Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Simulation run

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Simulation run Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Simulation run - 5/14/2021 8:50:17 AM   
Bipman

Hi all

In a large scenario, is it possible to focus on one area and run that without having to issue orders to all areas? i.e. will the other areas look after themselves (at least from an AI viewpoint).

Bipman
Post #: 1
RE: Simulation run - 5/14/2021 9:45:21 AM   
alphali

If you mean similar to an RTS game where the "AI" will attack and defend ...etc. Then no such thing. By default there are no well-defined behaviors for the AI, this is sim and a sandbox and you can see with the diversity of the different scenarios that it's impossible to have a general AI that will just work in any situation.

You need to setup missions (with proper Doctrine and WRA settings) and assign units to those missions, even then if you don't really know what you are doing it will be messy and you won't be able to fully ignore them.

(in reply to Bipman)
Post #: 2
RE: Simulation run - 5/14/2021 11:09:26 AM   
Gunner98

There are a couple of tools to help.

Missions and suitable WRA as alphali mention, but you can also set up no-nav zones, timed limited missions and you always have the Quickjump from one place to the next.

Also the pause button is your friend. This is not an RTS, think of it in the context that you have a staff of dozens you are replacing so it's OK to pause the action, plan and set things up properly.

If you are specifically looking to work on one thing (e.g. amphibious Ops) and you want to examine that in detail without bothering with the ASW or A2A war going on around you - there is probably a specific scenario covering that aspect. Or build one.

B

Check out our novel, Northern Fury: H-Hour!: http://northernfury.us/
And our blog: http://northernfury.us/blog/post2/
Twitter: @NorthernFury94 or Facebook https://www.facebook.com/northernfury/

(in reply to alphali)
Post #: 3
RE: Simulation run - 5/14/2021 11:50:55 AM   
KnightHawk75

quote:

Also the pause button is your friend. This is not an RTS, think of it in the context that you have a staff of dozens you are replacing so it's OK to pause the action, plan and set things up properly.

That just needed to be repeated, hell I can spend 1/2 real day just setting up and planning at the start of a beefy scene before ever pressing play for the first time, let alone readjusting as new information comes in or action hits all fronts at the same time. Never be afraid to just pause, if "too much" is going on for you to manage in real time, as it then gives you the time to manage multiple areas\fronts.

(in reply to Gunner98)
Post #: 4
RE: Simulation run - 5/14/2021 12:03:52 PM   
thewood1

This is also dependent on how the scenario designer set up the scenario. I have built a few where I want some activity on flanks or adjacent to my forces. I build it using mostly missions and events, with a little lua thrown in. There are also scenarios built to be played by either side. I play those sometimes and only manage small parts of the overall forces with the default set up running the rest of the forces. An small example of that is The Hunters in Shifting Sands DLC. I set it up to only really play with one group. The other group and the air missions pretty much run on their own.

But as already mentioned, using missions and events, you can take some time up front and set up part of your forces to be somewhat autonomous while you focus on the core forces. I do that in almost every scenario I play. To me, its the entire point of CMO and all the tools it provides.

< Message edited by thewood1 -- 5/14/2021 12:04:12 PM >

You are like puss filled boil on nice of ass of bikini model. You are nasty to everybody but then try to sweeten things up with a nice post somewhere else. That's nice but you're still a boil on a beautiful thing! - BDukes

(in reply to KnightHawk75)
Post #: 5
RE: Simulation run - 5/15/2021 10:33:27 AM   
Bipman

That's great everyone, thanks!

Bipman

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Simulation run Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI