Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

[Logged] Steam - Verify Integrity of Game Files

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Tech Support >> [Logged] Steam - Verify Integrity of Game Files Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
[Logged] Steam - Verify Integrity of Game Files - 12/30/2019 6:30:24 PM   
Havoc11

Hoping a dev can help with this please.

An hour ago, I verified the intgrity of the game files in Steam, it reported 489 files failed to validate and were reacquired. I've just verified again and it's reported 298 files failed to validate and were reacquired.

Why are there so many files missing and failing to validate in the first place and then again why after such a short period of time there are still many more that fail to validate ?

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by apache85 -- 1/3/2020 11:33:23 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Steam - Verify Integrity of Game Files - 12/31/2019 6:56:13 AM   
Havoc11

As I'm unable to post further screenshots and links to screenshots here due to the limitations of the forum, I've posted more screenshots in the official CMO Discord in the report_bugs channel.

I've done the verify integrity of game files several times now and each time I do it, it reports a large number of files failed the validation.

What is this issue? I've never seen it before with any other game in Steam.

(in reply to Havoc11)
Post #: 2
RE: Steam - Verify Integrity of Game Files - 12/31/2019 8:07:47 AM   
guanotwozero

Did you install the dev build from this forum?

If so, I'd expect files to be changed. 489 is a large number, but that may account for the various scenarios being updated.

I'm puzzled by the subsequent 289 - did you install anything in between, or even just play the game?

(in reply to Havoc11)
Post #: 3
RE: Steam - Verify Integrity of Game Files - 12/31/2019 11:31:44 AM   
VPaulus

@Havoc11

You can now post in the forum without restrictions.

(in reply to guanotwozero)
Post #: 4
RE: Steam - Verify Integrity of Game Files - 12/31/2019 11:48:25 AM   
Rory Noonan

No answer just yet, I just want to clarify -- are you able to run the game?

(in reply to VPaulus)
Post #: 5
RE: Steam - Verify Integrity of Game Files - 12/31/2019 12:02:32 PM   
zakblood

i've just tested both of my installs on steam, as 2 accounts tbh, and not had the same happen either time, so something else maybe a miss, unless someone else can confirm?

(in reply to Rory Noonan)
Post #: 6
RE: Steam - Verify Integrity of Game Files - 12/31/2019 2:06:57 PM   
Havoc11

I just run the standard install from steam, I don't install the dev builds from the forum, I wait until the stable build gets pushed out through steam.

I do have all the community scenarios loaded from the community scenario pack that Kushan pulled together but they were installed weeks ago.

The game runs OK but it crashed the other day so thats why I did the verify integrity of game files.

I have the game installed in two places, one on my laptop and also on my desktop. The screenshots from yesterday where from the laptop install.

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 7
RE: Steam - Verify Integrity of Game Files - 12/31/2019 2:13:46 PM   
zakblood

more than likely the crash made the game unstable and some file were deleted when it went down, those in use etc

are you able to run the game now without any issues?

(in reply to Havoc11)
Post #: 8
RE: Steam - Verify Integrity of Game Files - 12/31/2019 2:31:26 PM   
Havoc11

OK, I'm now on my desktop PC.

I'm running Version 1.00.11158 of CMO.

Just spent 15 mins or so verifying game files and then starting CMO and exiting, these are the results.

I've gone to Steam and before I start up CMO, I've verified the integrity of game files, it said 270 files failed to validate and were reacquired.

I then repeat the process and it says "All files successfully validated".

I now start up CMO, load a scenario and play it for 2 mins and then save it. I then close down and exit from CMO.

I now go back to steam and verify the integrity of game files, it now says 226 files failed to validate and were reacquired.

I now repeat the process and it says "All files successfully validated".

I start up CMO again, load another scenario and play it for a few mins, save the game and exit CMO.

I now go back to steam and verify the integrity of game files, it now says 6 files failed to validate and were reacquired.

I start up CMO again, load another scenario and play it for a few mins, save the game and exit CMO.

I now go back to steam and verify the integrity of game files, it now says 50 files failed to validate and were reacquired.

Weird.

(in reply to Havoc11)
Post #: 9
RE: Steam - Verify Integrity of Game Files - 12/31/2019 9:20:13 PM   
guanotwozero

It might be useful to work out what some of the reacquired files are.

Suggest you try:

1) Use a file browser to list the file details in the main game dir, and make a screenshot.
2) Play the game a little.
3) Repeat 1), compare screenshots to see if anything's changed.
4) Verify (and reacquire if needed).
5) Repeat 1), compare screenshots again.

That way you can see what's being changed at what step. Sure they'll be more files than fit in a screenshot, but you just need some indication of what's changing.

If there's no change in the main dir, then it's a case of hunting it down in other dirs, e.g. Scenarios.

Oh, and are you installing and running as an admin?

(in reply to Havoc11)
Post #: 10
RE: Steam - Verify Integrity of Game Files - 1/1/2020 1:29:32 PM   
Zathred

Listing modified files under a Windows file tree is a PITA

I use this Windows Powershell command to find what has changed in the CMO directory. It writes a list of files modified under the directory since a specified date to a file in the current Powershell working directory called "newfiles.log"

Note this command need to be run under the Windows Powershell App UI and takes a minute or two to run

Change the filepath and the file change after dates according to your needs

get-childitem "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Command - Modern Operations" -file -recurse | where-object {$_.lastwritetime -gt [datetime]::parse("27/11/2019 21:30")} | format-table lastwritetime, fullname -wrap -autosize | out-file newfiles.log -append

(in reply to guanotwozero)
Post #: 11
RE: Steam - Verify Integrity of Game Files - 1/3/2020 11:33:34 AM   
Rory Noonan

Logged for investigation.

(in reply to Zathred)
Post #: 12
RE: Steam - Verify Integrity of Game Files - 1/3/2020 8:24:34 PM   
Zanthra

Are there any symptoms other than just the Steam verify files? Is it possible that the SQLite connector to the unit database files is changing the files slightly in a way that does not change the data, such as writing a lock or log?

(in reply to Rory Noonan)
Post #: 13
RE: Steam - Verify Integrity of Game Files - 1/3/2020 10:05:26 PM   
Havoc11

https://imgur.com/ZA1Ozrb

I've just verified again on my laptop after not having played on the laptop for a few days, 379 files failed to validate.

I do wonder if this is somehow related to the steam workshop community scenarios I've downloaded.

The only scenarios I am subscribed to are the "Community Scenario Pack (Official)".

< Message edited by Havoc11 -- 1/3/2020 10:08:45 PM >

(in reply to Zanthra)
Post #: 14
RE: Steam - Verify Integrity of Game Files - 1/4/2020 3:40:05 AM   
Stonedog

I have actually seen this before with Steam. Its a file corruption issue during the download of the game or after a update., in most cases and often occurs seemingly during PEAK STEAM player load. Over the Christmas Holidays being one of the heaviest load times on Steam of course.

Very easily can also be caused by the MODS too as you alluded too, same thing, corrupted upload or download .

I would deletes the game and do a full clean install , preferably at non peak hours on Steam (IF that is possible for you). This is often the best fix, and only permanent one , most times. If you are comfortable with it, check your registry and makes sure any trace of the game is gone form it after the delete . (This is purely optional and not required) .

Hope this clears your issue up, you really want a clean install, no matter if you find a alternate solution or no, as your current one is beyond a doubt corrupted . Steam is well known for download issue, especially peak time for load.

Cheers !

Stone Dog

(in reply to Havoc11)
Post #: 15
RE: Steam - Verify Integrity of Game Files - 1/5/2020 11:09:02 AM   
Havoc11

Thanks Stone Dog, I'll try and complete uninstall and then reinstall

(in reply to Stonedog)
Post #: 16
RE: Steam - Verify Integrity of Game Files - 1/6/2020 10:06:13 AM   
Havoc11

OK, I completely uninstalled CMO and removed all registry items.

I then reinstalled CMO from Steam mid morning UK time.

After installing, I verified the integrity of the game files, it reported "All files successfully validated".

I press PLAY in Steam to play CMO, when loaded I start a new scenario, I choose the North Pacific Shootout scenario and play it for five mins, save and exit. After exiting, I now go back to Steam and verify the integrity of game files, it now says 110 files failed to validate and were reacquired.

CMO seems to run OK, I don't have any issues playing a scenario, just odd that there are a reasonably large number of files that require validation after each play session.

(in reply to Havoc11)
Post #: 17
RE: Steam - Verify Integrity of Game Files - 1/8/2020 9:02:30 PM   
Zanthra

There may be 110 files that have been changed after a play session, but that does not mean that there are 110 files that are broken. Steam has no idea if the files are in proper working order, only that they don’t exactly match, bit for bit, the original files that were uploaded to Steam for distribution.

(in reply to Havoc11)
Post #: 18
RE: Steam - Verify Integrity of Game Files - 1/9/2020 8:51:03 AM   
Stonedog

There is also the issue of you having Mods. I would say a some of what you are now seeing is just the MOD files changing . If its working , dont fix it, but if you must.. try un install on the mods then see if it does this. You should be fine , if the games functioning for now, I would ride with that. MODS can cause several odd types behavior, but none for Command I know of are Malicious.

(in reply to Havoc11)
Post #: 19
RE: Steam - Verify Integrity of Game Files - 3/23/2021 11:13:20 AM   
Geoffropi

I'll be interested to hear if anyone is still experiencing this issue.

As for steam checksum, additional scenario should not create such issue as long as it does not change any original file of the game.
This could be a steam bug, or maybe a virus since the latter can indeed change the checksum of a file.

(in reply to Stonedog)
Post #: 20
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Tech Support >> [Logged] Steam - Verify Integrity of Game Files Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI