Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Why are we here?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Why are we here? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Why are we here? - 8/18/2003 8:04:08 PM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

I mean that sincerely, why exactly are we here?

I have been with Matrix Games now for almost 4 years eh.

I am almost entirely positive I found Matrix Games in connection with Steel Panthers, but in 2000, well Steel Panthers was essentially it more or less eh.

I have stayed since. I could have wandered off I suppose.
In the first year or so of my being around the forum was constantly buzzing with Steel Panthers posts. There was always someone posting about this or that or the other thing.
It seemed the game was always "desperately in need of "fixing".

I was never entirely sure the game was in dire peril though. Each new version that came out "just had to be the last one". I was certain, I mean rock solid certain to ask for anything past 5.1 was the height of lunacy. It was a free game after all, and worth every mega byte downloaded.

I still recall my first download too. Fresh from getting a computer magazine with it on a cd, and the cd was a coaster. Man I was irate, 11 bucks wasted. Because I am not a computer gamer mostly, and the magazine had not a single article in it I wanted to read.
So I downloaded the game right from the source. It was 4.1 when I started, and by the time I had a real copy on cd it had miraculously gone to 4.3. I took my hard drive down to a friends place, put it in his machine, and burned the game to a cd just to be safe. He had only recently gotten a cd burner too, it was really cool having access to a cd burner then.
But that first download , man what an experience. I phoned family and friends and told them look my phone is going offline so just forget calling me. Told all my online friends if you need me ICQ me otherwise I am busy. Took my computer and my then humble dial up connection 2 and 3/4 solid days of downloading. And of course I used Getright, I did not want to have to do this twice. I still had a miserable online time limit type account as well.

What a change the forum has made since then.

Now when I come on, I have to scroll waaaaaaaaaaay down to get to Steel Panthers. Not surprising I decided to heck with that, I am going to make General Discussions the default best forum here if I have to single handedly.
I don't think it was actually me that made the General Discussions forum active though hehe.

Matrix Games today is sitting on a goldmine. They have an advertising perk money can't buy in my opinion. It cost the site owners good money to give us Steel Panthers as a free downloadable program. And it cost them a lot of sweat and toil to see it made into the SPWaW version as well. But it was an effective tool. Few online sites of note can claim to have done something as substantial as produce a game of its magnitude and then just given it away.
Picture your next big game purchase, and then picture the company having spent hour after hour perfecting it just so they can give it to you free.
People can call me fanboy or any other slag that suits them, frankly Matrix Games has done me a great favour, and they have earned my friendship.

With some luck, Matrix Games will enjoy releasing several titles over the next 2 years, and earn a firm and rock solid foothold in wargames production. And that is assuming you don't think they haven't already done so.
People claim annoyance over the fact Matrix Games doesn't do demos. Matrix Games doesn't "need" to do demos. Their games are already better promoted than most other companies games are even with demos.
If you can't come here and find enough information about one of their games, then my advice is open your damned eyes man.

I want Matrix Games to in a few years, "be the way things are done". I want the industry making comments like, "now if Matrix Games can do it, then so can you."
Back in the hey days of Avalon Hill, people would hold you up and say, hey if AH can do it, so can you. Until shown otherwise, Matrix Games is today's AH.

I wasn't the ever recognised dude I am now for quite some time eh. I think I can say with some certainty though, that I am a fairly familiar face today. I like it :)
Is there life outside of Matrix Games? sure there is. Doesn't say much though.
Outside of my home I can find deserts, wastelands, barren locations if I go far enough. I can find other places like home too. But I like home.
Explains why I like Matrix Games :)

I like wargaming intensely, I like people that like wargaming like me. I am not saying my style is wargaming is the best, but I like my style the best (is that some sort of surprise? hehe). I come here knowing the people here (for the most part) are here because they expect to find people they expect to be more or less similar.

Some appear to come here and then discard the place like a used newspaper. That's their business.

I didn't come to Matrix Games just to get a free download and then leave. Then again, forums at that time were still fairly new to me. I have not been inhabiting forums for nearly as long as I have been enjoying the wonders of being online.
People think I am seemingly in here all the time. Truth is I am nornally online chatting with someone (could be your wife hehe).

But I do enjoy coming in here and checking out who's in and what is currently the latest gossip. I have found out almost every cool computer wargaming bit of news thanks to a wargaming forum. The print media seems to be more or less dead. I have no money to spend on wargaming magazines any more. To slow and to yesterday.

You only get out of something what you put into it.
Today you could join meet some great people and who knows maybe even see them in person through good fortune.
Or you could download something, and leave never to be seen again.
I have met maaaaaaaybe 3 persons here at Matrix Games who have behaved in an annoying manner. I have no idea how many I have met and enjoyed conversing with. I have met numerous good friends. I wish I could share a beer with quite a few too.

I have had the pleasure of making my ability to download easily now, an option for those still stuck employing the older slower dial up means of connection. I have burned to cd quite a few copies of the Steel Panthers download data to cd and then mailed it to most corners of the globe.
Another happy wargamer is a good thing.

So guys (and gals when we are blessed with them), why are you here?
Keep in mind you can get a lot out of being here, or next to nothing from having come here. Only yu can make that choice, and if you got nothing out of being here, perhaps that was all you were trying to get out of it.

Yeah it was a friggin long post, I hope everyone enjoyed the comments :) .

I LIKE that my life bothers them,
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.
Post #: 1
- 8/18/2003 9:02:02 PM   
Kung Karl

Nice writing and of course well written words! Last year Matrix games didn't ship in Europe, to my knowledge at least, and I was realy sad about that. The games looked so good and I was angry that serious wargames didn't get realeased in Sweden. :(

Well, now tha Matrix games are availible and I can buy the other games from duchet I am a very happy wargamer and joined up these forums to take part in the community.

It is also nice to se wargames that actually plays like wargames instead of fantasy crap like Hearts of Iron. We only had those type of games here earlier.

(in reply to Les_the_Sarge_9_1)
Post #: 2
- 8/19/2003 12:55:23 AM   
Blunderbuss

As I've said in a previous post, I found this website almost by accident while rummaging throught the PC strategy list on Gamefaqs. I like these forums because they are so well populated. Each day there is something new worth reading here. Also, been a PC newcomer, I'm always looking for advice on what others may consider to be the basics of home computing.

I actually thought turn-based games were a thing of the past. Now I find myself enjoying Strategic Command (yes, I know it's by a rival company, but what the heck....), and I'll almost certainly be trying out more complex tbs games in the near future. This type of game could be exactly what I need to refresh my jaded, console-weary videogame appetite.:)

Post #: 3
- 8/19/2003 1:20:13 AM   
Kung Karl

Blunderbuss, do you want to play a pbem game of Strategic Command against me? I cant PM you. Why not?

Post #: 4
- 8/19/2003 10:04:05 AM   
junk2drive

is there any other game maker who listens to the buyers, then offers free upgrades/changes/addons? i would/will buy a new product from matrix, knowing that if it isnt right they will make it so. we all are proof of that.

i enjoy the "family" here. i have seen people from all over the world lend a hand to fellow players. i have learned how to play my game. i have been to other forums, they tend to turn into childish name calling, this game is better than that game, and so on.

i have left here for a time, then returned, with a feeling that i missed something.

thats why i'm here

Post #: 5
- 8/19/2003 10:35:44 AM   
brent_2

I came here (no doubt with many other Close Combat junkies) with the promise of something new...this was before Combat Leader and Close Assault were split into two titles, one more like SPWAW and the other the (hopefully) sucessor to Close Combat.

I tend to follow a company when it does things I like

think...Avalon Hill...360 Pacific...Atomic...I tended to keep coming back and watching them...Matrix is now it, and along with CSO, probably what I consider "home" on the web (outside of my own sites :D )

Another thing I enjoy is the maturity of the people who frequent Matrix...I note the birthdays at the bottom of the forum list and see many people way out of their 20's...I tend to get turned of by juvenile forums and too much reading through the "HaxorZ Rulez you suxorZ!!11!!1" that will put me off right quick.

Matrix has been responsible, darn near singlehandedly, of getting me interested in turn and hex based wargames again...SPWAW, Korsun Pocket, Uncommon Valor, have all whetted my appetite for a type of game I had put aside. I also follow Shrapnel, Battlefront, and HPS's efforts...I own BCT, tried Tacops, have had TOP, but the titles Matrix is pursuing have caught my interest more, perhaps due to the resemblance to the games I enjoyed most. with Battlefields (replaces no longer working V4V and W@W series) Flashpoint Germany (replacing MBT (board game :) )), Combat Leader (SPWAW / maybe ASL?) Close Assault (Close Combat), Airbourne Assault...EYSA...

I'll be a poorer but happy gamer

All I need now is a Harpoon replacement that will actually happen ;)

Post #: 6
- 8/19/2003 11:02:55 AM   
Randy

Like many others I also stumbled into Matrix while looking for SP stuff. When I learned they were doing a remake of the game, and people were actually able to make imputs into the game I decided to stay. The wealth of information many of these people had was beyond belief. When the first version of SPWAW came out I was hooked. Everyone who participated made a contribution to the gaming community.

The different forums are very informative. There are so many, that some I have never even been to. From covering the various games, to weapons/OOBs, and the current topics of the day in the wargamers forums all have brought a great deal of insight into the wargaming community.

Eventhough Steel Panthers was the main focus of the Matrix site (at least for me) I believe that when Combat Leader comes out there will be an upsurge in members as new members join up. I believe this will be because CL will be more than just an evolution of SP. I don't know but I bet there are many SP fans out there who don't even know about this site. I am sure they will find out about this site once CL comes out.

I may be partial, but I think Matrix is the best out there! Besides the staff, the members on the forums have made this the best site. Keep up the good work!

Semper Fi
Randy

The United States Marines: America's 911 Force-The Tip of the Spear

Post #: 7
- 8/19/2003 4:26:16 PM   
Raverdave

This is indeed a fine place to be.............the people here act in a way that fits the definition of "mate". I have had people send me music CD when they found out that I had been robbed and had lost my CD collection, I have had postcards from far away lands, I send and receive books, and have even hooked up with and shared a beer with some of them. All this and more from a forum !

Sure you get the odd soul whom seems to be a kangaroo short in the top paddock, but all in all the people here are just great. And I count most of you as mates.

Never argue with an idiot, he will only drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Post #: 8
- 8/19/2003 5:01:07 PM   
U2

Well I think I read on a gaming site that used to have an excellent wargaming section about the remake of Grigsby's WIR and PACWAR....once here I learned about the fact that he was making two new games for Matrix toghether with Joel and Keith at 2by3. Took me some time to register at the forum and once after that quite some time before I started posting. It all started 3 months before UV came out :) And look today I am testing Grigsby's games. I like many people on this forum and it's always nice to come back.

Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Why are we here? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote