Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

How to prevent wingman from speeding ahead to enemy air?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Tech Support >> How to prevent wingman from speeding ahead to enemy air? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
How to prevent wingman from speeding ahead to enemy air? - 3/8/2021 9:07:24 PM   
maverick3320

Perhaps I missed it in the settings, and I'm not exactly what to search for in the manual.

When I send out a pair of interceptors and both are within range to fire their AAWs, how do I prevent one of the pair from speeding far ahead and inevitably dying?
Post #: 1
RE: How to prevent wingman from speeding ahead to enemy... - 3/9/2021 2:56:02 PM   
FMBluecher

I think we're going to need more information to help you, as I'm not sure I understand exactly what the problem you're trying to solve is:

1) I assume they are both part of a group--is this correct?

2) What kind of aircraft are you using, with what loadouts?

3) What are the targets?

4) What is the threat environment? (Put another way, why does the wingman "inevitably die?")

5) Exactly what is the behavior you're seeing? It sounds like the wingman is breaking formation, but by how much?

Attaching a save file is probably the best way to help, as it will answer all of these questions immediately.

(in reply to maverick3320)
Post #: 2
RE: How to prevent wingman from speeding ahead to enemy... - 3/9/2021 4:09:25 PM   
Swant

I think this is a problem also.

The issue is that in a flight of two or more, the only aircraft that will start cranking is the one firing the missile. The rest will continue full speed ahead, and as a result often get themself killed.

The only solution I can think of is to make flights with only one aircraft

(in reply to FMBluecher)
Post #: 3
RE: How to prevent wingman from speeding ahead to enemy... - 3/9/2021 4:50:45 PM   
Dimitris

maverick3320 : So basically, when any of the group is cranking/dragging (due to having fired a BVR missile), you want everyone else in the group to follow the same behavior even though they have not fired a weapon. Am I understanding it correctly ?

< Message edited by Dimitris -- 3/9/2021 4:51:04 PM >

(in reply to Swant)
Post #: 4
RE: How to prevent wingman from speeding ahead to enemy... - 3/9/2021 4:51:51 PM   
Dimitris

It would help if we had an example scenario at hand, so that we are certain we are using a common frame of reference.

(in reply to Dimitris)
Post #: 5
RE: How to prevent wingman from speeding ahead to enemy... - 3/10/2021 12:56:36 AM   
Zanthra

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dimitris

maverick3320 : So basically, when any of the group is cranking/dragging (due to having fired a BVR missile), you want everyone else in the group to follow the same behavior even though they have not fired a weapon. Am I understanding it correctly ?

Generally their WRA will prevent them from employing their own weapon against a single target due to 1shooter per salvo, so they should at least not be flying straight in against it. Following their wingmen is reasonable unless they have another target to engage.

I think in general, whether an aircraft is guiding the missiles or not, they should crank if they don’t have any targets they can fire missiles against due to all weapon allocations being filled, otherwise you defeat the purpose of cranking.

< Message edited by Zanthra -- 3/10/2021 1:10:53 AM >

(in reply to Dimitris)
Post #: 6
RE: How to prevent wingman from speeding ahead to enemy... - 3/10/2021 1:08:29 AM   
thewood1

What's the real world SOP for that? DOes anyone know?

(in reply to Zanthra)
Post #: 7
RE: How to prevent wingman from speeding ahead to enemy... - 3/10/2021 1:57:18 AM   
Zanthra

quote:

It would help if we had an example scenario at hand, so that we are certain we are using a common frame of reference.

Here is a scenario where the lead F/A-18 fires 2 AIM-120s at the target and starts cranking[1], but the wingman continues on afterburner towards the target. Due to WRA limits the wingman cannot fire it's missiles at the target until the first salvo expires.

[1] Usually. Trying it a few times on occasion the wingman fires instead, and when that happens neither aircraft cranks which may be an issue as well.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Zanthra -- 3/10/2021 2:13:53 AM >

(in reply to Dimitris)
Post #: 8
RE: How to prevent wingman from speeding ahead to enemy... - 3/10/2021 4:52:40 AM   
Swant

An option to make each aircraft in a flight fire one missile each against one target would help.

< Message edited by Swant -- 3/10/2021 4:54:11 AM >

(in reply to Zanthra)
Post #: 9
RE: How to prevent wingman from speeding ahead to enemy... - 3/10/2021 6:28:26 PM   
ronmexico111

quote:

ORIGINAL: Swant

An option to make each aircraft in a flight fire one missile each against one target would help.

I'm not exactly sure but can't this be set up in the WRA with Shooters Per Salvo?

"Never get out of the boat" Apocalypse Now

(in reply to Swant)
Post #: 10
RE: How to prevent wingman from speeding ahead to enemy... - 3/10/2021 10:51:13 PM   
maverick3320

quote:

ORIGINAL: FMBluecher

I think we're going to need more information to help you, as I'm not sure I understand exactly what the problem you're trying to solve is:

1) I assume they are both part of a group--is this correct?

2) What kind of aircraft are you using, with what loadouts?

3) What are the targets?

4) What is the threat environment? (Put another way, why does the wingman "inevitably die?")

5) Exactly what is the behavior you're seeing? It sounds like the wingman is breaking formation, but by how much?

Attaching a save file is probably the best way to help, as it will answer all of these questions immediately.

1. Yes, both aircraft are part of a group - I use almost exclusively two-ship formations for CAP missions or just manual intercept purposes to supplement the CAP when needed.

2/3/5. Really any. In my most recent case, I directed a pair of Mig-31 Foxhounds (AA-9 Amos SARH) to intercept a pair of F-4E Phantoms (AIM-7M Sparrow IIIs) over the Sea of Japan in the "Closing the Kurile Gap" Scenario. Immediately upon the "auto engage" order, one aircraft started getting out ahead of the other aircraft (both still heading directly toward the enemy); while the initial volley of AA-9 Amos AAMs was outside the engagement range for the Sparrows, the lead Mig-31 rapidly closed into Sparrow range (1300+knots will get you places quickly!) and entered a cycle where the F-4 fires an AAM, the Mig-31 turns perpendicular to avoid the missile, avoids the missile, but since the Mig-31 is running perpendicular trying to avoid missile after missile, it gets stuck in a loop where it never gains any distance from the Phantoms until a missile finally hits. I can delay this a bit my manually setting the throttle, but both aircraft still continue to head directly toward the enemy, even after firing. I do understand that most missiles are not "fire and forget", but there is no "cranking" whatsoever. The AI Phantoms will crank and drag, however. I also understand I can turn off auto defensive/evasive maneuvers but this is something I think would be beneficial most of the time and tedious to micromanage.

4. Threat environment is over the Sea of Japan, AWACs coverage on both sides, 2vs2 Mig 31s vs F-4E Phantoms, at least in this case. The circumstances don't seem to matter, really.

This happens so frequently (basically always) that I just assumed this was a feature, not a bug.

< Message edited by maverick3320 -- 3/10/2021 10:58:04 PM >

(in reply to FMBluecher)
Post #: 11
RE: How to prevent wingman from speeding ahead to enemy... - 3/10/2021 10:56:08 PM   
maverick3320

quote:

That's correct. To put it simply: how do I get both of my aircraft in a group to fire missiles, maintain the same speed as each other, and both crank and drag?

(in reply to Dimitris)
Post #: 12
RE: How to prevent wingman from speeding ahead to enemy... - 3/11/2021 4:34:18 AM   
Battelman2

100% agree that the current behavior is super annoying. Whenever I have a two-ship group engaging a single bogey BVR where only one shooter is authorized, the non-shooter will frequently fly straight in full-afterburner and often times needlessly end up dead- especially if the first BVR from the shooter misses in which case the same shooter will fire again even though they are 50nm further than the wingman who is now in spitting distance if not dead yet. This makes having wingmen more trouble than they're worth- which should not be the case. This has been the behavior of CMO and CMANO for as long and I can remember and I usually end up setting the group size to 1 in the mission editor to avoid the massive wingman micro. Isn't the point of wingmen to reduce micro by only commanding the flight leader?

IDK what the exact protocols are for wingmen IRL, but I highly doubt it involves flying 50nm off station to give the bogey a kiss while your flight-lead fires from behind you. My expectation would be that the wingman, having no authorization to engage, would remain at their station next to the cranking unit- as visible in the Fleet Formation window (F4).

Post #: 13
RE: How to prevent wingman from speeding ahead to enemy... - 3/11/2021 6:57:24 AM   
Dimitris

quote:

ORIGINAL: maverick3320
quote:

That's correct. To put it simply: how do I get both of my aircraft in a group to fire missiles, maintain the same speed as each other, and both crank and drag?

What happens when only one of the aircraft is able to fire a missile? Does the entire group crank/drag even though only a single aircraft is firing?

Post #: 14
RE: How to prevent wingman from speeding ahead to enemy... - 3/11/2021 7:19:15 AM   
Dimitris

Also: What happens when the lead has AMRAAMs (and thus can shoot immediately) but the wingman has only AIM-9s (and thus must actually close with the enemy more in order to fire) ?

One needs to consider the various cases of this predicament.

< Message edited by Dimitris -- 3/11/2021 7:32:28 AM >

(in reply to Dimitris)
Post #: 15
RE: How to prevent wingman from speeding ahead to enemy... - 3/11/2021 7:47:47 AM   
Swant

quote:

ORIGINAL: ronmexico111

quote:

ORIGINAL: Swant

I'm not exactly sure but can't this be set up in the WRA with Shooters Per Salvo?

Don't think it works. At least I have never been able to make it work

(in reply to ronmexico111)
Post #: 16
RE: How to prevent wingman from speeding ahead to enemy... - 3/11/2021 12:02:06 PM   
SeaQueen

quote:

What's the real world SOP for that? DOes anyone know?

It depends. (I know it's completely unhelpful, but it's true).

< Message edited by SeaQueen -- 3/11/2021 12:03:01 PM >

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 17
RE: How to prevent wingman from speeding ahead to enemy... - 3/11/2021 12:12:26 PM   
SeaQueen

quote:

Just an FYI, one of the things CMO/CMANO gets massively wrong is fighters flying in essentially fingertip formation all the time. Depending on a variety of factors, it's probably wiser to spread them out A LOT more than is commonly done. One of the purposes of spreading the aircraft out is to avoid more than one aircraft being in the bad guy's WEZ at any time. Given the range of today's weapons, comms and sensors, mutual support can be maintained at much more extended distances, so it's not necessary for an element of aircraft to be so close as it's portrayed in CMO/CMANO by default. If you spread them out, you'll find you achieve a more realistic result than what you're describing.

Post #: 18
RE: How to prevent wingman from speeding ahead to enemy... - 3/11/2021 1:52:46 PM   
p1t1o

quote:

ORIGINAL: SeaQueen

quote:

Just an FYI, one of the things CMO/CMANO gets massively wrong is fighters flying in essentially fingertip formation all the time. Depending on a variety of factors, it's probably wiser to spread them out A LOT more than is commonly done. One of the purposes of spreading the aircraft out is to avoid more than one aircraft being in the bad guy's WEZ at any time. Given the range of today's weapons, comms and sensors, mutual support can be maintained at much more extended distances, so it's not necessary for an element of aircraft to be so close as it's portrayed in CMO/CMANO by default. If you spread them out, you'll find you achieve a more realistic result than what you're describing.

Still though, that'd be lateral seperation, I cant think of many scenarios where you would want one aircraft out of a number, to charge ahead into a furball alone. At least none that arent highly specific.

(in reply to SeaQueen)
Post #: 19
RE: How to prevent wingman from speeding ahead to enemy... - 3/11/2021 6:11:21 PM   
Zanthra

quote:

Also: What happens when the lead has AMRAAMs (and thus can shoot immediately) but the wingman has only AIM-9s (and thus must actually close with the enemy more in order to fire) ?

If the doctrine wants aircraft to crank for BVR shots, have the group crank together. A group can’t launch with mixed load outs, so often the weapon state would be RTB due to being out of BVR missiles anyways. If It’s desirable for the group to close for AIM-9 shots, the BVR doctrine for the group can be set to not crank, and thus the lead and wingman would close distance together for AIM-9 shots.

< Message edited by Zanthra -- 3/11/2021 6:13:28 PM >

(in reply to Dimitris)
Post #: 20
RE: How to prevent wingman from speeding ahead to enemy... - 3/11/2021 7:49:19 PM   
KungPao

quote:

quote:

+1
I rarely sent out fighters in group to fight an air battle in CMO.
I have seen a lot of this: couple ARH missiles aimed at the flight leader. The flight leader and the rest of the members evade in a tight formation. The first missile hit the flight leader, then the rest missiles chase the rest of the flight group members took them out of sky one by one.

< Message edited by KungPao -- 3/11/2021 7:50:50 PM >

Sir? Do you want to order a Kung Pao Chicken or a Kung Fu Chicken?

(in reply to SeaQueen)
Post #: 21
RE: How to prevent wingman from speeding ahead to enemy... - 3/11/2021 11:31:34 PM   
boogabooga

I’m going to take a little risk and weigh in on this one…

quote:

This hits the nail on the head as far as I am concerned. If the purpose of cranking is to maintain BVR, then that is pointless if part of the flight is charging to WVR anyway.

quote:

What happens when only one of the aircraft is able to fire a missile? Does the entire group crank/drag even though only a single aircraft is firing?

Yes

quote:

Not much to consider, IMHO. Entire flight stays together until BVR engagement is over (on their end at least), then can go WVR together…or bug out together.
If I want WVR ASAP, then I would use straight-in doctrine. If I want to stay BVR, then I use crank doctrine- and an overwhelming amount of the time I want my entire flight to stay BVR for as long as possible. The current setup leads to a situation that I almost never want: a forced WVR engagement with only part of my flight that is separated from the rest- a recipe for a defeat in detail. Consider if I am intercepting a much better dogfighter…

quote:

Right, but the key phrase here is “given the range of today's weapons, comms and sensors.” You are thinking about a superpower airforce on a 2020+ battlefield. Plenty of hobbyist Command is in within the scope of Mk1 eyeball and a radio. Historically, that leader-wingman element has been important. So sure, for super modern times model the aircraft as individuals to keep them spread out. When I am dealing with far less lethal assets, I group them together to concentrate firepower and increase cohesion.

(in reply to SeaQueen)
Post #: 22
RE: How to prevent wingman from speeding ahead to enemy... - 3/12/2021 12:52:12 AM   
SeaQueen

It depends on the tactics you're employing.

The other thing I'd recommend is if you're using ARH missiles, switch your doctrine setting to "Launch, crank and drag." Your missile might have a lower Pk, but the launch platform will be more survivable, in part because it avoids a furball and maintains distance better.

quote:

ORIGINAL: p1t1o

Still though, that'd be lateral seperation, I cant think of many scenarios where you would want one aircraft out of a number, to charge ahead into a furball alone. At least none that arent highly specific.

(in reply to p1t1o)
Post #: 23
RE: How to prevent wingman from speeding ahead to enemy... - 3/12/2021 1:38:07 AM   
thewood1

This is one of the reasons abstracting a little more might have been best for an operational level game

(in reply to SeaQueen)
Post #: 24
RE: How to prevent wingman from speeding ahead to enemy... - 3/12/2021 1:38:42 AM   
SeaQueen

quote:

Right, but the key phrase here is “given the range of today's weapons, comms and sensors.” You are thinking about a superpower airforce on a 2020+ battlefield. Plenty of hobbyist Command is in within the scope of Mk1 eyeball and a radio. Historically, that leader-wingman element has been important. So sure, for super modern times model the aircraft as individuals to keep them spread out. When I am dealing with far less lethal assets, I group them together to concentrate firepower and increase cohesion.

Leader-wingman is still important. It's just that the distances are more spread out. Even in historical scenarios, you're not making the best use of your aircraft by having them piled on top of each other. You still want to spread them out, just not as far.

Flying fingertip is stressful. Your whole world is the plane you're following. Wingmen can't really maintain effective mutual support that way. A more loose, spread out formation (even just a mile or two) allows aircraft to maintain mutual support while at the same time making them less vulnerable because at any given moment fewer aircraft in the formation are likely to be detected and in an enemy's WEZ. That applies whether you're talking about the guns-only battles of MiG Alley or the heaters/guns/Sparrow fights over Hanoi. The trick is figuring out what the right formation is given the threat, the mission and your own capabilities. That's a tactical decision, which is what CMO/CMANO is all about. Leaving the default is both unrealistic and unwise. It's also neglecting a potentially important tool in your toolbox as the person planning the air battle.

(in reply to boogabooga)
Post #: 25
RE: How to prevent wingman from speeding ahead to enemy... - 3/12/2021 1:59:57 AM   
SeaQueen

quote:

This is one of the reasons abstracting a little more might have been best for an operational level game

CMO/CMANO isn't a purely operational level game. It's more tactical. The things that are important in CMO/CMANO aren't important at the purely operational level.

That being said, it's important to realize that tactical, operational and strategic exist on a continuum. Certainly CMO/CMANO is MORE operational than a flight simulator for example. Indeed, it'd be possible to phrase a CMO/CMANO game plan in terms of something very similar to operational level products produced in the AOC, for the JFACC's approval. Specifically, in CMO/CMANO a good game plan probably looks very much like a notional Master Air Attack Plan (MAAP) approval briefing. The MAAP would be a precursor product to what becomes the ATO, SPINS, ACP, and all the rest of the operational level documents which get used by the more tactical level planners in the Mission Planning Cell (MPC).

That being said, it requires more attention to detail than the MAAP. One of the things that confuses people about CMO/CMANO is that the player doesn't correspond to a single person in the chain of command. They represent a whole committee of people. The decisions you're making might be made at the operational level by the JFACC, or it might be made by some member of his staff, or it might be made by an ABM, or a member of the MPC, the MSN CC, or the any of a number of people all the way down to the pilot, depending on what you're doing. That's one of the weird things about the game, that I think confuses people.

This whole post reflects purely American doctrine and probably something of our allies. The other side of the fence probably has a whole different way of thinking about things.

< Message edited by SeaQueen -- 3/12/2021 2:13:37 AM >

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 26
RE: How to prevent wingman from speeding ahead to enemy... - 3/12/2021 3:19:48 AM   
thewood1

My point stands. There are certain things you have the computing power to represent. This is a whole exercise in what-about-ism. For every attempt to "fix" an issue, there is always a "what about this" that's brought up.

As I've said in the past, digging deeper into every game situation just brings up another layer of detail that's needed. The game is getting to the point of not being consumable unless years are invested to learn it.

(in reply to SeaQueen)
Post #: 27
RE: How to prevent wingman from speeding ahead to enemy... - 3/12/2021 4:07:30 AM   
SeaQueen

I think the game has fallen short of the original vision of allowing missions to run "hands-off," for long periods of time if that's what you're thinking. I'm actually okay with that, because it occupies a different unique niche. That being said, a skilled player can still use missions as a tool for handling hundreds of aircraft. I use missions extensively in my game play, although sometimes not the way I think they were originally intended. I can run a complex strike package of 70-100 aircraft easy. I think of it as simulating a mission, not the whole war, or even a substantial fraction of it. It's a 12-24 hour vignette, maybe a few days tops, in some cases, but generally speaking narrower scope is better than more broad.

I think to operate on a purely operational level, you're right, a lot of things would need to be heavily abstracted or handled automatically. In a DCA mission, for example, you'd only care about the CAP being filled, not so much about whether or not their shot doctrine is right, or whether it's a head or a stern shot. That'd be assumed away or abstracted. The important question is whether you can supply enough missiles, gas and engines to the squadrons filling that CAP so that they don't have to laydown and the CAP can be filled 24/7. There would be little or no manual weapons firing. The game would be about scheduling, timing and logistics. The smallest ground unit would be something like a brigade or a regiment, not a platoon or a section. Kill chains would be heavily abstracted. Weaponeering would be automatic. You'd frequently be less interested in the individual loadouts of aircraft and whether the loadouts they had were able to do the job.

It'd be a completely different game, really. It'd be more about defeating a nation over the course of months, and less about defeating a task force or striking a target set. You'd be worried about operational and strategic centers of gravity. The problem with these kinds of games is that they tend to be dominated by logistics and geography. Technological questions tend to get washed out. Technology drives tactics, not operational art. Most gizmos won't be the difference between winning and losing the war, but they are often the difference between winning and losing the battle.

I think sometimes people who try to use CMO/CMANO on this kind of high operational level, instead of high tactical, end up making the mistake that the operational level of warfare is just lots and lots of tactical, when in fact it's a whole different set of problems, ones which CMO/CMANO really isn't well suited for modeling or understanding.

I don't think the game is not consumable, but it is a niche. The best players are often people with a lot of real life experience in the subject matter they're interested in. You need to have a pretty robust understanding of radar, for example, in order to plan things like electronic warfare adequately. It's the kind of game best played calculator in hand. When people start with the game, I always advise them to start small, and learn about a small family of platforms they're interested in before broadening out. It's not a game you can just pick up and not study.

< Message edited by SeaQueen -- 3/13/2021 3:10:11 PM >

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 28
RE: How to prevent wingman from speeding ahead to enemy... - 3/12/2021 4:29:43 AM   
SeaQueen

quote:

ORIGINAL: KungPao
+1
I rarely sent out fighters in group to fight an air battle in CMO.
I have seen a lot of this: couple ARH missiles aimed at the flight leader. The flight leader and the rest of the members evade in a tight formation. The first missile hit the flight leader, then the rest missiles chase the rest of the flight group members took them out of sky one by one.

I'll use groups for aircraft, but I'm a big fan of using the formation editor with them. Otherwise it'd be a pain to try to do things like fly a 4 ship wall of Eagles, for example. With the formation editor they will try to stay more or less in position. Over time I've gotten more creative with how I group aircraft (or not) and set up formations and mission start times to achieve my desired effect.

(in reply to KungPao)
Post #: 29
RE: How to prevent wingman from speeding ahead to enemy... - 3/13/2021 1:02:05 PM   
SeaQueen

quote:

IDK what the exact protocols are for wingmen IRL, but I highly doubt it involves flying 50nm off station to give the bogey a kiss while your flight-lead fires from behind you. My expectation would be that the wingman, having no authorization to engage, would remain at their station next to the cranking unit- as visible in the Fleet Formation window (F4).

It depends. There isn't one answer. In real life, the actual tactics employed are dictated in part by the enemy's weapons and their capabilities. From there on out it just becomes math and physics. Most likely the wingman WOULD NOT remain next to the cranking unit. That just puts two aircraft in the enemy's WEZ potentially, and makes it very difficult to maintain mutual support because it doesn't make the best use of the sensors on two aircraft (including their eyes). They'd most likely be spread out more, in a "Wall of Eagles" formation, for example, but it could be others as well. There isn't one solution.

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/35765/confessions-of-an-f-15-eagle-driver-with-three-mig-kills

The whole point of the "cranking and dragging" is to remain outside the enemy's F-Pole distance. Do you happen to know what the enemy's F-pole distances are given a few scenarios (e.g. high aspect, stern)? That might give you a clue about how to keep aircraft out of danger. Movies portray the distances between aircraft as WAY too close. It looks good on film, but it's not how things work in real life. Don't take movies as inspiration for your tactics. CMO will punish you for that.

Also, part of the problem is that CMO overstates the kinematic capabilities of missiles; they go too fast, for too long. While many missiles top out at Mach 4, they don't stay that fast for very long. Their rockets burn out in just a few seconds and they glide the rest of the way with all the aerodynamic limitations that implies. Some missiles are range limited by self destruction, but not all of them. Others just start to tumble aerodynamically, lose control of themselves, stall, fall out of the sky and crash. It depends on the missile.

< Message edited by SeaQueen -- 3/13/2021 3:05:44 PM >

(in reply to Battelman2)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Tech Support >> How to prevent wingman from speeding ahead to enemy air? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI