Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Every once in a while there is a moment ...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Decisive Campaigns: Ardennes Offensive >> Every once in a while there is a moment ... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Every once in a while there is a moment ... - 11/19/2021 1:22:55 PM   
rwenstrup

I started playing wargames many years ago. I am 69 years old. My father fought in the Battle of the Bulge in Patton's Army. I have alway bought every Bulge game ... in the hope of playing out the part of the battle my Dad fought in.

Unfortunatly my Dad's division ... the 87th Golden Acorn ... arrived around Dec 28th and fought through January ... missing the timeframe of every scenario I have found.

Today I started up Decisive Campaigns Ardennes and discovered a campaign that starts Jan 1 and plays through Jan 16! I can't tell you how strong the feelings I had! A lifetime of playing wargames ... and finally I can play out the part of the war my Dad fought in! Thank you!!!!!

My Dad was 19, eventually a battery commander ... but at this point a forward recon officer for the 336th artillery of the 87th Div. He wouldn't talk about the war ... but once ... when I became a pilot ... he told me he used to fly over enemy lines in canvas Piper Cubs to call out targets. He said both sides would shoot at the plane... and they always came back with holes in the plane.

I said "Dad, that must have taken a lot of courage to do that!" ... and just like so many of those brave heroes he calmly replied "Naw ... the pilots were the ones I admired ... I flew with nine of them ... and only one came home..."

Thanks for making this scenario!!!

< Message edited by rwenstrup -- 11/19/2021 2:08:59 PM >

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."
Post #: 1
RE: Every once in a while there is a moment ... - 11/19/2021 1:57:19 PM   
nikdav

I'm glad you enjoyed "The Tide Turns", this phase of the battle has always been neglected and I wanted to do this scenario strongly. Thank you for sharing your feelings with us.

Davide

(in reply to rwenstrup)
Post #: 2
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Decisive Campaigns: Ardennes Offensive >> Every once in a while there is a moment ... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI