Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Having Issues with running WitP : Anyone can HELP me please ?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Tech Support >> Having Issues with running WitP : Anyone can HELP me please ? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Having Issues with running WitP : Anyone can HELP me pl... - 4/8/2021 7:45:31 PM   
pavel01

I originally Posted about this issue in the General WitP but I was adviced to post here in the Tech Forum.

This is the original Thread about my issue https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4997047

Does anyone know if there is a way to eighter be able to run WitP in Windowed Mode with a Window of the right size, that would not cut out the edges on my screen (as it is happening now) OR, if there is a way that I can avoid the Graphical glitches that I experience when running in Full Screen mode when I need to exit the game momentarily to browse the Manual, these Forums or in general to check about informations on War in the Pacific : Admiral's Edition ?

When running Full Screen, I tried exiting WitP momentarily both using ALT + TAV and a also via the Windows key + D but, unfortunately, when I get back into the game I get all sorts of Graphical glitches which make the game unplayable.

Anyone can please help me to find a solution so that I can finally get to play WitP ?

Thanks !!
Post #: 1
RE: Having Issues with running WitP : Anyone can HELP m... - 4/9/2021 5:17:37 AM   
Yaab

pavel01, how much RAM do you have? I used to run WITP:AE on a low-end laptop (2 GB RAM) and, with time, it was impossible to run at the same time WITP:AE full screen and Firefox browser with WITP:AE forum for reference. Each new iteration of Firefox seemed to hog even more RAM memory. Thus, I would run WITP:AE full screen, minimise it, start Firefox, browse the forum for answers, copy text to Word document, close Firefox and go back to game. I couldn not also run WiTP:AE and Tracker at the same time. I had to finish my turn in WITP AE, exit the game, and start Tracker.

Either run fullscreen the way described above or upgrade to a new laptop.

You can also experiment with browsers which use less memory than Firefox. For a short time I used Avant Browser, but I do remember there were some problems with it.

https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4136080&mpage=1&key=memory%2Cbrowser�

< Message edited by Yaab -- 4/9/2021 5:45:07 AM >

(in reply to pavel01)
Post #: 2
RE: Having Issues with running WitP : Anyone can HELP m... - 4/9/2021 7:07:50 AM   
Chris21wen

What do you mean 'window of the right size' Whatever works is the right size. I have the same problem with full screen so I play in a window. See the latest discusion in main forum.

(in reply to Yaab)
Post #: 3
RE: Having Issues with running WitP : Anyone can HELP m... - 4/9/2021 7:34:27 AM   
pavel01

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yaab

pavel01, how much RAM do you have? I used to run WITP:AE on a low-end laptop (2 GB RAM) and, with time, it was impossible to run at the same time WITP:AE full screen and Firefox browser with WITP:AE forum for reference. Each new iteration of Firefox seemed to hog even more RAM memory. Thus, I would run WITP:AE full screen, minimise it, start Firefox, browse the forum for answers, copy text to Word document, close Firefox and go back to game. I couldn not also run WiTP:AE and Tracker at the same time. I had to finish my turn in WITP AE, exit the game, and start Tracker.

Either run fullscreen the way described above or upgrade to a new laptop.

You can also experiment with browsers which use less memory than Firefox. For a short time I used Avant Browser, but I do remember there were some problems with it.

https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4136080&mpage=1&key=memory%2Cbrowser�

I am running a 15.6" screen Laptop with 12.0 GB RAM and with a NVidia Geforce GT 820M Video Card with 2048 MB DDR3 dedicated Video Memory.

Other then those glitches which I get if I exit WitP "Full Screen" Mode when I get back in, I usually do not have problems running multiple Browsers Windows and also other Programs together with WitP....

My only issue are those Glitches and they only happen with WitP, not with other Programs...

(in reply to Yaab)
Post #: 4
RE: Having Issues with running WitP : Anyone can HELP m... - 4/9/2021 7:55:14 AM   
pavel01

My Video Card, when I access the Resolution section, has a "slider" that only can select the following Resolutions :

1366 x 768 indicated there as the "recommended" one
1360 x 768
1280 x 768
1280 x 720
1024 x 768

Now, I tried all of these Resolutions and the only 2 that "seem" to better cover the Display space, are the 1366 x 768 and the 1360 x 768.

Unfortunately, the game Window under these 2 Resolutions does not fit "exactly" within my Display but is a little bit "too large"....... that is, I cannot see informations which are around the "edges" of the Game... in particular, aside from informations not visible to the right and the left, the most annoying thing is missing the "INDUSTRY" line at the very bottom of the Game Window....

So, when I say "window of the right size" I mean, in Windowed Mode, a WitP game window which would "fit" completely within my Screen so that I do not miss informations displayed around the edges....

I have tried to "force" Resolutions other then those 5 indicated here above but, unfortunately, none of them works....

For example, since 1366 x 768 and 1360 x 768 "almost" work, only produce a WitP game WIndow a bit too large, I tried to force, using the -pxf and -pyf commands Resolutions a "little bit" smaller like, for example, 1350 x 750 OR 1345 x 745 and also other combinations but they simply do not work.... as if I could only use those 5 "stepped" Resolutions, not others....

Yet, if I run WitP FULL SCREEN, I get to see the entire Game Window with no information missing...

BUT, if I want to go this way, I need to then solve the Graphical Glitches issues which I get, when I need to exit War in the Pacific : Admiral's Edition with either ALT + TAB OR with WIndow Key + D so as to be able to browse the Manual, check these Matrix Forums or find other informations and instructions about playing WitP....

These Graphical Glitches occur when I get "back into" WitP after exiting it with ALT + TAB or Window Key + D and they only happen with WitP, I do not experience them with other programs which I might be running...

If I cannot run WitP in Windowed Mode because I cannot find a way to force a Resolution which would "fit" in my Screen without hiding Game informations around the edges, then, I would like to try to run WitP in Full Screen whereas I can see everything on the game Map, included the edges.

But then, as I said, I need to fix this Graphical Glitches which occur when I exit WitP using ALT + TAB or Window Key + D and then get back into WitP....

The thing is, I have NO IDEA why I am getting these Graphical Glitches... I do not get them with any other Program but WitP.

Anyone has any idea of how I could get rid of these Graphical Glitches ?

Thanks for the kind help.

(in reply to Chris21wen)
Post #: 5
RE: Having Issues with running WitP : Anyone can HELP m... - 4/9/2021 4:37:40 PM   
rustysi

quote:

Also could you please kindly explain what these Switches which you added to you executable file do ?

They're in a WitPAE folders named 'What's New'.

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

(in reply to pavel01)
Post #: 6
RE: Having Issues with running WitP : Anyone can HELP m... - 4/9/2021 5:23:36 PM   
Dutch_slith

Recommended resolution on my laptop is 1920 x 1980

This worked for me:

-cpu4 -multiaudio -dd_sw -w -pxf1280 -pfy1024 -deepColor -archive

< Message edited by Dutch_slith -- 4/9/2021 5:24:30 PM >

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 7
RE: Having Issues with running WitP : Anyone can HELP m... - 4/9/2021 6:10:35 PM   
pavel01

I have an update on my situation.

I contacted Slitherine Tech Support asking if they could help me out with a solution, and they suggested me to use Full Screen but with these Switches:

C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe" -f -pxf1366 -pyf768 -dd_sw -deepColor -altFont

And guess what?

I can now play the game Full Screen on this Laptop AND, when I exit it momentarily to check the Manual or Browse these Forums with Window key + D, when I get back into the game I no longer suffer those Graphic Glitches !!

So, it looks like that I can finally enjoy playing War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition !!

I am posting this here so that if anyone else might be suffering my same problem, they might try what has worked for me.

Thank you all for their kind help !!

(in reply to Dutch_slith)
Post #: 8
RE: Having Issues with running WitP : Anyone can HELP m... - 4/10/2021 12:45:08 PM   
HansBolter

I run those same switches on a super low end small screen laptop with only 2gbs of ram and while the game runs more slowly than on my 8 core 32gb desktop it does run fine.

Glad you finally got things sorted out.

Hans

(in reply to pavel01)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Tech Support >> Having Issues with running WitP : Anyone can HELP me please ? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI