completion. All this said, I have a few complaints, or maybe better said comments/questions. Others may have covered some of these points in other posts and if so I apologize for rehashing.
Also, I have not played via pbem/multiplayer, so some of what’s to follow might just be the AI “cheating.” If so, please let me know and that’s fine…

1. Infantry units are too vulnerable in towns and city terrain. The old adage if you can see it you can kill it on the modern battlefield argues against this point, but I’m not sure they would be all that hard to spot, even with their vehicles, in dense or urban terrain. They are very susceptible to artillery and direct fires; much more than I think is reasonable when stationary and with good cover and concealment. Infantry units either need to be harder to spot or harder to kill in terrain, especially in towns or rough. Probably both.
2. Recon units are also much too easy to kill. As they behave now, they are just smaller weaker versions of line units. They also need to be harder to spot or harder to kill or both. Further, once they are spotted, it seems they need to immediately (as fast as they can react) drop into screen mode and blend back into terrain (if possible) which would increase their hide level. In one scenario as WP I lost an entire battalion+ worth of recon units in the opening couple of phases. They just kept rolling along their order paths as they were destroyed. Could be poor planning on my part, but a change in how they behave once contact is made would be helpful I think. Changing stance once engaged, and trying to hide and reroute seems doable as a unit behavior.
3. Helos seem much too vulnerable to SAM and AAA fire at very long ranges. The limited off board air units also seem to have this issue. Helos would be flying low and should thus be harder to acquire and engage at a long distance, although some bad luck is fine in this regard. Same with air units.
4. Artillery seems too powerful. I know they are the king of battle and all, but hitting units that are stationary and in good cover seem a bit too powerful.
5. Line of sight seems a bit wonky at times. Units seem to fire through town and forest terrain. I am willing to concede that there might be gaps and foliage density may account for some anomalies, it seems to happen often.
6. The targeting of HQs is great, but seems a little overboard in effect and frequency. It should also be tied with orders given and received, right? If so, I am not sure it’s working that way.

Does anyone agree, will some of these points be address in the next installment?

Thanks, just had to vent some frustrations what I believe is ultimately a good game.
Post #: 1
RE: Comments and Issues - 2/21/2021 12:29:16 PM   
CapnDarwin

Scarz,

A number of good points for how Red Storm works (or doesn't) in certain cases. The game does give units in built-up terrain a better protection value when attacked. Recon units are a bit harder to spot and spot units further away than normal units and they are not restricted to command ranges. Most of your points above revolve around the spotting of units and how that then triggers attacks and losses. There are some spotting issues in Red Storm in the way we looked at reciprocal LOS. That can lead to cases of A spotting B, but B not seeing A. We have completely redone the spotting model in Southern Storm (and many other things as well) and that should address many if not all of your issues. As for HQs getting located, yes Red Storm does look at generated orders. As for helo and aircraft being vulnerable when they attack, depending on the mission and movement type we consider them to be terrain masking to the best of their ability. A key factor to using both is to suppress as much of the opposing air defense as possible and make sure those units rest if their readiness drops as that impacts situational awareness and ability to defend.

One other key point to Red Storm. There is no AI cheating. The AI does not know where unspotted units are. There are no calculation biases for the AI in spotting or combat as well.

I hope this helps to answer your questions.

OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LLC

(in reply to Scarz)
Post #: 2
RE: Comments and Issues - 2/21/2021 2:07:59 PM   
Scarz

Thank you for responding to my long list of comments/suggestions. I hope at a minimum, you all consider the infantry units gaining some additional defensive bonuses in terrain in Southern Storm.

Thanks and carry on the good work.

(in reply to CapnDarwin)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Flashpoint Campaigns Series >> Comments and Issues Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI