Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Looking for advice on reducing isolated pockets

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2 >> The War Room >> Looking for advice on reducing isolated pockets Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Looking for advice on reducing isolated pockets - 1/17/2022 8:54:16 PM   
michael1771

Hey guys,

I struggle with reducing pockets in the first few Axis turns of the full campaign. I find myself getting bogged down and not advancing as far as I see in AARs and videos. Is there something I'm missing here? Do pockets naturally reduce and disappear over time, or do I need to commit more units to the task? Thanks in advance...
Post #: 1
RE: Looking for advice on reducing isolated pockets - 1/17/2022 9:40:54 PM   
actrade

1. Use your panzer groups to create the pockets. I hardly ever use my tank units to attack with as they're too hard to replace. If I do, I make sure they are well supported with 1-2 infantry divisions as well.
2. Then rest them as you use them to hold the encirclement as you use an infantry army to mop up. Don't forget, encircled enemies aren't isolated until the the following turn, so don't try and wipe them out on the same turn as the encirclement as they'll rout rather than surrender and will fight harder.
3. I use security groups for the western edge of the pockets and one army on either side as "pincers". You can also use some of the non-motorized divisions in the Panzer groups to help pincer as well.
4. In a typical 3-4 division corp, try and keep one from moving and/or resting, or rest an entire corps while you attack with another.
5. Get in the habit of having all of your units when possible stop on territory you owned prior to that turn AND at least one hex from an enemy controlled hex so you build CPP faster.
6. Enemy controlled hexes without units in them will naturally close on their own, but if you see one that won't, you probably have an undiscovered enemy unit in it.

TLDR: use your army like a "inchworm", where the panzers bolt out in front and encircle, then rest while the infantry catches up (like they did in real life). Then strike again with your panzers to form new encirclements, then wait for the infantry...rinse and repeat and you'll keep a decent amount of CPP for your next major attack. I can't stress enough how important it is to get out of the habit of racing as far as you can each turn into enemy controlled territory. You will have zero CPP and for what? I ask myself before I move, "what purpose am I serving to move this unit?" If the answer is "just because I can or because it's there" I now just leave it be and use it the next turn. This "inchworm" method also lets you keep your logistics network behind you before you outrace it as well.

(in reply to michael1771)
Post #: 2
RE: Looking for advice on reducing isolated pockets - 1/18/2022 3:53:00 AM   
michael1771

Thanks for the tips sir....appreciated.

(in reply to actrade)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2 >> The War Room >> Looking for advice on reducing isolated pockets Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI