Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Leaders - comment

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Leaders - comment Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Leaders - comment - 7/4/2009 2:59:19 PM   
Cavalry Corp

I see leaders are a feature of the game - good good excellent!

I hope we are also talking about command and control of Corps etc ...

For certain there is a lot known about leaders abilities especially at higher levels

The Russians are good at the grand picture XXXX up for sure but the rest were largely a mob ( valiant and long suffering though the individual soldier was ) even with the T34 JS1 AND 2 they could never really excel in tactical situations that involved movement.

But at XXX and XX / III level the Gerrmans excel to the end of the war . Tactical mobile ops bought the victories 41/42 ( and some minor ops later ) and seige and attrition battles bought defeat ( Stalingrad / Kursk) . Thats a key reason they did as well as they did - not just Panthers and Tigers ( though they help ) as so many say.

One issue is politics the game will have to portray some events to remove leaders and appoint leaders for political reasons ... even good Soviet leaders were shot in 41/42 for almost anything , as were German ones late war for the same reasons.

Cav.
Post #: 1
RE: Leaders - comment - 7/4/2009 3:55:55 PM   
JJKettunen

quote:

ORIGINAL: cavalry

The Russians are good at the grand picture XXXX up for sure but the rest were largely a mob ( valiant and long suffering though the individual soldier was ) even with the T34 JS1 AND 2 they could never really excel in tactical situations that involved movement.

But at XXX and XX / III level the Gerrmans excel to the end of the war . Tactical mobile ops bought the victories 41/42 ( and some minor ops later ) and seige and attrition battles bought defeat ( Stalingrad / Kursk) . Thats a key reason they did as well as they did - not just Panthers and Tigers ( though they help ) as so many say.

According to the old myths, yes.

Jyri Kettunen

The eternal privilege of those who never act themselves: to interrogate, be dissatisfied, find fault.

- A. Solzhenitsyn

(in reply to Cavalry Corp)
Post #: 2
RE: Leaders - comment - 7/4/2009 5:08:36 PM   
siRkid

Please keep in mind that we are still in Alpha testing and everything is subject to change.

Leaders may be replaced at the cost of admin points. Some leaders cost more than others.

Leaders have a chance of being promoted, fired or executed automatically based on performance and their political rating.

Leaders are rated for, Political, Moral, Initiative, Admin, Mech, Infantry, Air, and Naval (Naval not used in this game).

The game tracks the battles won or lost for each leader.
Political rating impacts the leader's transfers/promotion/dismisses. High political rating is increasing the cost of transfer. The higher political rating is the less chance that this leader will be dismissed due to bad won/lost battles balance. Higher political rating helps to achieve faster promotions.

Armor and infantry rating assigned to an Army HQ helps in the outcome of combat of the divisions under their command, if the die rolls are succesful the CV of the divison/s are increased. If the rolls from a Corp's leader are negative then the next higher HQ leader comes into play. The higher the HQ is the more difficult is to get the leader rolls positive. There are also penalties when a HQ exceeds it's command limit.

Leaders go down to the Corps level.

< Message edited by Kid -- 7/4/2009 5:09:58 PM >

Former War in the Pacific Test Team Manager and Beta Tester for War in the East.

(in reply to JJKettunen)
Post #: 3
RE: Leaders - comment - 7/5/2009 10:17:52 AM   
Cavalry Corp

I could have almost written this myself - great !

Cav

(in reply to siRkid)
Post #: 4
RE: Leaders - comment - 7/5/2009 5:08:58 PM   
Pford

Speaking of leaders, will the game include the impact of Hitler's and Stalin's strategic and sometimes tactical overruling of their generals? Some events on the Eastern Front were inexplicable if one abstracts out their meddling.

Post #: 5
RE: Leaders - comment - 7/5/2009 5:32:44 PM   
PyleDriver

Do you have any suggestions on how to do that?

Jon Pyle
AWD Beta tester
WBTS Alpha tester
WitE Alpha tester
WitW Alpha tester
WitE2 Alpha tester

(in reply to Pford)
Post #: 6
RE: Leaders - comment - 7/5/2009 5:56:16 PM   
Cavalry Corp

Easy like the PP points in WITP some political but bad leaders need a lot ( or too many points to remove ) of points to swap them. Or good but non political leaders may also require a lot to use them at all , random events may again remove low loyalty leaders???

It has been said above leaders have a political rating - it seems it will be addressed.

cav

(in reply to PyleDriver)
Post #: 7
RE: Leaders - comment - 7/5/2009 6:00:06 PM   
Pford

quote:

ORIGINAL: PyleDriver

Only in a coarse kind of way. Inexplicable and suicidal 'Stand and Hold' orders from Hitler, e.g. the Winter of '41? I'm confident Gary will come up with a more elegant solution.

(in reply to PyleDriver)
Post #: 8
RE: Leaders - comment - 7/5/2009 6:07:31 PM   
PyleDriver

Well those issues are built in already, but can you really build Hitler being a dumb ass into the game?

Jon Pyle
AWD Beta tester
WBTS Alpha tester
WitE Alpha tester
WitW Alpha tester
WitE2 Alpha tester

(in reply to Pford)
Post #: 9
RE: Leaders - comment - 7/6/2009 2:48:31 AM   
EdinHouston

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pford

quote:

ORIGINAL: PyleDriver

Only in a coarse kind of way. Inexplicable and suicidal 'Stand and Hold' orders from Hitler, e.g. the Winter of '41? I'm confident Gary will come up with a more elegant solution.

Hitler made a lot of really bad decisions, but I am not sure that 'Stand and Hold' in winter '41 is one of them. In fact, IMO, thats one of his better decisions.

(in reply to Pford)
Post #: 10
RE: Leaders - comment - 7/6/2009 10:03:51 AM   
JJKettunen

quote:

ORIGINAL: EdinHouston

Hitler made a lot of really bad decisions, but I am not sure that 'Stand and Hold' in winter '41 is one of them. In fact, IMO, thats one of his better decisions.

Indeed, it could easily have been turned into a general rout without the strict defence of traffic hubs.

Jyri Kettunen

The eternal privilege of those who never act themselves: to interrogate, be dissatisfied, find fault.

- A. Solzhenitsyn

(in reply to EdinHouston)
Post #: 11
RE: Leaders - comment - 7/6/2009 1:08:33 PM   
stewartbragg

Are we not replacing Hitler when we play the German Side?

HOI3 & AACW2 Beta Tester

(in reply to JJKettunen)
Post #: 12
RE: Leaders - comment - 7/6/2009 1:17:03 PM   
elmo3

From my reading the stalled Soviet counter offensive in '41 was caused more by their forces being spread too thin and winter hampering their air ops rather than Hitlers hold order. However Hitler incorrectly concluded all he had to say was "hold at all costs" and it would be successful. He found out just how wrong that was at Stalingrad.

(in reply to stewartbragg)
Post #: 13
RE: Leaders - comment - 7/6/2009 4:02:40 PM   
JJKettunen

quote:

ORIGINAL: elmo3

From my reading the stalled Soviet counter offensive in '41 was caused more by their forces being spread too thin and winter hampering their air ops rather than Hitlers hold order.

When the Germans managed to hold the traffic hubs, the Soviets tried to outflank them through the forests and marshes, which caused huge supply problems for them. That is why the hold order was so (relatively) successful during the first winter. Also seriously reduced German mobility due to harsh winter (or to be more exact, German unpreparedness for it) made more elastic defence an impractical option.

This is from what I have read, ofcourse.

Jyri Kettunen

- A. Solzhenitsyn

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 14
RE: Leaders - comment - 7/6/2009 4:38:33 PM   
PyleDriver

That burtal winter is so well built in. There are some effect bonus to help the Germans in towns and cities (so they can better hold those hubs). Also if you elect not to do a fall offense and dig in (fort bonus), huge plus...

Jon Pyle
AWD Beta tester
WBTS Alpha tester
WitE Alpha tester
WitW Alpha tester
WitE2 Alpha tester

(in reply to JJKettunen)
Post #: 15
RE: Leaders - comment - 7/7/2009 8:40:08 AM   
Alfred

I certainly hope that there will also be alternative leaders available to change the at start leaders for the minor Axis units.  It should be possible to change non performing minor Axis leaders just as it will be to change Soviet or German leaders.

Alfred

(in reply to PyleDriver)
Post #: 16
RE: Leaders - comment - 7/7/2009 9:03:46 AM   
Cavalry Corp

Good comment , I do not know much about them but in general they would seem to be poorly motivated except perhaps for th Rumanian, Finns and maybe the volunteer Spanish.

Then there are the Croats and Cossacks to consider ??

Cav

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 17
RE: Leaders - comment - 7/7/2009 12:00:02 PM   
siRkid

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alfred

I certainly hope that there will also be alternative leaders available to change the at start leaders for the minor Axis units.  It should be possible to change non performing minor Axis leaders just as it will be to change Soviet or German leaders.

Alfred

Yes there are alternative minor Axis leaders.

Former War in the Pacific Test Team Manager and Beta Tester for War in the East.

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 18
RE: Leaders - comment - 7/7/2009 5:49:45 PM   
TPM

I have not read too many books on this (Alan Clark's book and John Keegan's "Second World War" among them) but the ones I have read generally agree that Hitler's stand fast order in the winter of '41 was one of his "good" decisions. I think he said something to his generals like "Do you think it won't be as cold further back? And how will you fight without your heavy equipment?". I apologize if I'm totally wrong on the quotes, but it was something along those lines!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Keke

quote:

From my reading the stalled Soviet counter offensive in '41 was caused more by their forces being spread too thin and winter hampering their air ops rather than Hitlers hold order.

When the Germans managed to hold the traffic hubs, the Soviets tried to outflank them through the forests and marshes, which caused huge supply problems for them. That is why the hold order was so (relatively) successful during the first winter. Also seriously reduced German mobility due to harsh winter (or to be more exact, German unpreparedness for it) made more elastic defence an impractical option.

(in reply to JJKettunen)
Post #: 19
RE: Leaders - comment - 7/7/2009 10:58:57 PM   
Charles2222

quote:

ORIGINAL: TPM

I have not read too many books on this (Alan Clark's book and John Keegan's "Second World War" among them) but the ones I have read generally agree that Hitler's stand fast order in the winter of '41 was one of his "good" decisions. I think he said something to his generals like "Do you think it won't be as cold further back? And how will you fight without your heavy equipment?". I apologize if I'm totally wrong on the quotes, but it was something along those lines!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Keke

quote:

You're right about that being one of his good decisions. I also heard that there were several experienced commanders that claimed they had seen Hitler in the field calling for one last ounce of effort. His being into the occult, makes me wonder if he had some demonic help with his tasks at times.

(in reply to TPM)
Post #: 20
RE: Leaders - comment - 7/7/2009 11:06:14 PM   
Pford

quote:

I also heard that there were several experienced commanders that claimed they had seen Hitler in the field calling for one last ounce of effort. His being into the occult, makes me wonder if he had some demonic help with his tasks at times.

Good point! Gary may be encoding that variable as we type. Probably as an optional rule.

(in reply to Charles2222)
Post #: 21
RE: Leaders - comment - 7/8/2009 12:32:52 PM   
Josans

quote:

ORIGINAL: cavalry

Good comment , I do not know much about them but in general they would seem to be poorly motivated except perhaps for th Rumanian, Finns and maybe the volunteer Spanish.

Maybe "the volunteers" spanish from Blue Division? Take a look on his story. The 250th Infantry division always was there to the last man. But not all were volunteers as many people thinks.Yes or yes. Just The War of Spain ended and WWII begun. Many will go to fight the soviets just knowing doing that his family will survive Franco repression after war

< Message edited by Josan -- 7/8/2009 12:39:10 PM >

SSG Korsun Pocket Decisive Battles Beta Tester
GG´s War in the East Alpha Tester

Post #: 22
RE: Leaders - comment - 7/8/2009 1:19:43 PM   
paullus99

Hey, it was a good way for Franco to get a lot of the truly "Anti-Communist" diehard elements out of the country while he was solidifying his power base - plus he got to support Hitler without ticking off the Western Allies too much.

Never Underestimate the Power of a Small Tactical Nuclear Weapon...

(in reply to Josans)
Post #: 23
RE: Leaders - comment - 8/1/2009 4:22:58 AM   
Shupov

Does a leader's won/loss record change his ratings (other than political)?

STALINADE

The real RED soda!

Post #: 24
RE: Leaders - comment - 8/1/2009 6:18:04 AM   
PyleDriver

After so many, not real sure how many. Another thing being tweaked...

Jon Pyle
AWD Beta tester
WBTS Alpha tester
WitE Alpha tester
WitW Alpha tester
WitE2 Alpha tester

(in reply to Shupov)
Post #: 25
RE: Leaders - comment - 8/1/2009 2:36:49 PM   
Shupov

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kid

Leaders may be replaced at the cost of admin points. Some leaders cost more than others.

Leaders have a chance of being promoted, fired or executed automatically based on performance and their political rating.

Leaders are rated for, Political, Moral, Initiative, Admin, Mech, Infantry, Air, and Naval (Naval not used in this game).

The game tracks the battles won or lost for each leader.
Political rating impacts the leader's transfers/promotion/dismisses. High political rating is increasing the cost of transfer. The higher political rating is the less chance that this leader will be dismissed due to bad won/lost battles balance. Higher political rating helps to achieve faster promotions.

I agree completely with the political points concept, given that the player's role is military, not political. On the Soviet side it will allow incompetent commanders to remain in the game or be executed based on Stalin's whim. In 1941 D.G. Pavlov was executed when his Western Front was destroyed west of Minsk. But Stalin's old commander Budenny was rescued from his debacle at Kiev and afterwards given other command positions. David Glantz devotes over 150 pages to the Soviet officer corps in his book "Colossus Reborn" (2005) and assesses every important general.

One related WiR exploit should be fixed in WitE. Leader reassignment should take place at the end of turns not the beginning. It's too easy to start the turn over when Zhukov is relieved of command!

STALINADE

The real RED soda!

(in reply to siRkid)
Post #: 26
RE: Leaders - comment - 8/7/2009 8:11:56 PM   
fairplay

The concept of a politcal rating may have its right in other historical games. On the Eastern Front I think it doesn´t fit. Lower level commanders (divison / corps) in most cases were sacked by their army or army group commanders when they didn´t perform well. Associated costs: nil.
Higher commanders (army / army group / front) on both sides were rated for their military performance as well. As of their importance for the ongoing campaigns the political leadership had a final say who got those positions. Costs for exchanging those guys: nil.

I am not aware that either Stalin or Hitler were afraid of political costs when exchanging commanders. There have been a few cases where generals were removed becase of political reasons. But to construct something like a political rating doesn´t fit.

Leader rating:
IRL leaders performed differently in attack or defense. Dependend on the situation high leaders were chosen for these qualities. Either these topics could be added or the existing ratings for mech and infantry could be reworked into mobile and static.

(in reply to siRkid)
Post #: 27
RE: Leaders - comment - 8/8/2009 4:11:00 AM   
Shupov

In WiR it was too easy to swap leaders anytime and also to use only the best leaders. The administrative points cost will limit leader swapping.

I see the leader rating system as a nice balance between political and military factors.

STALINADE

The real RED soda!

(in reply to fairplay)
Post #: 28
RE: Leaders - comment - 3/28/2021 10:00:43 AM   
Elim

Hello folks.

As per manual:

11.3.1. LEADER RATING CHECK PROCEDURE

Each leader rating check is essentially the computer generating a Random(x) value where if the result is less than the leader rating then the check is passed, but if the result is greater than the rating, the check fails.

1. What is maximum/ minimum value for Random (X)?
2. How PC make it?
3. Which atributtes of leaders are better?

Regards,
Elim

< Message edited by Elim -- 3/28/2021 10:01:31 AM >

(in reply to Shupov)
Post #: 29
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Leaders - comment Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI