Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Gal Civ IV announced

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Gal Civ IV announced Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Gal Civ IV announced - 5/15/2021 1:08:59 AM   
balto

There is no date for completion, but this is going to be a heck of a great time for Space 4X!! Especially, the Exterminate part.
Post #: 1
RE: Gal Civ IV announced - 5/15/2021 1:15:28 AM   
Galaxy227

ah yes, gal civ iv announcement on a dw2 thread. matrix forums approved

(in reply to balto)
Post #: 2
RE: Gal Civ IV announced - 5/15/2021 7:56:21 AM   
SirHoraceHarkness

Eh, I bought the gal civ 2 goty edition a couple of years back and it was ok but it never really grabbed me like dwu. Gal civ 3 looked to be more of the same and so on with gal civ 4. Best of luck to them but this probably isn't the best place to post this.

(in reply to Galaxy227)
Post #: 3
RE: Gal Civ IV announced - 5/15/2021 11:23:18 AM   
Webbco

Needs to go in general discussion, but thanks for the heads up.

(in reply to SirHoraceHarkness)
Post #: 4
RE: Gal Civ IV announced - 5/15/2021 7:22:16 PM   
LarryP

I bought the entire series hoping it would get good and they never did. I hate the last one the most. Much better 4x games out there.

However, everybody likes different things in games. It just seems like Stardock left most things lacking. I tried and tried to get into each version, only to get frustrated thinking each feature was not finished enough. I can't really explain it. Go away now Larry...

< Message edited by LarryP -- 5/15/2021 8:08:52 PM >

(in reply to Webbco)
Post #: 5
RE: Gal Civ IV announced - 5/15/2021 7:27:50 PM   
Greybriar

Stardock's announcement about Galactic Civilization IV.

This war is not about slavery. --Robert E. Lee

(in reply to balto)
Post #: 6
RE: Gal Civ IV announced - 5/15/2021 9:50:27 PM   
Freyr Oakenshield

Won't be buying 4.
3 is the last incarnation of the franchise I bought...

Post #: 7
RE: Gal Civ IV announced - 5/15/2021 10:37:29 PM   
gamer78

I think it will be much better game this time. They are experienced team in 4X genre. They have already good game engine for modern PC'S.

Gal Civ3 was not bad but ship combat was not satisfying after all the work designing special ship. Planet management was good but they had to re-design most the mechanics later years.

I think they want the game to be a bit similar to Endless Sapce and Stellaris with a story telling.

https://explorminate.co/brad-wardell-on-the-galactic-civilizations-series/
"Not a Converted Board Game. Tell a Story Instead.

Here’s a thought exercise: GalCiv II was designed to tell stories. GalCiv III is a board game made into a computer game.

4X games need to quit trying to be board games. Or at least, board games should not be the only defining factor. Do you want to make a 4X game that plays like a board game? That’s fine. But I don’t want GalCiv IV to feel like a board game."

(in reply to Freyr Oakenshield)
Post #: 8
RE: Gal Civ IV announced - 5/15/2021 11:01:11 PM   
RangerJoe

I tried GalCiv II. I did not like it. I did not try any more.

There is a site that has things that a person can to with Masters of Orion 2, including making it a multiplayer game.

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to gamer78)
Post #: 9
RE: Gal Civ IV announced - 5/15/2021 11:07:22 PM   
Freyr Oakenshield

quote:

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe

I tried GalCiv II. I did not like it. I did not try any more.

There is a site that has things that a person can to with Masters of Orion 2, including making it a multiplayer game.

Actually, I prefer the earlier versions a lot more. GalCiv 1 is my favourite.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 10
RE: Gal Civ IV announced - 5/16/2021 11:31:52 AM   
ncc1701e

I always found out that this game lacks a soul. GalCiv 1 or 2. I never play number 3 due to that.

Chancellor Gorkon to Captain James T. Kirk:
You don't trust me, do you? I don't blame you. If there is to be a brave new world, our generation is going to have the hardest time living in it.

(in reply to Freyr Oakenshield)
Post #: 11
RE: Gal Civ IV announced - 5/16/2021 7:03:51 PM   
LarryP

quote:

ORIGINAL: ncc1701e

I always found out that this game lacks a soul. GalCiv 1 or 2. I never play number 3 due to that.

Well said. That's just how I felt when I played them all.

(in reply to ncc1701e)
Post #: 12
RE: Gal Civ IV announced - 5/17/2021 10:59:10 AM   
balto

I never played I, but I thought II and III were awesome. But, whatever.

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 13
RE: Gal Civ IV announced - 5/17/2021 3:47:04 PM   
gamer78

I don't know about 'soul' but if that's about Master of Orion clone game there is Stars in Shadow(another DLC planned so still in development) and Interstellar Space: Genesis.

Galciv3 was solid game for me. What is innovative for me recently is AI War 2.

Galciv 3 long distances was a problem they now have subspace streams, as a sector. Looks good.

< Message edited by gamer78 -- 5/17/2021 3:49:53 PM >

(in reply to balto)
Post #: 14
RE: Gal Civ IV announced - 5/20/2021 3:29:52 AM   
Fantasyjunkie

I enjoyed Gal Civ 2 a lot, but Gal Civ 3 not really. I'll have to check and see how #4 works out.

(in reply to balto)
Post #: 15
RE: Gal Civ IV announced - 5/20/2021 8:15:02 AM   
jmlima

... and then, 35 DLCs later, you can play the full game.

(in reply to Fantasyjunkie)
Post #: 16
RE: Gal Civ IV announced - 5/20/2021 9:17:04 AM   
RFalvo69

I discovered GalCiv with the second game and I liked it a lot. Not only the AI was fantastic (one of the best ever, IMHO) but it also respected the "personalities" of the various races.

Then Stardock lost their way with a series of much awaited but ultimately disappointing fantasy games (they were promising a "Master of Magic experience" - MoM remained undefeated). Then GalCiv 3 arrived, but the reviews from the hardcore GalCiv 2 crowd agreed that it was not an improvement over the 2 and that the main selling point - the AI - was actually worse. I skipped it.

This GalCiv 4 does seem intriguing - exp. the scale - but, again, I'll wait for the reviews.

"Yes darling, I served in the Navy for eight years. I was a cook..."
"Oh dad... so you were a God-damned cook?"

(My 10 years old daughter after watching "The Hunt for Red October")

(in reply to jmlima)
Post #: 17
RE: Gal Civ IV announced - 5/20/2021 3:06:28 PM   
Lobster

quote:

ORIGINAL: balto

There is no date for completion, but this is going to be a heck of a great time for Space 4X!! Especially, the Exterminate part.

If the trailer graphics are the same as the in game graphics then yeah, lots of eye candy. However, I think by now most of us realize trailers do not always equal the finished product. Also, eye candy does not equal a good or better game. Am I skeptical? When it comes to people pushing their products, yes.

http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Q: What do you call a boomerang that doesn’t come back?
A: A stick.

(in reply to balto)
Post #: 18
RE: Gal Civ IV announced - 5/26/2021 8:12:45 PM   
LarryP

I thought I would give Gal Civ III another try so I installed it and opted into the new beta update that came out today. Man, I tried and tried to like this game but it is so unfinished, or just lacking the features that would make it decent. Now I hate that game more than before. I'm amazed at how Stardock can be so proud of such junk?! It lacks so many core elements needed, and lots of dialog menus that actually do just about nothing productive. No help other than tooltips.

If this next version is going to be very good, they should model it after a game that's really good, not their first three versions. Ain't gonna happen. I'm not expecting it to be very good. I hope I'm wrong.

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 19
RE: Gal Civ IV announced - 5/26/2021 8:34:22 PM   
gamer78

Hi, what features are unfinished. Tech tree, governments, citizens, diplomacy, planet management, ship design?. I agree governments are not perfect and elections half thought. But AI?

I've purchased all civ 6 expansions and DLC's tried last week and AI was very below what is in Gal Civ 3. Much established game concepts but low AI.
I think they will start GalCIV 4 as alpha. It is big plus for better design.

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 20
RE: Gal Civ IV announced - 5/26/2021 9:03:03 PM   
Pliny

Gal Civ II was great, Gal Civ III was somewhat of a train-wreck. Here's to hoping the next edition is more like II, which was a phenomenal 4x game.

(in reply to gamer78)
Post #: 21
RE: Gal Civ IV announced - 5/26/2021 9:10:19 PM   
LarryP

The best way to describe "unfinished" is that the menus are clumsy, unintuitive, things that should be there just are not, commanding ships is lacking, and I open menus and expect more than what is there. I expect to select a ship and right click somewhere for them to go, with maybe a menu of options for when they get there. No in game help, that's a real no no to me. Paradox has excellent examples of in game help, and the Galactic Civ series sure could use it. How to move ships, explain the items that can be constructed by the Constructor ship, on and on and on... Gal Civ III is pretty, the world moves around very nice, the ship building is very good, but still unintuitive to use. It would also be nice to move the dialogs around, like the stuff on the right, I prefer them on the left, but that's not important. Just nice to have.

A poster above said that it lacked personality. That's exactly how I feel when playing all three games. No personality.

Stellaris and HOI4 are hard games to learn, but there is in game help that solves about any problems. HOI4 even has in game videos. I'd like to see something like this in the next version.

< Message edited by LarryP -- 5/26/2021 9:16:00 PM >

(in reply to gamer78)
Post #: 22
RE: Gal Civ IV announced - 5/27/2021 5:03:26 AM   
Fantasyjunkie

quote:

ORIGINAL: LarryP

Stellaris and HOI4 are hard games to learn, but there is in game help that solves about any problems. HOI4 even has in game videos. I'd like to see something like this in the next version.

I'm actually learning both of those games now, I got both of them on sale recently. I had no clue that HOI4 has in game videos and I own it lol.

That Lobelia Sackville-Baggins is really a piece of work. Who else is obsessed with silver spoons?

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 23
RE: Gal Civ IV announced - 5/27/2021 6:38:46 PM   
LarryP

HOI4 is amazing but packed. I was wrong about Stellaris having in game help. It has really good tooltips, but I got it confused with Crusader Kings 3. That has an in game journal that's amazing. I wish all games that are complex had help like CK3. Even just a little journal would sure be nice in Gal Civ 3, and this next version in the making.

< Message edited by LarryP -- 5/27/2021 7:09:02 PM >

(in reply to Fantasyjunkie)
Post #: 24
RE: Gal Civ IV announced - 5/28/2021 10:11:20 AM   
gamer78

I think before any tutorial even scenarious in DLC&expansions were not compatible and updated with the later Gal Civ 3 patches&changes. For a sandbox game there should be better tutorial than scenarious, most doesn't work well with the changes. Lore can be in game events not only scenarious.

I hesitated to buy HOI 4 game. After Hearts of Iron IV: Battle for the Bosporus- it is pure fantasy- now Baltic States focus diary. https://steamcommunity.com/games/394360/announcements/detail/3039345766669637860

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 25
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Gal Civ IV announced Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote