Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Warhammer 40,000 - The Imperium of Man (Work in Progress)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> Warhammer 40,000 - The Imperium of Man (Work in Progress) Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Warhammer 40,000 - The Imperium of Man (Work in Progress) - 8/6/2019 4:43:42 PM   
rjord2021

In the grim darkness of the far future....... there is only war.

The Imperium of Man ..... a despotic human empire that spans most of the galaxy and has existed for over 10,000 years.

Despite The Imperium being mired in a prolonged dark age it's technology is still highly advanced by our present standards, however scientific progress has ceased and its technologies now date back thousands of years.

Imperial society is deeply religious and superstitious, centered on the worship of the God Emperor of Mankind, the Imperium's founder and nominal ruler. Those who do not worship the Emperor, including alien species and human followers of Chaos, are mercilessly persecuted as heretics.

Welcome to Warhammer 40,000 - The Imperium of Man

Continuing the original mod created by mensrea many years ago.
His mod can be found at http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3640729

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 10/27/2019 6:52:03 AM >
Post #: 1
Warhammer 40,000 - The Imperium of Man (Work in Progress) - 8/6/2019 4:56:35 PM   
rjord2021

If you choose not to play as The Imperium of Man, this mod will allow you to play as one of the following:

Chaos
Within the parallel dimension known as the Warp dwell the Chaos Gods, who are monomaniacal and depraved entities formed from the emotions and souls of mortals. The Chaos Gods have the ability to twist the minds of mortals, amplifying certain emotional traits and inspiring reverence, like a supernatural form of brainwashing. Worshippers of Chaos (most of whom depicted in the game are human) tend to be insane, violent, and depraved, and they often exhibit grotesque physical mutations such as extra mouths or limbs replaced with tentacles.

The Eldar
The Eldar are derived from the Elves of Warhammer Fantasy. They are an ancient species of aliens who view humans and other non-Eldar species as vermin. In the distant past, they ruled an empire that dominated the galaxy, but it was destroyed in a magical cataclysm, along with most of the population. The surviving Eldar are divided into the ascetic inhabitants (known simply as "Eldar") of the Craftworlds, massive spacecraft scattered across the galaxy, and the Dark Eldar, or Drukhari, a race of sadistic space pirates who inhabit a massive port city hidden within the Warp.

Tyranids
The Tyranids are a mysterious alien race from beyond the Milky Way. They migrate from planet to planet, devouring all life in their path. Tyranids are linked by a psychic hive mind; individual Tyranids become feral when separated from it. Their "technology" is entirely biological: their ships are living creatures, and their weapons are living components of their bodies.

Tau
The Tau, or T'au, are a race of blue-skinned aliens inhabiting a small but growing empire located on the fringes of the Imperium of Man. The Tau Empire is the only faction in the setting that actively integrates alien species into their society. They seek to subjugate all other races for the benefit of all, under an ideology they call "the Greater Good." Some human worlds have willingly defected from the Imperium to the Tau Empire. Although humans are effectively second-class citizens in Tau society, they still tend to have a better quality of life than Imperium citizens. Despite overall better living conditions, T'au life is typically heavily regimented and citizens experience little or no freedom.

Necrons
The Necrons are an ancient race of skeleton-like robots. Millions of years ago, they were flesh-and-blood beings, but suffered cancerous and short lives due to the natural proximity of their homeworld to their star. In spite of this, they forged a galaxy spanning empire with advanced technology and devastating weaponry. Seeking to extend their naturally short and painful lives, they transferred their minds into robot bodies to achieve immortality. However, the transference process was flawed, and all but most high-ranking Necrons became mindless automatons. They are waking up from millions of years of hibernation in underground vaults, and seek to rebuild their old empire.

Orks
The Orks are green-skinned aliens based on the traditional orcs of high fantasy fiction. Their culture revolves around war for its own sake, periodically erupting into massive crusades against Imperial planets or other species. Orks are a comical species, having crude personalities, wielding ramshackle weaponry, and speaking with Cockney accents.

These factions are the first that will be added to the mod with additional options been added later.

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 2
Warhammer 40,000 - The Imperium of Man (Work in Progress) - 8/6/2019 5:21:38 PM   
rjord2021

Others being looked at for inclusion in the mod..... additional ones may be added after taking another look at the original mod.

Dark Elves
Dark Elves – The relentless and bitter Druchii of Naggaroth still follow Malekith, who was exiled but still claims to be the rightful heir to the throne of the Elven Kingdoms of Ulthuan. The dark elves are sworn enemies of the high elves and try incessantly to invade their former homeland. Dark elves enjoy nothing more than inflicting pain and suffering on others, and they frequently launch raids throughout the Old World in order to capture more slaves to feed their hunger for cruelty. Their priestesses, the Witch elves of Khaine, perform blood rituals to rejuvenate their youth

High Elves
High Elves – The Asur carry on the ancient traditions of the Elven people on the island continent of Ulthuan, as well as the burdens of many millennia of arrogance and warfare. Without them the daemons of chaos would overrun the entire world.

Wood Elves
Wood Elves – The ruthless Asrai abandoned their kin to both protect and restrain the strange sentient forest of Athel Loren in the Old World. Considering Warhammer Fantasy's influcence from Tolkien's Middle Earth universe, if the High Elves are likened to the Vanyar/Noldor races, the Wood Elves are mostly the Teleri (including Sindar) from Lothlórien and Mirkwood. They appear to be neither good nor bad, as likely to kill lost travelers as to aid them. They are mortal enemies to the Beastmen, and wage a mostly unnoticed war against them.

Dwarfs
Dwarfs – An ancient, grim, and determined race were integral in the founding of the Empire, the Dwarfs spend their days avenging grudges and counting gold. Dwarfs are the greatest craftsmen in the Warhammer World and in addition to enjoying fine arms and armor, they implement the best heavy infantry and artillery in the game.

Chaos Dwarfs
Chaos Dwarfs – are an offshoot of the Dwarven race. Originally they were Dwarves, but began to worship the Gods of Chaos and broke off to form a new society. This schism is similar to the one between the High Elves and Dark Elves.

The Fimir
The Fimir are depicted as humanoid, cyclopean creatures with barbed tails and beak-like snouts, with skins that varied from a dark green to a muddy brown colour. They are described as being part Daemon. They inhabit the wetlands of the Warhammer world, typically within crudely constructed fortifications resembling nothing more than a pile of rocks. From these locations, the Fimir raid the homes of humans, taking captives for daemonic sacrifices. The Fimir loathe sunlight, and are followed by wreaths of mist to shield them from it, and their homes are always shrouded by it.

The Lizardmen and the Slann
The Lizardmen have undergone many successive changes through the history of the Warhammer game. Originally they were conceived as the 'native' race of the Warhammer World who were driven underground by the frog-like Slann prior to their vast terraforming (which created the distinctive form of the continents compared to those of Earth). They fought an eons-long guerrilla war against the amphibian aliens whose armies were then made up of Amazons, Pygmies, Lobotomised Slaves and Slann warriors. The appeared in the game only as vassals of the main faction the Slann.

The Gnoblar
the Gnoblar, which is found living with the Ogre Hordes in the Mountains of Mourn. East of the Mountains of Mourn on the borders of Cathay live the Hobgoblins, a race of greenskins somewhere between a Goblin and an Orc, but more cunning than either. Hobgoblins can also be found as slaves or slavers within realm of the Chaos Dwarves. Smallest in size of all the Greenskin races are the Snotlings, They are considered the lowliest of greenskins and are most often bullied around by their larger, greener cousins.

Black Orcs
These mean beasts are "armed to da teef" and are covered in heavy black armour. This is one reason why they are called Black Orcs, the other being their unusually dark green skin compared to their brethren.

Savage Orcs
Rather than use the modern technology of armour, language, and weapons of their cousins, Savage Orcs stayed in their primitive savage form. Using mainly stones as their weapons, the Savage Orcs rush madly into battle, some clinging upon wild boars with only their feet. The Savage Orcs put so much faith in their warpaint that it works for intimidation.

Beastmen
Beastmen are either born bestial to human parents or raised among mutants. Beastmen hate all that is civilized and untouched by the glories of chaos.

Warriors of Chaos
Warriors of Chaos are primarily humans who are favored by the Four Great Gods of chaos. These marauders emerge from the areas below the Northern Warp Gate and also possess one of the strongest cavalries and infantries in the game.

Daemons of Chaos
Servants of the chaos gods. They are made out of pure energy emerging from the northern and southern warp gates. These daemons only come out in times when the Chaos energies in the Warhammer World are strong.

Skaven
Skaven are a Chaotic race of rat-men. They worship a unique Chaos god of their own, the Horned Rat. They live in a world-spanning network of settlements under the world inhabited by other races.

Vampire Counts
Disciples of Nagash who stole his secrets of eternal life, the Vampires and their minions have spread across the Old World, furthering their own aims. There are five playable vampire families, each with different ambitions, habits and powers: Von Carsteins, Necrarchs, Blood Dragons, Lahmians and Strigoi. Their armies consist mainly of classic undead, such as zombies, skeletons, vampires, bats, and ghosts.

Tomb Kings
Living in the hot desert lands of Nehekhara to the south of the Old World a race was once ruled by the necromancer Nagash. After a successful rebellion against his rule, he killed every mortal being in order to raise an unassailable army of the undead to conquer the world. He was stopped by the last king of Khemri. The aftermath of Nagash's great spell awakened several thousand years worth of the buried dead and their Kings as an undead army.

Ogre Kingdoms
Massive Eastern barbarians who will do any work for gold and will eat anything and anyone. They ride large beasts resembling mammoths and sabre-tooth tigers. Since ogres are guided solely by their stomachs, they spread devastation and destruction wherever they go. Ogres are often considered to be a "neutral" army, and can end up fighting for any side, they hire themselves out as mercenaries to feed their lust for food.

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 3
RE: Warhammer 40,000 - The Imperium of Man (Work in Pro... - 8/6/2019 6:48:41 PM   
EliphasTheInheritor

Oh yes, finally, the lovely mod that I awaited. You considered to add the races from the Warhammer Fantasy because you don't have that many races in 40k to fill the gap? Because you can divide the current main races into many parts, like Imperium being -Space Marines, Imperial Guard and Inquisition, Eldar being Craftworld Eldar and Dark Eldar, etc.... Just curious.

< Message edited by EliphasTheInheritor -- 8/6/2019 6:54:40 PM >

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 4
RE: Warhammer 40,000 - The Imperium of Man (Work in Pro... - 8/6/2019 7:19:13 PM   
rjord2021

quote:

ORIGINAL: EliphasTheInheritor

Oh yes, finally, the lovely mod that I awaited. You considered to add the races from the Warhammer Fantasy because you don't have that many races in 40k to fill the gap? Because you can divide the current main races into many parts, like Imperium being -Space Marines, Imperial Guard and Inquisition, Eldar being Craftworld Eldar and Dark Eldar, etc.... Just curious.

The main races will be in the mod..... am looking at others that could be there as well

Example of another list I am working on

Imperium
Space Marines
Blood Angels
Dark Angels
Space Wolves
Grey Knights
Deathwatch
Astra Militarum
Adepta Sororitas
Adeptus Custodes
Sisters of Silence
Adeptus Mechanicus

Xenos
Craftworlds
Harlequins
Drukhari
Ynnari
Tyranids
Genestealer Cults
Orks
Necrons
T'au Empire

Chaos
Chaos Daemons
Chaos Space Marines
Death Guard
Thousand Sons

And then I compare that list to the races seen in the original mod

Ork
Auretian
Diasporex
Interex
Imperial
Quietude
Gykon
Laer
Tarellian
Vrakk
Scythian
Tushepta
Kinebrach
Stryxis
Eldar
Ghassulian
Jorgall
Lacrymole
Kehletai
Hrud
Shakturi
Mechanoid
Megarachnid
Necron
Dark Eldar
Tyranid
Damned

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 8/6/2019 7:34:44 PM >

(in reply to EliphasTheInheritor)
Post #: 5
RE: Warhammer 40,000 - The Imperium of Man (Work in Pro... - 8/6/2019 7:44:30 PM   
EliphasTheInheritor

quote:

ORIGINAL: rjord1

quote:

The main races will be in the mod..... am looking at others that could be there as well

Example of another list I am working on

Imperium
Space Marines
Blood Angels
Dark Angels
Space Wolves
Grey Knights
Deathwatch
Astra Militarum
Adepta Sororitas
Adeptus Custodes
Sisters of Silence
Adeptus Mechanicus

Xenos
Craftworlds
Harlequins
Drukhari
Ynnari
Tyranids
Genestealer Cults
Orks
Necrons
T'au Empire

Chaos
Chaos Daemons
Chaos Space Marines
Death Guard
Thousand Sons

And then I compare that list to the races seen in the original mod

Ork
Auretian
Diasporex
Interex
Imperial
Quietude
Gykon
Laer
Tarellian
Vrakk
Scythian
Tushepta
Kinebrach
Stryxis
Eldar
Ghassulian
Jorgall
Lacrymole
Kehletai
Hrud
Shakturi
Mechanoid
Megarachnid
Necron
Dark Eldar
Tyranid
Damned

Well, for chaos you really do have choices because there are many chapter unique units: Rubric Marines, Plague Marines, Noise Marines, Khorne Berzerkers, Gal Vorbak(or the current possessed marines), etc... I hope you don't think that I try to convince you to design the mod for my own taste, NO NO, I am just coming with suggestions, I hope other players will also come with suggestions because I feel like crap being the only one.

Looking forward for updates.

< Message edited by EliphasTheInheritor -- 8/6/2019 7:48:14 PM >

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 6
Warhammer 40,000 - The Imperium of Man (Work in Progress) - 8/6/2019 8:18:25 PM   
rjord2021

Suggestions are always welcome....... feel free to add a list of who you would like to see i the mod

Post #: 7
RE: Warhammer 40,000 - The Imperium of Man (Work in Pro... - 8/6/2019 9:11:19 PM   
Sparviero

quote:

Suggestions are always welcome....... feel free to add a list of who you would like to see i the mod

This amazing! I really look forward for this mod!

About the factions I think your list is more than enought: better if we have less factions, but well crafted!
The only thing I will change is the Space marines: looks like you'd like to use specific chapters like Blood Angels, Space Wolves, ecc....so I don't see a generic Space Marines faction fit. Maybe you can replace Space Marines with Ultramarines, another of the most famous chapter.

In these months I'm really digging inside Warhammer 40k lore, reading books ecc...If you need any help, let me know! This mod is a dream!

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 8
RE: Warhammer 40,000 - The Imperium of Man (Work in Pro... - 8/6/2019 9:23:01 PM   
EliphasTheInheritor

Imperium

Space Marines (Because most space marines chapters don't have "unique/special/chapter specific" units, and I really don't see how you would design Iron Fists tactics and traits for example vs Blood Angels's traits or Blood Ravens, but I agree with the rest of the Imperium's factions bellow because they are unique in troops and traits and tactics)
Grey Knights
Deathwatch
Astra Militarum
Adepta Sororitas
Adeptus Custodes
Sisters of Silence
Adeptus Mechanicus

Xenos (nothing to change here)

Craftworlds
Harlequins
Drukhari
Ynnari
Tyranids
Genestealer Cults
Orks
Necrons
T'au Empire

Chaos (since they got many unique units I would like to see the following)

Chaos Daemons
Chaos Space Marines (I didn't put the Black Legion since I believe that is a hard one, since Black Legion has Plague Marines, Khorne Berzerkers and many unique units and they are the biggest legion, but I leave this for you to think about)
Death Guard (Plague Marines and Nurgle daemon engines, you got plenty to choose)
Thousand Sons (Rubric Marines and Sorcerers)
Word Bearers (Possessed Chaos Marines)
World Eaters (Khorne Berzerkers and Khorne daemon engines, plenty to choose)
Emperor's Children (Noise Marines and Slaanesh daemon engines, plenty to choose )
Night Lords (They use quite a lot of Chaos Raptors so I guess that would be their unique unit)
Iron Warriors (Obliterators)
Alpha Legion (Not really many unique units but they are a very very stealthy faction and it would be quite interesting to see how you design them, maybe make them have very good spies)

Now, don't think that I favor chaos faction but they are the most diverse regarding troops and traits...for example with the Death Guard you can give them increased hp regen since they are durable, Thousand sons can have bonuses in research since they got many sorcerers, Word Bearers have normal chaos marines but they use lots of daemons and cultists as a cannon fodder and also the possessed, Alpha Legion being very stealthy, I mean, I really don't see that much diversity in loyalists space marines chapters or other races, even tho the Imperium has 8 sub-factions and the Eldar 4 sub-factions.

Also, necrons...you don't have that much diversity(the Sautekh Dynasty is the most powerful one and the most aggressive but it isn't that much different from the Nephrekh Dynasty for example, because they basically have the same basic troops and only different traits that are not that much different). Hope you see where I'm getting at. I got nothing against diversity but I think there is enough diversity with the list I just wrote (Imperium has 8 sub-factions, Eldar got 4 sub-factions, Chaos 10 sub-factions) so I don't know. What do you think? Since you are the creator, you have the right to disagree and shape the mod in your own vision.

< Message edited by EliphasTheInheritor -- 8/6/2019 9:31:51 PM >

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 9
RE: Warhammer 40,000 - The Imperium of Man (Work in Pro... - 10/21/2019 9:36:01 PM   
tofudog

Have I been out of touch!
As for your plans for continuing this worthy mod I have two things to say:

1) Blessed is the mind too small for doubt.
2) Go, Baby go, Baby go go go!

Whatever you put in, make it bright and loud and colorful and I will be a happy little peasant (Edit: Technically this happened 10 thousand years in the past, so nobody really knows what the correct lore actually is (except for the Emprah and he is not talking)).
Also Gretchins.

Also typo report: Hive mind targetting does fleet countermeasures. You need to replace the 9 in the component definition by a 43.

< Message edited by tofudog -- 10/22/2019 4:00:18 PM >

WANT... MORE... MODDABILITY...

Post #: 10
RE: Warhammer 40,000 - The Imperium of Man (Work in Pro... - 10/24/2019 9:03:37 AM   
tofudog

While this thread is relatively quiet, let me post a heretical question:

Should Tyranids be a playable race?
In my current game as the Interex I ended up neighbours with them (everything old and start at T5), after some buildup I did as I always do in DW and sent the marines. When the dust settled the Tyranids (the great devourer, no less) ended up as productive citizens of the 'Shiny, happy Planets'.
This did strike me as rather odd.

So what if Tyranids were an event instead? Modelled on the Silver Mist? Eating ships, colonies, everything that gets in its way and multiplying as it goes along. Very Tyranid behaviour.

There are other races that might warrant a rethink, but with tyranids I think it is the most obvious, both in terms of the question and in terms of a possible answer.

Any thoughts?

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 11
RE: Warhammer 40,000 - The Imperium of Man (Work in Pro... - 10/24/2019 3:12:49 PM   
rjord2021

quote:

ORIGINAL: tofudog

While this thread is relatively quiet, let me post a heretical question:

Should Tyranids be a playable race?
In my current game as the Interex I ended up neighbours with them (everything old and start at T5), after some buildup I did as I always do in DW and sent the marines. When the dust settled the Tyranids (the great devourer, no less) ended up as productive citizens of the 'Shiny, happy Planets'.
This did strike me as rather odd.

So what if Tyranids were an event instead? Modelled on the Silver Mist? Eating ships, colonies, everything that gets in its way and multiplying as it goes along. Very Tyranid behaviour.

There are other races that might warrant a rethink, but with tyranids I think it is the most obvious, both in terms of the question and in terms of a possible answer.

Any thoughts?

The Tyranids are actually being worked on at the moment and they definitely need to be changed......

They are the ultimate predators; to them, all living things, from the lowliest insect to the most advanced starfaring civilisation, are mere prey.

I notice that the original modder has the bias of the Tyranids set at -50 against other races and other races have a -50 bias against them...... which is correct.

However the Tyranids are of the race family Insectoid and I think the bias settings here need to be looked at as you have bias settings of -20, -50, 5, -10, -50, -50 when looking at other race families.

Tyranids are like the Xenos from Aliens and to me I don't think it is correct that they have a -10 bias against Mammals..... I would have thought -50 would be correct here.

The Interex are of the family Human and have a -20 bias against Insectoids and the Insectoids in turn have a -20 bias against Humans. To me I think changing these 2 values in raceFamilyBiases to -50 would make a vast difference. Hoewever as other races are part of the Insectoid family some changes are needed.

With the mod as it is at the moment we also have the hrud, the jorgall, the lacrymole, the megarachnid and the tushepta being in the same race family as the Tyranids..... ie Insectoid.

I believe the Tyranids should be in a race family of their own called insectoid xenos so they can be treated separately to the hrud, the jorgall, the lacrymole, the megarachnid and the tushepta.

The Interex decided that the best way to deal with intelligent alien species was not to exterminate them or make war upon them, but to try and coexist with them. So while their bias against the Tyranids is not high this does not mean the Tyranids should have the same good feelings in return.

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 10/24/2019 5:39:35 PM >

(in reply to tofudog)
Post #: 12
RE: Warhammer 40,000 - The Imperium of Man (Work in Pro... - 10/24/2019 5:09:23 PM   
rjord2021

This is what the Tyranids will look like in the reboot version of the mod......

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 10/24/2019 5:29:30 PM >

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 13
RE: Warhammer 40,000 - The Imperium of Man (Work in Pro... - 10/24/2019 5:29:09 PM   
rjord2021

This will be how the Interex appear in this reboot version.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 14
RE: Warhammer 40,000 - The Imperium of Man (Work in Pro... - 10/24/2019 6:05:18 PM   
rjord2021

This will be how the Orc appear in this reboot version.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 15
Warhammer 40,000 - The Imperium of Man (Work in Progress) - 10/24/2019 8:06:44 PM   
rjord2021

Many new races are being added to the mod

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 10/24/2019 8:07:06 PM >

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 16
Warhammer 40,000 - The Imperium of Man (Work in Progress) - 10/24/2019 8:25:00 PM   
rjord2021

.... and more

Inquisitor Torquemada Coteaz

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 10/24/2019 8:35:23 PM >

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 17
RE: Warhammer 40,000 - The Imperium of Man (Work in Pro... - 10/24/2019 8:46:36 PM   
rjord2021

The Dreaded Skaven Army....... oterwise known as Rat-men

Attachment (1)

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 18
RE: Warhammer 40,000 - The Imperium of Man (Work in Pro... - 10/26/2019 9:17:02 AM   
tofudog

Once again the Tyranids.
Those biases and modifiers are all well and good, so I checked what difference a familybias of -50 would make to an already conquered world (in addition to the -50 from race (both 'nids vs Inties and the other way round) that was in place already.
Nothing.
The tyranids have an inherent happyness of +40%, combined with the various adds from living on a well-developed planet, rec-facility on the spaceport... this means that the measly -7 from being unhappy as part of my empire they get, even after all possible biases are set to maximum disagreement, just does not move anything.
On one planet (with pure tyranid pop) there is a notification about being locked into exterminate while xenophobic riots rage. This does not seem to do anything though, which is just as well, since other planets with mixed pops (tyranid/eldar/lacrymole on one) don't get that note.

After seeing this I think that those biases (the mod has both a biases.txt and a racebiases.txt - I believe only one actually gets read, so the other is redundant - they are identical anyway) mostly are for diplomacy while being separate states (which more or less works - having a positive relationship with incompatible xenos is really hard).
The vanilla behaviour for civilian populations (being a little unhappy here and there, but mostly docilely living their lives) is what's getting in the way here.
Can you imagine a w40korc mom shopping for groceries in a shop run by an eldar, while the kids are waiting their turn in the practice of a tyranid dentist?
Thought so.
I would be happy to see the behaviour of populations changed to get more radical - after all, with those lowered maintenance costs you can afford lots of strong garrisons to deal with frequent riots.
Maybe crank down happiness generally?
Maybe RogerBacon (who was messing with the exe for his own mod) has some pointers on what to look for?

As of right now I still think that the 'nids would be best as "silver mist on steroids".

I like your choice of pictures by the way (say hi to Isabella for me).

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 19
RE: Warhammer 40,000 - The Imperium of Man (Work in Pro... - 10/27/2019 12:06:03 AM   
rjord2021

quote:

Once again the Tyranids.
Those biases and modifiers are all well and good, so I checked what difference a familybias of -50 would make to an already conquered world (in addition to the -50 from race (both 'nids vs Inties and the other way round) that was in place already.
Nothing.
The tyranids have an inherent happyness of +40%, combined with the various adds from living on a well-developed planet, rec-facility on the spaceport... this means that the measly -7 from being unhappy as part of my empire they get, even after all possible biases are set to maximum disagreement, just does not move anything.
On one planet (with pure tyranid pop) there is a notification about being locked into exterminate while xenophobic riots rage. This does not seem to do anything though, which is just as well, since other planets with mixed pops (tyranid/eldar/lacrymole on one) don't get that note.

After seeing this I think that those biases (the mod has both a biases.txt and a racebiases.txt - I believe only one actually gets read, so the other is redundant - they are identical anyway) mostly are for diplomacy while being separate states (which more or less works - having a positive relationship with incompatible xenos is really hard).
The vanilla behaviour for civilian populations (being a little unhappy here and there, but mostly docilely living their lives) is what's getting in the way here.
Can you imagine a w40korc mom shopping for groceries in a shop run by an eldar, while the kids are waiting their turn in the practice of a tyranid dentist?
Thought so.
I would be happy to see the behaviour of populations changed to get more radical - after all, with those lowered maintenance costs you can afford lots of strong garrisons to deal with frequent riots.
Maybe crank down happiness generally?
Maybe RogerBacon (who was messing with the exe for his own mod) has some pointers on what to look for?

As of right now I still think that the 'nids would be best as "silver mist on steroids".

I like your choice of pictures by the way (say hi to Isabella for me).

The existing mod does have a number of things that need fixing and I will go through some of the issues with the Tyranids. Refer to the picture below.

The first thing I saw is that their native planet is set as an ocean world..... I believe this needs to be changed as they do not look like a water based species.

The race family is to be changed to Insectoid-Xeno to separate them from other insectoid races.

With their characteristics I think changes need to happen where it states that Tyranids are very cautious and extremely unreliable..... I do not believe this fits the description of the Tyranids.

More changes this time to bonuses.

They have bonuses for being industrious miners giving them faster mining +10%..... when you look at the Tyranid as an insectoid form no way are they suited to be miners. As they devour life in the galaxy they would surely take the resources from other worlds instead of doing the mining themselves.

The second line in Bonuses describe Tyranids as being Natural Optimists giving them a happiness bonus of +40%. Tyranids as Xenos do not appear to be an optimistic race that are even slightly happy.

Are Tyranids master engineers? Perhaps they are.

A number of other areas need to be looked at but this is a starting point.

What I aim to do is make the Tyranids a much darker race whose goal is to devour all life, one planet at a time. They are not happy, they are certainly not cautious and when they see you they will have no hesitation in attacking you.

I am upping their rate of reproduction to 1.5 and changing other key areas which effect how fast they grow.

The Tyranids are seen as one of the gravest threats to the entire Galaxy. They seek only to consume all organic life and cannot be reasoned with or deterred in this quest. Good luck trying to become a friend to The Great Devourer

They are about to become a bigger threat in this mod.

tofudog..... in the picture below you will see a section inserted from the tyranid.txt file in the races folder. Go to the section in the file called SatisfactionModifier and change the value of 40 to 0.

The Satisfaction Modifier shows the rate of happiness at colonies. I have not tested the effects of the change here but please make the change here to make the Tyranids a not so happy predator species.

Regarding the bias files biases.txt does not need to be changed as it does nothing.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 10/27/2019 1:41:01 AM >

(in reply to tofudog)
Post #: 20
Warhammer 40,000 - The Imperium of Man (Work in Progress) - 10/27/2019 1:26:26 AM   
rjord2021

The Interex also needs changes.

The mod as it is at the moment has this advanced civilization living in swamps.

In the picture below you can see that they are also quite aggressive as well as being quite unfriendly .... this needs to be changed in the next version of the mod as the Interex decided that the best way to deal with intelligent alien species was not to exterminate them or make war upon them, but to try and coexist with them.

This and the prior post show some of the changes happening with the mod.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 10/27/2019 1:29:01 AM >

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 21
Warhammer 40,000 - The Imperium of Man (Work in Progress) - 10/27/2019 2:04:39 AM   
rjord2021

I have changed the way the Tyranids appear in this mod as can be seen 2 posts back. I think this is a much better image of what The Great Devourer looks like...... almost like in the Alien movies.

With this look a number of changes need to be made to fit the new look including a whole new range of ships.

Seen below one of the old ships is seen on the left and 2 of the new ships are seen on the right.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 22
Warhammer 40,000 - The Imperium of Man (Work in Progress) - 10/27/2019 4:21:19 AM   
rjord2021

I notice in the picture below from the mod in development that the Ork belong to the family Orkish......

I am pondering changing the family name to Orkoid which will allow me to bring in all Orkoid races such as:
Fungus
Squigs
Snotlings
Gretchin
Orks

The Orkoid race is the most successful species in the whole Galaxy, outnumbering possibly every other race and because of this I am thinking of having Fungus, Squigs, Snotlings, Gretchin and Orks all represented in the mod.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 10/27/2019 4:28:31 AM >

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 23
Warhammer 40,000 - The Imperium of Man (Work in Progress) - 10/27/2019 4:32:32 AM   
rjord2021

Some Factions that I am looking at for this mod :

- Imperium of Man
- Tau Empire
- Chaos
- Ork Pirates
- Eldar Corsairs
- Space Marines
- Tau Empire
- Craftworld Alaitoc
- Kabal of the Onyx Scar
- Waaagh Ghazgkull
- Hivefleet Leviathan
- Black Legion

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 10/27/2019 6:02:44 AM >

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 24
Warhammer 40,000 - The Imperium of Man (Work in Progress) - 10/27/2019 4:43:19 AM   
rjord2021

First look at the Imperial Navy

Attachment (1)

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 25
RE: Warhammer 40,000 - The Imperium of Man (Work in Pro... - 10/27/2019 6:13:36 AM   
tofudog

Hello Rjord,
thanks for your consideration.
On that note I will stop bugging you for a while and see what you come up with - looking forward to it actually.
I think that maybe the original dev used happiness to make the tyranids a stable and cohesive faction (which they are supposed to be, internally) and less as an indication of actual happiness.

Happy (sic!) modding

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 26
RE: Warhammer 40,000 - The Imperium of Man (Work in Pro... - 10/27/2019 6:30:15 AM   
rjord2021

quote:

Hello Rjord,
thanks for your consideration.
On that note I will stop bugging you for a while and see what you come up with - looking forward to it actually.
I think that maybe the original dev used happiness to make the tyranids a stable and cohesive faction (which they are supposed to be, internally) and less as an indication of actual happiness.

Happy (sic!) modding

You are not bugging me..... actually modders always prefer feedback rather than being left to work it out themselves.

(in reply to tofudog)
Post #: 27
RE: Warhammer 40,000 - The Imperium of Man (Work in Pro... - 10/27/2019 9:45:40 AM   
rjord2021

quote:

Happy (sic!) modding

Happiness in a colony will lead to population growth and you can increase happiness using:

1. low taxes
2. or by providing medical or recreation facilities at the colony.

A race can increase its population faster if the colony being setup is the same as it's native home world eg Ocean

I don't think predators like the Tyranid should get happy-stable by being Natural Optimists.... if you select them as a playable race I am thinking it would be a nice challenge to have factors to meet in order to expand the population of Tyranid.... example being to setup your colonies on planets that are only equal to your native home planet.

The Ork are not Natural Optimists and I think this should apply to the Tyranid as well.

In the screenshot above with the Tyranid you will see they get a 20% construction speed when they have access to food and a 200% increase in population growth when they have access to a specific fruit. This should be changed in my opinion as my understanding is that the Tyranid do not eat at all and they do not even have a digestive system. They are spawned, they fight, they die and then they are reabsorbed.

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 10/27/2019 9:54:23 AM >

(in reply to tofudog)
Post #: 28
RE: Warhammer 40,000 - The Imperium of Man (Work in Pro... - 10/27/2019 10:25:41 AM   
EliphasTheInheritor

quote:

quote:

Happy (sic!) modding

Happiness in a colony will lead to population growth and you can increase happiness using:

1. low taxes
2. or by providing medical or recreation facilities at the colony.

A race can increase its population faster if the colony being setup is the same as it's native home world eg Ocean

I don't think predators like the Tyranid should get happy-stable by being Natural Optimists.... if you select them as a playable race I am thinking it would be a nice challenge to have factors to meet in order to expand the population of Tyranid.... example being to setup your colonies on planets that are only equal to your native home planet.

The Ork are not Natural Optimists and I think this should apply to the Tyranid as well.

In the screenshot above with the Tyranid you will see they get a 20% construction speed when they have access to food and a 200% increase in population growth when they have access to a specific fruit. This should be changed in my opinion as my understanding is that the Tyranid do not eat at all and they do not even have a digestive system. They are spawned, they fight, they die and then they are reabsorbed.

How about creating a new resource named "biomass" and put it in all the planets in the galaxy, and then when you're playing as Tyranids and have a planet with biomass resource, you get population growth.

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 29
RE: Warhammer 40,000 - The Imperium of Man (Work in Pro... - 10/27/2019 6:50:11 PM   
rjord2021

quote:

How about creating a new resource named "biomass" and put it in all the planets in the galaxy, and then when you're playing as Tyranids and have a planet with biomass resource, you get population growth.

I had noticed that Biomass had not been added as a resource so I have added it and made the necessary changes to the Tyranid files to replace the food giving 20% construction bonus as well as replacing the fruit which gave a 200% bonus to population growth rate.

I have also removed the Natural Optimists Bonus and added the Happiness Bonus to the section where Tyranids receive bonuses from Biomass.

As you can see the Tyranids now receive much more when they absorb Biomass.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 10/27/2019 7:12:18 PM >

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> Warhammer 40,000 - The Imperium of Man (Work in Progress) Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI