Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

My Biennial attempt to learn this game

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> My Biennial attempt to learn this game Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
My Biennial attempt to learn this game - 3/12/2021 11:10:13 AM   
Angron

Hey everyone I am reposting this thread I made on the steam forums bc of a suggestion there!

Hey I've tried to get into this game for years and watched a bunch of tutorials but I don't really understand how this works. I kind of understand some of the basic concepts and started watching a series by strategydojo and I just got to the beginning of the air war video but JESUS its 11 hours long!!! I can't listen to anymore of it (only way I could). So I gave up bc I couldn't finish watching such a long video series.

For years I've tried on and off to get into this and I just don't get it. Like how many hexes do you usually move things? Deliberate or Quick attacks? How the HELL do you keep track of everything let alone plan ahead?!

Its very frustrating bc I love history and complicated historical strategy games but I have continuously failed to learn this.

How did you guys do it?

These are some of the more specific questions I came up with when trying to play its more to give an idea of the sort of issues I am grappling with here.

For example I don't know what to bomb, or why, or what the result was, and how many times to do it. What do I use to punch a hole through the front lines? How do I know I am doing well? Like at what point do I know I am doing poorly or now when implementing plans?
Post #: 1
RE: My Biennial attempt to learn this game - 3/12/2021 1:07:22 PM   
JoeLewis

If you go to the WITE Library, there is a guide for the Road to Leningrad scenario which best explains the basics of the game. I did that one and then the Road to Minsk scenario to practice encirclements as the Germans. Then I did a grand campaign against the AI before looking for other plays on these forums to play against. I had this game for two years before I even started playing it.

(in reply to Angron)
Post #: 2
RE: My Biennial attempt to learn this game - 3/12/2021 1:21:27 PM   
joelmar

You probably take the game too cerebrally.

Just play and see what happens. That is how most people learn the game. There is no magic recipe and it takes time and experience to master.

For strategies, if you have no idea, just try to recreate the real Barbarossa and see if you can follow RL. This will be also your guide to know how well you're doing.

For punching through lines, use what is available, but preferably infantry when possible, which is not always possible of course. Search for weaker point in enemy line to exploit, but also try to avoid far reaching actions in bad terrain (extreme example: don't send the panzers in the Pripyat!!!)

Don't worry too much about bombing objectives, there are no big benefits from bombing to be had for the Axis. Use your bombers in Ground Support instead to help smooth out strong points.

Axis don't have numbers, they have power. So use a hammer and punch mentality. Concentrate your troops where you want to hit as much as possible. Guard quieter parts of the front with splitted regiments.

"The closer you get to the meaning, the sooner you'll know that you're dreamin'" -Dio

(in reply to Angron)
Post #: 3
RE: My Biennial attempt to learn this game - 3/12/2021 3:16:45 PM   
redrum68

Yeah, I had the same experience until I pushed through the learning curve. Here is the thread I posted what I did to learn the game: https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4771870. Also you should join the discord group, Hex!, as its the best place to quickly ask questions and get answers.

(in reply to joelmar)
Post #: 4
RE: My Biennial attempt to learn this game - 3/12/2021 3:47:06 PM   
CJM

Angron:

The Commander's Report (hot key "c") is key -- for example, it makes it very easy to narrow down what the status of your units are. In addition, the menu buttons along the top of the map can also show you which units are isolated, too far from the HQ, etc.

The computer does much for you that used to require the player (when using a printed map with cardboard units) to do for themselves. At a glance you can see a lot of information that used to require you to count hexes and place additional counters on the board.

I played GCW's Fire in the East and Scorched Earth, and I find WiTE and WiTW more challenging and complex, but at the same time easier to play. The latter go into greater depth as the computer takes over a lot of the work for you...which means there's a lot of OTHER stuff for you to work on.

Bottom line, just keep playing the game and consult the manual and reach out on the forum when you have questions. That worked for me. Best of luck and keep gaming!

The Wehrmacht that set out to conquer Russia in 1941 was a poor army with strictly limited resources.
- Supplying War (1977)

(in reply to Angron)
Post #: 5
RE: My Biennial attempt to learn this game - 3/12/2021 7:00:59 PM   
wwtiger89

I was in the same boat, only with War in the Pacific. I can offer my insights as I also own WITE (and have pre-ordered WITE2), and I am planning to actively work with both...

The first thing I had to come to grips with was what I was looking for in a game, along with the time I had available to invest in them. My wife and I are now "empty-nesters" so I've had more time come available to me, and I'm ready to get into these in all their glory (so to speak).

These are MASSIVELY deep games. For War in the East, you actually have some options that are on a smaller scale than WiTP, but to really get your money's worth, you will want to do all in. There is a reason that Strategy Gaming Dojo's tutorial is 11 hours (he also has one for WiTP that is similar in length).

When I initially bought these, I didn't have the time, so I had to focus in other areas (I got into the John Tiller games, and still enjoy those).

What has gotten me playing with WiTP (and the same approach I will take with WiTE), was following Dojo's Let's Play series. That "clicked" with me a lot quicker than the tutorials. I figure if I want to go more in depth on a subject, I can refer back to the tutorial that is applicable.

Anyway, that is what is worked with me. Your mileage may vary...

(in reply to CJM)
Post #: 6
RE: My Biennial attempt to learn this game - 3/12/2021 7:43:44 PM   
Zemke

How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time!

"Actions Speak Louder than Words"

(in reply to wwtiger89)
Post #: 7
RE: My Biennial attempt to learn this game - 3/24/2021 2:47:56 AM   
IslandInland

Just play the game.

It really is that simple. Move units and attack other units. Do that some more.

Read the manual.

It's only a game and the more you play the more you will learn.

Don't over think it.

War In The East 2 Beta Tester and
War In The West Operation Torch Beta Tester
XXXCorps

(in reply to Angron)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> My Biennial attempt to learn this game Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI