Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Design screen and ship bays

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Coming Soon] >> Distant Worlds 2 >> Design screen and ship bays Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Design screen and ship bays - 1/26/2022 1:49:28 PM   
Darkmater

Post watching a majority of the previews, I noticed that in the design screen the art for weapon types when changed across types didn't change the on-ship art asset weapon representation. For example, a laser or cannon or ion bomb type weapon had the same asset art it seemed, furthermore the different sizes (s,m,l) were not physically different in their on-ship representation.

Curious if there will be different art representations of ship components (engines, weapons, etc.), and the same asset used was more due to preview build or if the components are overall generalized to one art asset across different components for their on-ship representations?

Sorry for digging deep on this, but I am a bit of a ship design geek, and love when the minor details reflect the build/components I have selected. I can tell the weapon size, engine type, etc. visually.
Post #: 1
RE: Design screen and ship bays - 1/26/2022 2:01:53 PM   
Erik Rutins

The weapon component meshes built into the models have two different sizes (small and large) and three different types (long barrel, short barrel, vertical launcher). These are then allocated in the data between the different weapon types, so for example a Small Concussion Missile Launcher will look different from a Large Concussion Missile Launcher but may look the same as a Small Lightning Missile Launcher but would definitely look different than a Small Maxos Blaster or a Small Epsilon Torpedo.

Different Engine types will have the same meshes, but different colored exhausts, but a ship with two engines will generally look fairly different from one with four, etc.. Hangar Bays are either there or they are not (in which case the ship looks like it was never meant to have one, we have additional support meshes so that whatever you choose, the ship looks like it was meant to be that way). Shields have one component mesh, Sensors have a small and a large variation.

What we were going for was enough representation to make the ship models look different based on the design, but while there is unique 2D art for each different component in the component list, each component does not have its own exclusive unique 3D mesh. A ship fielding all rail guns will still have different looking turrets from one fielding epsilon torpedos and a ship fielding heavy rail guns (a large long-barreled weapon) will look distinctive as well, but its by general weapon type rather than that exact component.

Regards,

- Erik

< Message edited by Erik Rutins -- 1/26/2022 2:02:20 PM >

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Darkmater)
Post #: 2
RE: Design screen and ship bays - 1/26/2022 2:07:38 PM   
Darkmater

Wow, fast response. Thank you and appreciate the clarity.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Coming Soon] >> Distant Worlds 2 >> Design screen and ship bays Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI