Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Maximum distance from depots as Axis 1941

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2 >> The War Room >> Maximum distance from depots as Axis 1941 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Maximum distance from depots as Axis 1941 - 5/13/2021 2:31:08 PM   
Jango32

I'm running a game against the AI on normal settings and on turn 2 I had an opportunity to seize Smolensk with 7th Panzer.

With Army Group South I can advance very close to Kiev, less than 10 hexes away, with 3 Panzer divisions.

The question is, how much is too far from the depots? I have fixed the rail line to my closest depot (Vilnius) this turn in the center, and Lvov in the south so freight will get there only in the starting turn 3 logistics phase.

Are these distances going to cause heavy damage to my trucks that will bite me in the future, or am I right at the edge of acceptable?
Post #: 1
RE: Maximum distance from depots as Axis 1941 - 5/13/2021 6:05:59 PM   
carlkay58

I honestly don't think the Axis can push too hard in 41. If you don't push hard the AI will shut you down fairly early. So I would say go for them both if you can.

(in reply to Jango32)
Post #: 2
RE: Maximum distance from depots as Axis 1941 - 5/13/2021 6:10:51 PM   
Jango32

Still, I feel like on turn 3, with Vitebsk and Smolensk taken during turn 2, I shouldn't advance until the railway from Minsk is repaired in order to minimise the wear and tear of my trucks - possibly pull back the Panzer groups closer to the Minsk depot. Or is it safe to just keep on pushing regardless of where the closest connected depot is, at least early in 1941?

< Message edited by Jango32 -- 5/13/2021 6:25:44 PM >

(in reply to carlkay58)
Post #: 3
RE: Maximum distance from depots as Axis 1941 - 5/13/2021 7:51:52 PM   
loki100

fundamentally, if you play to be secure in your supply lines you'll lose, equally if you utterly ignore your supply lines ... you'll lose.

that dilemna sits at the heart of axis play in 1941.

the other thing to bear in mind, where your rail head is, is of relatively little importance, its where are your functioning depots - or in other words the trade off is worse than your analysis suggests

have a poke at some of the AARs, carlkay's is excellent as you can pick up his files and study what he is describing. But in the end its a risky set of trade offs. Too slow and the Red Army will form up and swamp you, too fast and your units will be burnt out shells.

(in reply to Jango32)
Post #: 4
RE: Maximum distance from depots as Axis 1941 - 5/13/2021 8:09:47 PM   
Jango32

Oh, I've been reading the various AARs on the forums and the many topics in the war room. But I don't think I've seen a post yet trying to figure out the 'maximum' distance between your main functioning depot and your forces to keep truck breakdowns and losses sustainable. Although I guess it's dynamic enough that you can't come up with a general rule.

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 5
RE: Maximum distance from depots as Axis 1941 - 5/13/2021 9:21:12 PM   
loki100

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jango32

Oh, I've been reading the various AARs on the forums and the many topics in the war room. But I don't think I've seen a post yet trying to figure out the 'maximum' distance between your main functioning depot and your forces to keep truck breakdowns and losses sustainable. Although I guess it's dynamic enough that you can't come up with a general rule.

yep - bear that key concept in mind, there are no answers just better or worse partial solutions. Even those who claim to have some idea how to work the logistics system actually have very different solutions and that is before they layer combat operational tempo on top of it.

(in reply to Jango32)
Post #: 6
RE: Maximum distance from depots as Axis 1941 - 5/14/2021 8:35:21 AM   
TheFerret

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jango32

If I understand the system correctly, trucks are all eventually sourced from a single pool (which is what you see on the turn summary panel). That means that what is sustainable in one area of the front will depend on what's happening in other areas of the front. If other areas are relatively quiet and have units mostly deployed within 3 hexes of depots for truck-free supply distribution, then a sustainable operations tempo will be higher than if you are fighting and advancing in all areas of the front.

To your specific question, I think the Axis starts with enough headroom in its truck pool (plus captured Soviet trucks) that global truck losses won't be your limiting factor in 1941. Trucks transport freight from depots to units, and ultimately you can't transport more freight than exists in the depots; since you're slowly building out your depot network as you advance in 1941, the limiting factor is going to be local depot freight capacity (so railyard construction/repairs, basically), and to a lesser extent available rolling stock from level 2+ railyards.

(in reply to Jango32)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2 >> The War Room >> Maximum distance from depots as Axis 1941 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI