Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Axis Auto rail repair confusion

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2 >> Axis Auto rail repair confusion Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Axis Auto rail repair confusion - 5/27/2021 7:37:57 PM   
DeletedUser44

The manual says the following:

"Damaged rail line hexes can be repaired either automatically by special on-map construction type support units or manually by the player through the use of rail repair headquarters units."

"22.6.1. Automatic Rail Line Repair Repairs will be made during the logistics phase as headquarters units automatically detach appropriate construction units and send them to damaged rail line hexes (21.6.1). These units will tend not to repair rail hexes adjacent to a rail repair HQ."

However, in practice it appears that only the Axis "R.A.D. Labor" units actually conduct auto rail repair.

So out of the 120 (or so) Axis construction units, you are only allowing 6 (or so) to do auto rail repair? Really?

In WiTE, the full use of *all* available construction units was critical for cross-line rail construction.

1. Why did you not explicitly spell out which construction unit sub-types perform auto rail repair in the manual?
2. Why did you not list this in the WiTE vs WiTE2 differences F.A.Q?
3. Why was auto rail repair limited to just Axis "R.A.D. Labor" units for the Axis in WiTE2?
4. In WiTE2, you have created an even greater reliance on having a fully developed rail-net to include cross-line links. (ok) With the expansion of the map, you have extended the distance supply lines must cross and created more rail line hexes that need to be converted and repaired. (ok)

But at same time, it appears you have significantly nerfed (from potentially 20, 40 or more rail hexes to just 6...) the actual number of rail hexes the Axis player is able to auto-repair per turn.

This is a HUGE difference.

Is this balanced?

< Message edited by Sauron_II -- 5/27/2021 7:48:33 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Axis Auto rail repair confusion - 5/27/2021 7:50:40 PM   
carlkay58

Welcome to 1941 state of the art German logistics planning.

If you want to see what is possible check out either of my AARs - the first one finished with almost all of the front line area rails repaired and working - you had to go back to within about 20 hexes or so of the pre-war border to have large areas of unrepaired rail while I was about ready to launch the 42 Offensive.

As an answer to your questions I believe the answer for 2 & 3 were Designer Decisions and the answer for 1 is best answered by Loki.

(in reply to DeletedUser44)
Post #: 2
RE: Axis Auto rail repair confusion - 5/27/2021 7:55:22 PM   
loki100

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sauron_II

1. Why did you not explicitly spell out which construction unit sub-types perform auto rail repair in the manual?

section 21.6.1:

quote:

Rail repair can only be carried out by Soviet Railroad repair units, and Axis units with the designation R.A.D., O.T, or have the title ‘rail construction’

yes its balanced, also in the main WiTE2 is less dependent on rail repair as such and more on (a) the interaction rail repair and depots and (b) the interaction between rail repair and level 2 (or more) railyards

Post #: 3
RE: Axis Auto rail repair confusion - 5/28/2021 7:58:27 PM   
lwarmonger

You can repair way more than 6 rail hexes per turn. You've got your 4 FBD units which you control that can go around repairing between 3 and 6 hexes each per turn (this really should be emphasized in the manual.... it is not, and not knowing it is gamebreaking). Then you've got all the little autonomous construction brigades, which will usually repair 6 (or more.... right now it seems like I've got 8 or 9 of those little guys running around) per turn. So between all of these assets, and assuming you aren't moving your FBD's long distances or using them to boost depots, you can get between 18 to 30 railway hexes fixed per turn, and you control 12-18 of those. That is enough to get the main lines along your axis of advance.... and to help build out the cross lines during periods of limited movement.

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 4
RE: Axis Auto rail repair confusion - 5/29/2021 9:57:02 PM   
DeletedUser44

quote:

ORIGINAL: loki100

quote:

section 21.6.1:

quote:

Rail repair can only be carried out by Soviet Railroad repair units, and Axis units with the designation R.A.D., O.T, or have the title ‘rail construction’

yes its balanced, also in the main WiTE2 is less dependent on rail repair as such and more on (a) the interaction rail repair and depots and (b) the interaction between rail repair and level 2 (or more) railyards

I see it now.

"Hey guys, it would be really cool when we release WiTE2 to have the manual contain multiple sections, separated by 20 or more pages, each pertaining to the same game mechanic, yet described differently.

That will make the game so much easier to understand."

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 5
RE: Axis Auto rail repair confusion - 5/29/2021 10:45:48 PM   
loki100

quote:

I see it now.

"Hey guys, it would be really cool when we release WiTE2 to have the manual contain multiple sections, separated by 20 or more pages, each pertaining to the same game mechanic, yet described differently.

That will make the game so much easier to understand."

or alternatively - we have a lot of rules to cover, we have a strict space limit (that is still the largest manual Matrix have ever produced), so sometimes we need to make choices as to where to cover something (& where both/all options are pretty much valid)

Post #: 6
RE: Axis Auto rail repair confusion - 5/30/2021 2:38:37 AM   
Bamilus

Honestly nothing is worse than a rulebook that repeats itself. So, I'm glad you didn't go that route. It only adds confusion and doubles the size of the text. Cheat sheets/play-aids eliminate this issue, as well (and there are good play-aids that come with this game).

Paradox Interactive Forum Refugee

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2 >> Axis Auto rail repair confusion Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI