Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

War in the East 2 Full Manual Previews

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2 >> War in the East 2 Full Manual Previews Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
War in the East 2 Full Manual Previews - 3/2/2021 7:43:04 PM   
Erik Rutins

Hi everyone,

We're going to release preview sections of the full manual between now and the release date (March 25th). I'll link each of them below in this post.

Please note that these are excerpted from the layout for the printer and are not the E-Book or home printer-friendly versions that will be in the final release, but provide an example of what the printed hardbound full color manual will look like.

First Preview, Chapters 2-4 (Setting up the Game, Scenarios, Basic Gameplay) - 96 pages

Preview of Chapters 2-4 (Download)

Second Preview, Chapters 5-6 (Sequence of Play, User Interface) - 34 pages

Preview of Chapters 5-6 (Download)

Third Preview, Chapters 7-11 (Map and Terrain, The Weather System, Administrative Points, Fog of War and Detection Levels, Special First Turn Rules) - 22 pages

Preview of Chapters 7-11 (Download)

Fourth Preview, Chapters 12-15 (National and Unit Morale, Theater Boxes and the Event System, Minor Allies, Leaders) - 22 pages

Preview of Chapters 12-15 (Download)

Fifth Preview, Chapters 16-19 (Air Units and Command Structure, Automatic and Manual Management of the Air War, Conducting Air Missions, Air Combat) - 49 pages

Preview of Chapters 16-19 (Download)

Sixth Preview, Chapters 20-24 (Fortifications, Ground Units, Ground Unit Land Movement, Ground Combat, Naval and Amphibious Operations) - 73 pages

Preview of Chapters 20-24 (Download)

Seventh Preview, Chapters 25-29 (Logistics, Replacements, Reinforcements and Withdrawals, Production, Victory Conditions) - 45 pages

Preview of Chapters 25-29 (Download)

Eighth Preview, Chapters 30-31 (Appendix A Player's Notes, Appendix B Developer's Notes - 20 pages

Preview of Chapters 30-31(Download)

Eighth Preview, Chapters 35-37 (Appendix F Commander's Report, Appendix G Information and Administration, Appendix H Interface Windows - 91 pages

Preview of Chapters 35-37(Download)

< Message edited by Erik Rutins -- 3/23/2021 4:33:51 PM >

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Post #: 1
RE: War in the East 2 Full Manual Previews - 3/2/2021 8:01:04 PM   
Erik Rutins

Link should be fixed now, please try again.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 2
RE: War in the East 2 Full Manual Previews - 3/2/2021 8:15:31 PM   
modrow

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

Link should be fixed now, please try again.

Works for me - many thanks for making this available.

Hartwig

Post #: 3
RE: War in the East 2 Full Manual Previews - 3/2/2021 10:19:16 PM   
RFalvo69

Thanks Erik. I noticed a strange choice in the scenario list: there is the full 41-45 campaign but no classic "Barbarossa 41-early 42" (for those looking for a quicker, classic experience)? The rest is fine

"Yes darling, I served in the Navy for eight years. I was a cook..."
"Oh dad... so you were a God-damned cook?"

(My 10 years old daughter after watching "The Hunt for Red October")

(in reply to modrow)
Post #: 4
RE: War in the East 2 Full Manual Previews - 3/2/2021 11:24:36 PM   
Joel Billings

Just plan on either reaching the auto win (or auto loss) victory levels by Jan 42 and you will have the short game.

All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard

(in reply to RFalvo69)
Post #: 5
RE: War in the East 2 Full Manual Previews - 3/3/2021 11:23:30 AM   
RFalvo69

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joel Billings

Just plan on either reaching the auto win (or auto loss) victory levels by Jan 42 and you will have the short game.

Boy, decades of strategic/operational ETO games (both tabletop and computer) and this is the first time I think about that

"Yes darling, I served in the Navy for eight years. I was a cook..."
"Oh dad... so you were a God-damned cook?"

(My 10 years old daughter after watching "The Hunt for Red October")

(in reply to Joel Billings)
Post #: 6
RE: War in the East 2 Full Manual Previews - 3/3/2021 11:39:55 AM   
Hanny

Manual shows named SS unit as Toten, which is death/dead in German and to me looks odd, same number of digets would give it 3rdSS, etc.

To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

(in reply to RFalvo69)
Post #: 7
RE: War in the East 2 Full Manual Previews - 3/3/2021 3:19:48 PM   
paulsan21075

Erik,
Thanks for posting this. I've a lot of reading to finish before March 25th.

Post #: 8
RE: War in the East 2 Full Manual Previews - 3/3/2021 3:42:02 PM   
loki100

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hanny

Manual shows named SS unit as Toten, which is death/dead in German and to me looks odd, same number of digets would give it 3rdSS, etc.

why?

I presume you are reffering to the image in section 4.7.7? If so that shows the formation as its 1941 mot division format, so why give it a mid-war title? And yes, of course there are abbreviations on the counters, esp for that display

(in reply to Hanny)
Post #: 9
RE: War in the East 2 Full Manual Previews - 3/3/2021 4:11:33 PM   
Hanny

quote:

ORIGINAL: loki100

quote:

why?

I presume you are reffering to the image in section 4.7.7? If so that shows the formation as its 1941 mot division format, so why give it a mid-war title? And yes, of course there are abbreviations on the counters, esp for that display

Because of the reason I gave, it’s the 3SS Div formed, it starts as a Mot Div, becomes a Kamfgrupp Eicke in the mid war of 42, before becoming a Pzr Gren Div, and finally a Pzr Div, the common terms for all is 3SS, or Totenkopf, one of which fits on a unit counter.
Death is not an abbreviation of deaths head, so it looks odd.

< Message edited by Hanny -- 3/3/2021 4:20:46 PM >

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 10
RE: War in the East 2 Full Manual Previews - 3/3/2021 4:54:11 PM   
battlefield91

quote:

quote:

quote:

why?

Because of the reason I gave, it’s the 3SS Div formed, it starts as a Mot Div, becomes a Kamfgrupp Eicke in the mid war of 42, before becoming a Pzr Gren Div, and finally a Pzr Div, the common terms for all is 3SS, or Totenkopf, one of which fits on a unit counter.

It was renamed 3.SS in `43. Before it was called "SS-Division Totenkopf"

(in reply to Hanny)
Post #: 11
RE: War in the East 2 Full Manual Previews - 3/3/2021 5:12:03 PM   
SigUp

quote:

quote:

quote:

why?

As battlefield91 already said, the SS divisions did not get their numerical designations until 1943. German situation maps abbreviated the SS divisions as SS "A.H." / SS "T." / SS "R." / SS "W.".

(in reply to Hanny)
Post #: 12
RE: War in the East 2 Full Manual Previews - 3/3/2021 5:14:09 PM   
Rommel76

Thank you very much Erik for the effort. I think the work you have done is excellent!

(in reply to battlefield91)
Post #: 13
RE: War in the East 2 Full Manual Previews - 3/3/2021 7:15:38 PM   
Hanny

quote:

ORIGINAL: battlefield91

quote:

quote:

quote:

why?

This contradicts nothing and adds nothing.

It was renamed 3.SS in `43. Before it was called "SS-Division Totenkopf"

(in reply to battlefield91)
Post #: 14
RE: War in the East 2 Full Manual Previews - 3/3/2021 7:17:17 PM   
Hanny

quote:

ORIGINAL: SigUp

quote:

quote:

quote:

why?

As battlefield91 already said, the SS divisions did not get their numerical designations until 1943. German situation maps abbreviated the SS divisions as SS "A.H." / SS "T." / SS "R." / SS "W.".

Another way that works for me.

(in reply to SigUp)
Post #: 15
RE: War in the East 2 Full Manual Previews - 3/3/2021 8:14:31 PM   
Kursk1943

Nitpicking starting even before the manual is published...

(in reply to Hanny)
Post #: 16
RE: War in the East 2 Full Manual Previews - 3/3/2021 10:42:12 PM   
Narisomo

Perfectionism, and being accurate. I like it.

Another view of why "Toten" is not an ideal abbreviation:
Totenkopf is a composition of the words Toter (dead) und Kopf (head), or to be more exact: It is the composition of the stem of Toter (Tot) and the epenthesis en and Kopf. The result is Totenkopf. Note that en is an infix, an addition of a sound and not a word on its own or a part of Tot. Its function is to connect two words, but Toten doesn't have a second word. So to me, it looks odd and doesn't even look like an abbreviation, it's just truncated, ending with the en infix.

Toten (or with a noun marker "die Toten") is also the plural of "der Tote" and means dead people. This is probably what Hanny is thinking about. I don't, the grammatical case doesn't fit in that case. Maybe this makes it odd too. ;)

Using "Tot" is bad too because it looks like a misspelling of Tod (death) and not like an abbreviation of Totenkopf. TKopf is the best I can think of. Or SS TK or SS T would be fine for me, but I lack the historical background and don't know if it is historically accurate.

(in reply to Kursk1943)
Post #: 17
RE: War in the East 2 Full Manual Previews - 3/3/2021 11:16:23 PM   
Sammy5IsAlive

I'm sure everyone wants the game to be as historically accurate as possible.

What I've seen done elsewhere is a separate pinned thread for 'data issues' so that debates like this, which are worth getting right but which are pretty inconsequential in terms of the core gameplay, are separated off into one place in the hope that it a) helps the developers deal with them more systematically and b) avoids threads being dragged off on a tangent as we've seen above.

(in reply to Narisomo)
Post #: 18
RE: War in the East 2 Full Manual Previews - 3/4/2021 3:55:52 AM   
pbrowne

I'm sure the manual will be great. My major concern is how quickly it will get out of date, which in itself is obviously not a bad thing as the game gets updated...

Just out of interest, having visited the OKW Bendlerblock where he was shot in the courtyard, I note Colonel Claus von Stauffenberg (Op Valkyrie) in the photo with Hitler on P.5 of the manual.

< Message edited by pbrowne -- 3/4/2021 7:10:23 AM >

(in reply to Sammy5IsAlive)
Post #: 19
RE: War in the East 2 Full Manual Previews - 3/4/2021 8:15:10 AM   
Hanny

U
quote:

ORIGINAL: Narisomo

Perfectionism, and being accurate. I like it.

Another view of why "Toten" is not an ideal abbreviation:
Totenkopf is a composition of the words Toter (dead) und Kopf (head), or to be more exact: It is the composition of the stem of Toter (Tot) and the epenthesis en and Kopf. The result is Totenkopf. Note that en is an infix, an addition of a sound and not a word on its own or a part of Tot. Its function is to connect two words, but Toten doesn't have a second word. So to me, it looks odd and doesn't even look like an abbreviation, it's just truncated, ending with the en infix.

Toten (or with a noun marker "die Toten") is also the plural of "der Tote" and means dead people. This is probably what Hanny is thinking about. I don't, the grammatical case doesn't fit in that case. Maybe this makes it odd too. ;)

Using "Tot" is bad too because it looks like a misspelling of Tod (death) and not like an abbreviation of Totenkopf. TKopf is the best I can think of. Or SS TK or SS T would be fine for me, but I lack the historical background and don't know if it is historically accurate.

Agree.

unit info in game has notational name changes, so that’s not an issue, unit counters now have three modes, a vast improvement, but it appears to have a single name convention for the player convieiance, whatever name it’s given has to be a compromise for technical reason as you don’t want on the fly to full unit counters with names changes. what you want, and what the game gives you is functionality, as a player you want to know the CV value in different postures, and which unit it is, clearly numerals convey that info easily for the user. It may be the unit counters change name over time, we will have to wait and see.

< Message edited by Hanny -- 3/4/2021 8:16:20 AM >

(in reply to Narisomo)
Post #: 20
RE: War in the East 2 Full Manual Previews - 3/4/2021 10:46:58 AM   
squatter

Just want to say that whoever's responsible for the 1-page guides in this manual has done a fantastic job.

I write for a living, and I don't think I've ever seen such a good job of concise communication in a game manual before.

Top notch work.

(in reply to Hanny)
Post #: 21
RE: War in the East 2 Full Manual Previews - 3/4/2021 11:20:29 AM   
loki100

quote:

ORIGINAL: squatter

Just want to say that whoever's responsible for the 1-page guides in this manual has done a fantastic job.

I write for a living, and I don't think I've ever seen such a good job of concise communication in a game manual before.

Top notch work.

all credit for the one page guides goes to Red Lancer.

I agree, they are masterpieces of their form

(in reply to squatter)
Post #: 22
RE: War in the East 2 Full Manual Previews - 3/4/2021 1:46:55 PM   
Hanny

quote:

ORIGINAL: squatter

Top notch work.

Agreed, coming soon to my games den as laminated aids......

(in reply to squatter)
Post #: 23
RE: War in the East 2 Full Manual Previews - 3/4/2021 1:54:41 PM   
Erik Rutins

I've added a new preview of Chapters 5-6 above, covering the Sequence of Play and the User Interface.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Hanny)
Post #: 24
RE: War in the East 2 Full Manual Previews - 3/4/2021 2:53:32 PM   
Barrold713

The first link to the Chapter 2-4 is not working currently.

Thanks
BDH

Post #: 25
RE: War in the East 2 Full Manual Previews - 3/4/2021 3:05:29 PM   
Erik Rutins

Sorry, was testing a mirrored link, fixed again now.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Barrold713)
Post #: 26
RE: War in the East 2 Full Manual Previews - 3/4/2021 6:54:06 PM   
ranknfile

With the two manual sections and today's video, WitE2 is looking to be my next gaming addiction! I especially like the button that shows the dates when cities were actually captured; that will help me to see how I fare compared to history. Many hours of enjoyment ahead for me with this. Really well done update of the original game!

Post #: 27
RE: War in the East 2 Full Manual Previews - 3/5/2021 6:33:00 PM   
MAS

I'm almost done reading the first 2 links to the manual. Please post more!

Post #: 28
RE: War in the East 2 Full Manual Previews - 3/5/2021 7:08:00 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: MAS
I'm almost done reading the first 2 links to the manual. Please post more!

Chapters 7-11 added to the first post. Have a good weekend. :-)

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to MAS)
Post #: 29
RE: War in the East 2 Full Manual Previews - 3/5/2021 8:01:59 PM   
MAS

Thankyou Erik, you too!

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2 >> War in the East 2 Full Manual Previews Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI