Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

1941 GC Axis Support Units Setup

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2 >> 1941 GC Axis Support Units Setup Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
1941 GC Axis Support Units Setup - 1/27/2022 12:24:11 AM   
b0sc02

I'm starting my second Axis attempt at the Grand Campaign and I was diving a little deeper into the support unit distribution. I did a decent search through the living manual and search through the forum but came up short for answers.

I'm looking at the most efficient way to get a fair distribution of support units to the HQs of my combat units.

I don't think I'm smart enough in the game yet to understand the value of having the support units move up the HQ command automatically every turn, so I'm looking for a simpler approach. I know of the feature in the Commander's Report that allows me to assign a value, which should fill the HQ the specified number of EACH SU. Ideally, I setup each Corp HQ with the desired level early, have all Corp HQs fill to the requested limit, and then the rest sit in OKH for me to evaluate. If there are plenty extra, I manually distribute or raise the value of certain HQs. Once I get to the point where I'm satisfied with the support units across the whole OKH command structure, I lock the support units and manually move them as I see fit as the game goes on.

Is this a realistic goal? If so, what is the quickest/most efficient way to achieve this?

Thanks!
Post #: 1
RE: 1941 GC Axis Support Units Setup - 1/29/2022 4:30:11 PM   
b0sc02

So I decided to tackle this by manually assigning support units to each HQ as I wanted. In order to do this, I created a spreadsheet that looked at each army group on the Axis side and broke down the current Corps HQ support unit allocation. My goal is to use this spreadsheet and reassign all the non-corps support units to fill out the corps as I see fit. Below is the link to the spreadsheet if anyone is interested.

Things to note: I whipped this up quickly this morning. There may be a couple errors, but I was double checking totals along the way. This is also after I made command structure changes, so the OOB might look a little different from yours. Most of the changes I made were assigning corps to armies that were previously attached directly to OKH or AGs. I also moved divisions around to maximize leader stats (without making any changes to the initial leader setups). So, while this tool might not necessarily be perfect for everyone else right out the box, it does provide the frame work to be used if you wanted to take the allocation of support units more directly in your hands. The good news is, I did not make any changes to any support units prior to making this, so while the command structure might be a little different, the support units should be spot-on. It is also useful to see how many support units are assigned to corps without any/very few divisions.

Edit - I cannot post links or attached .xlsx files. Putting an image as a preview.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to b0sc02)
Post #: 2
RE: 1941 GC Axis Support Units Setup - 2/1/2022 8:21:39 PM   
Yogol

You can do it like that, yes.

But, if you want to min/max and squeeze out the last usage of those SUs, you can...
- put all SUs on OKH at the start of the game
- put all the HQs on "Locked" at the start of the game
- manually re-assign the SUs to the HQs or to individual units the turn before they are needed
- manually re-assign the SUs back to OKH once no longer needed
and repeat those last two steps before any mayor battle (Leningrad, Sevastopol, Moscow,...)

Do not forget that the system will only use a limited number of SUs each battle: 6 for attacks against regular terrain and 18 for urban or heavy urban.
But (and this is important) SUs that are assigned to units do not count to this limit.
So if you attack a city with 3 units, you can assign 6 SUS to it's HQ plus 3 to each of the 3 units, using a total of 15 SUS in the battle.

With this, you can -for example- first use some troops with pioneers & artillery assigned to them (to lower the fort level and disorganise as much enemies as possible) and then attack with other troops that have high combat value SUs attached to them.

(in reply to b0sc02)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2 >> 1941 GC Axis Support Units Setup Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI