Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Carrier battles in UV

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Carrier battles in UV Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Carrier battles in UV - 8/25/2003 11:54:26 AM   
mogami

Hi, Tell me what you think of carrier battles in UV.
(you can pick more then one)

I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!
Post #: 1
- 8/25/2003 3:00:48 PM   
Fred98

I always lose.

But put 4 carrriers against 4 carriers and the Japanese will always lose.

(in reply to mogami)
Post #: 2
Midway - 8/25/2003 3:57:08 PM   
HMSWarspite

The thing with Midway that never gets mentioned is this: If you run May/June 1942 100 times (in RL using some sort of alternative universes), how often does Midway happen with a 4:1 result? People cite it as if it was inevitable, and hence any game that doesn't have it happening regularly is flawed. Even with the Allied strategic advantage, I think Midway was a 1 in lots (don't know how many, more than 10, less than 1000) event. There are many points where tiny (and entirely plausible) changes can affect things. IJN doesn't rearm for 2nd Midway strike, USN doesn't get strikes split in just the right way for unopposed DB attack, weather, search planes etc etc. I think the 'normal' Midway might be 2:2, or maybe 2:1 (pro US), but could easily be 1:2 (or 3) pro IJN. I thing the system should reflect this, say 80% of all Midways come out in the range 3:1>2:2>1:2, with less than 20% (total) coming out 4:0, 4:1, or 0:3, etc. Thus 80% of battles 'wouldn't do Midway properly, a further say 10% do it wrong (IJN wins), and 10% or less get close to the real thing. I do hope WitP is like this!
The thing about Midway is it accelerated the inevitable loss of IJN carriers, the IJN cannot afford to lose fleet carriers full stop, USN ones only set the timing of the war, not the result.

I have a cunning plan, My Lord

(in reply to mogami)
Post #: 3
- 8/26/2003 12:39:10 PM   
Philwd

I picked never can tell.

I've only had 1 even up carrier battle. In my first PBEM game Scen 17 playing IJN our "Coral Sea" was fought off Efate. Result I lost Zuikaku and USN lost Yorktown with Lex beat up. My air groups were creamed. Pretty historic.

I did manage to sink all the other USN CVs later but that was mostly because I managed to surprise them.

In my second game the USN has managed to beat through my CAP with detached carrier sqns based at GG and plant bombs on Kaga. I returned the favor with a Val strike on Noumea that put a couple CVs out of the war. We have been playing Cat and Mouse recently with neither side willing to go out from under the LBA umbrella into the opponent's.

Quark

(in reply to mogami)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Carrier battles in UV Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI