Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Why am I allowed to take aircraft replacements?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Why am I allowed to take aircraft replacements? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Why am I allowed to take aircraft replacements? - 6/9/2021 6:04:19 PM   
heja482

Dear admirals, I have a question: In the Coral Sea Scenario the air groups I stationed at Port Moresby obviously are allowed to take replacements and in fact they receive replacements - however, I am wondering why that is... Because it appears to me that none of the conditions are met that the manual desribes as prerequisites for taking aircraft replacements. Neither Port Moresby has the necessary 20,000 supplies at that moment nor is the respective air group (P-40s, max range 12, with drop tanks 26, distance to Port Moresby 30) in transfer range to its HQ (SW Pacific in Brisbane). Also, I haven't noticed that a sub-unit was created in Brisbane - but there were not enough aircraft in the pool anyway (manual says 10+(plane build rate/2), there were 4 in my case). Even my Wirraways in Port Moresby will get replacements eventually. Could someone please explain to me why that is (Bonus question: What I also think is odd is that the amount of supplies in Port Moresby acutally grows in the first two or three turns of the scenario without me transporting anything to the base. I have not been able to figure out why that is...). Thanks in advance for your replies!

Attachment (1)
Post #: 1
RE: Why am I allowed to take aircraft replacements? - 6/9/2021 7:36:45 PM   
USSAmerica

Just a guess at the bonus question.... it's possible that the LCU's that start the scenario at PM start with excess supply and it is deposited in the base supply dump.

No idea about the AC replacements.

Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie

(in reply to heja482)
Post #: 2
RE: Why am I allowed to take aircraft replacements? - 6/10/2021 6:24:37 AM   
Chris21wen

Don't small scenarios like this have different rules to full campaigns?

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 3
RE: Why am I allowed to take aircraft replacements? - 6/10/2021 8:14:02 AM   
Ian R

If the airgroup, as you describe, is not on a base that meets replacement conditions, but is within two hops of it's HQ ( I expect II fighter command >> 5th AF>> SWPAC in this instance) then the replacement aircraft might arrive as a fragment group at the base occupied by the HQ, and in the ordinary course of events will transfer to the group, and disband into it (whether you manually do that or not).

This is in the manual in the section on aircraft replacements.

< Message edited by Ian R -- 6/10/2021 8:18:44 AM >

"I am Alfred"

(in reply to Chris21wen)
Post #: 4
RE: Why am I allowed to take aircraft replacements? - 6/10/2021 8:17:45 AM   
Ian R

It's on page 256.

quote:

If none of these conditions apply, land based air units may automatically have a sub unit
created for it at the base containing the HQ that the air unit is assigned to or the Command HQ
of the air unit’s HQ if it is not in the base. The base with the HQ must have supplies that are at
least equal to twice the base’s supply needs plus the supplies that will be expended in creating
the sub unit, the supply base must be within twice the maximum range of the aircraft type, and
there must be planes in the pool equal to:

»» 10 + (plane build rate / 2)

If these conditions are met, a sub unit of damaged planes will be placed at the HQ’s location
and supplies will be expended from the base. Note Japanese build rates are usually 0 when
production is on. Another subgroup will not be formed for the air unit until at least 7 days have
elapsed.

"I am Alfred"

(in reply to Ian R)
Post #: 5
RE: Why am I allowed to take aircraft replacements? - 6/10/2021 11:46:50 AM   
heja482

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ian R

If the airgroup, as you describe, is not on a base that meets replacement conditions, but is within two hops of it's HQ ( I expect II fighter command >> 5th AF>> SWPAC in this instance) then the replacement aircraft might arrive as a fragment group at the base occupied by the HQ, and in the ordinary course of events will transfer to the group, and disband into it (whether you manually do that or not).

This is in the manual in the section on aircraft replacements.

Thank you for your answers! At first, I also thought that it just happens what you are refering to and what is described on p. 256 in the manual: The replacements might probably just appear in Brisbane at the unit's HQ as sub-unit during turn resolution and merge with its parent unit in Port Moresby without me even noticing. That would explain the range issue (assuming the P-40s use their drop tanks to cover the distance). However, as I mentioned, I don't think that the conditions for that to happen are either met: There are no 10+(plane build rate/2) aircraft in the pool at that respective moment, but only 4. What is more, even the Wirraways in Port Moresby get replacements, although their doubled range is 28 and thus less than the distance to Brisbane (30) where their HQ (Australia Command) ist situated.

Probably Chris21wen is right and the reason for all of that is that it is a small scenario with altered rules? Or does anyone have another explanation? Thanks again!

< Message edited by heja482 -- 6/10/2021 12:14:59 PM >

(in reply to Ian R)
Post #: 6
RE: Why am I allowed to take aircraft replacements? - 6/10/2021 6:46:01 PM   
Ian R

There will be an explanation for why you received replacements, and it will be consistent with what is stated in the manual.

Noting you say:

quote:

I haven't noticed that a sub-unit was created in Brisbane

V Bomber command starts in Townsville in that scenario. The two P40 squadrons that start in that scenario are assigned to SWPAC HQ. Supplies probably went up the rail road to Townsville overnight. V Bomber Command is an air HQ in the squadrons' chain of command. It's within one hop so the (10+rep rate/2) doesn't apply. The repl rate for the P40 is 35 so they will accumulate daily so some airframes will be available.

All looks WAD to me.

Edit - how many days in was it? With that repl rate you can get 2 per day aircraft with lucky die rolls.

< Message edited by Ian R -- 6/10/2021 6:48:07 PM >

"I am Alfred"

(in reply to heja482)
Post #: 7
RE: Why am I allowed to take aircraft replacements? - 6/10/2021 8:29:14 PM   
heja482

Ah, I see, that makes sense. I wasn't aware that the P-40s are connected with V Bomber Command through the command chain and that the replacements would go overland first before crossing over to Port Moresby.

I was two or three turns into the scenario when I took the screenshot, so the 4 aircraft I had in the pool would be consistent with the replacement rate. Thank you very much for the explanation!

(in reply to Ian R)
Post #: 8
RE: Why am I allowed to take aircraft replacements? - 6/11/2021 8:42:50 AM   
Ian R

What I mean by "in the squadron's chain of command" is that they both report to SWPAC.

Alfred has explained that the replacement rate is divided by a notional 30 days in the month - so that with a rate of 35 you tend to get 1, plus a 5/30 die roll for a second.

There is another thing to consider which is worth noting. To quote the Elf from long ago -

quote:

As long as the best Air HQ of the same command as the base which is within range can add its command radius to the number of groups that can be administrated, otherwise if not in the same command, the nearest HQ will add ½ its command radius to the number of groups.

Townsville (IATA code: "TSV") starts as a level 3 airfield - but on turn one the airbase screen tells you it only holds 2 of 7 groups. So it is getting a (+4) admin bonus from somewhere. Note TSV is an Australia command base. If you look at Brisbane ("BNE"), a SWPAC base, it is a level 6 airfield. The airbase screen tells you it is spotting 2 of a possible 15 groups. That 15 is the sum of the base itself (6) plus SWPAC HQ wearing its air HQ hat adding its command bonus (9). The Aust Command HQ reports to itself so adds nothing to BNE - different base ownership.

As TSV has had half of (9), rounded down to (4), added to its admin abilities from some HQ (possibly Australia command which is within 2 x command range) it counts as a 7.

The purpose of that long winded discussion is to hypothesise that:

(a) TSV counts as a size 7 base; &

(b) It got some supply railed in; and

- that's a likely reason why it was able to assemble some P40 replacements to send over to POM.

"I am Alfred"

(in reply to heja482)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Why am I allowed to take aircraft replacements? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI