Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Cards

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> Suggestions and Feedback >> Cards Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Cards - 7/21/2021 1:10:16 PM   
postfux

I have to admit I dislike every game with cards with the notable exeption of Shadow Empire (and some card games).

In Shadow Empire the card systems works extremly well, even for me, concerning everything that is really a government decision.

Where it absolutely doesnt work are fate cards. Recently I did willingly unleash a terrible disease upon my population. It was necessary because otherwise I couldnt have found a certain hex perk (I reduced the zone to size one so that I could find it where I wanted it). I think fate should be what it is - fate not decision.

I would also love a different way of recruiting leaders. If every asset/ battalion would have computer generated leader they could be promoted once they reach a certain seniority. Their professional background, zone assets (school, university, barracks etc.) could make a difference concerning abilities of the generated leaders.
Post #: 1
RE: Cards - 7/21/2021 2:49:51 PM   
zgrssd

Regarding fate cards:
I guess a better name for Fate would be Karma.
By incuring penalties, you gather "good Karma". That you then spend on good events.

Regarding leaders:
There are 5 different recruit leader cards, for a nice amount of variation.
Some text indicates the Regime Civilisation score affects the likelyhood recruits have certain "civilized" skills.

(in reply to postfux)
Post #: 2
RE: Cards - 7/21/2021 4:37:08 PM   
BlueTemplar

Well, it's so abstracted and complex (especially the drawing part) that calling them "cards" is IMHO too much of a stretch.

Why do you think that Fate Stratagems "don't work" ? (Or is it indeed just the name that you dislike ?)

(in reply to zgrssd)
Post #: 3
RE: Cards - 7/21/2021 5:41:15 PM   
postfux

Sorry, I wanted to make clear the mechanic works well, just not for me as far as fate and recruiting are concerned. Perhaps because here it becomes more of outright "playing" a card.

In effect you often have to "play" a negative card" to get to "play" a positive card. In the beginning it works well to wait for a paranoia card to "play" a combo with an unrest card.

I also try to abstract this in the karma way, but getting good karma for manufacturing a breach of your citys protection?

"Autoplaying" these cards would work better for me. Connecting them to events with relation to the developing game would perhaps be the best solution in my opinion (and having separate good and bad events not this reward for punishment SM thing).

Recruiting is less annoying for me but here it is also feels like drawing a card and then letting one more useless (and harmless) leader rot unpaid in a reserve pool because you did draw a bad card.

I think the roleplaying part could need some more depth and cant see this to work well with a card drawing based recruiting. At least for me it breaks immersion.

(in reply to BlueTemplar)
Post #: 4
RE: Cards - 7/21/2021 10:08:53 PM   
zgrssd

quote:

In effect you often have to "play" a negative card" to get to "play" a positive card.

That is quite literally the design behind those cards. The primary source of fate points are negative fate cards. Or "fate builders" as I call them.

quote:

In the beginning it works well to wait for a paranoia card to "play" a combo with an unrest card.

That was for the most parts a exploit. They are not supposed to negate each other.
Which is why fear got it's effect increased in 1.08.03 beta thus the 1.09 release.

quote:

I also try to abstract this in the karma way, but getting good karma for manufacturing a breach of your citys protection?

The game could just throw random events at you with no rhyme or reason.
Instead it gives you agency to select if and when a calamity strikes.

If you do not like fate cards, you can always scrap the good and the bad. They are worth quite some points, as they are gained so rarely.

< Message edited by zgrssd -- 7/21/2021 10:09:05 PM >

(in reply to postfux)
Post #: 5
RE: Cards - 7/22/2021 10:40:31 AM   
BlueTemplar

You do get other decisions similar to effects of negative fate stratagems, and a rare decision is even going to affect your fate points !

quote:

The primary source of fate points are negative fate cards.

Don't discount Regime level increases !
(With the consideration that Disease is IMHO too damaging/risky to be worth it.)

quote:

That was for the most parts a exploit. They are not supposed to negate each other.

They were, and still do, though you do get other penalties.

(in reply to zgrssd)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> Suggestions and Feedback >> Cards Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI