Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Suggestions and requests

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Victory and Glory: Napoleon >> Tech Support >> Suggestions and requests Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Suggestions and requests - 7/3/2021 11:47:41 AM   
Admiral Delabroglio

A few suggestions :
1- When playing with the Corporal difficulty, the player gets an advantage over the IA. I believe I figured some of it out : the manual states that France gets extra recruits. It seems to me that they get 5-7 instead of 3-5, AND the unit pool gets some random extra units in the available units pool compared to what the manual states, but I'm not sure how many.
Likewise, the Emperor difficulty gives the AI extra units.
Would it be possible to elaborate and write down how many extra units for the reinforcements and how many extra units for the reinforcement pool in the manual ?
2- When using the "undo" feature for a movement, the army that had been moved goes back to its original position but the number of remaining activations does not seem to increase by one.
Edit : the number displayed is not updated at once but gets updated as soon as you click on a stack. It's still mileading though, as the player could believe there is no activation left and end the turn.
3- Poland, Germany and Italy get some units at the start, 3 INF, 1 CAV and 1 ART I believe, and get extra units when the game progresses. Would it be possible to update the manual to state how many units ?

A few requests :
1- I don't know whether the units experience, increasing the combat rating, is a feature of the board game, my copy has not arrived yet. Would it be possible to also have a similar experience for naval units ? Maybe with a 4 maximum for every nation.
2- Would it be possible one day to have an extention enabling to play Great Britain ? There's noyhing wrong with playing the Emperor himself but changing from time to time might be fun
3- How about a scenario editor ? Enabling the player to choose :
a) the starting date
b) the end date (within reasonable limits)
c) the cards in play and in the hands
d) the units in play, including their combat ratings and improvements such as skirmishers of horse artillery
e) the leaders in play
That would truly be great
4- How about an option to notify the players which units will get experience and a combat rating increase while the battle is going on ? Maybe highlight the combat rating in a different color ?

Best regards

< Message edited by Admiral Delabroglio -- 7/6/2021 1:51:13 PM >

Admiral Delabroglio
Post #: 1
More Suggestions and requests - 7/6/2021 1:50:23 PM   
Admiral Delabroglio

Hello

1- Would it be possible for the player to change the names of the Generic leaders ? For the French, for instanve, Drouot, d'Erlond, Reille, Vandamme, Gerard, Mouton are out there, eager to serve their Emperor (and get paid, quite well at that). I won't dignifiy the enemies leaders with naming them here.

2- How about making the difficulty choice more elaborate with sliders, for instance, enable the player to pick :
a) Anglo-allied leaders ability : -1, normal or +1
b) French cards : one per turn, one every other turn
c) Anglo-allied cards : one per turn, one every other turn
d) French reinforcements : +2, normal or -1. If chosing extra reinforcements, extra units in the reinforcement pool
(maybe alternating on a 2 year cycle, 2 inf + light cav + heavy art + ship, 2 inf + medium cav + light art + ship)
e) Anglo-allied reinforcements : +2, normal or -1. If chosing extra reinforcements, extra units in the reinforcement pool for the powers not "Friendly Neutral")
(maybe alternating on a 2 year cycle, 2 inf + light cav + heavy art + ship, 2 inf + medium cav + light art + ship with Great Britain also getting 2 ships)
f) Nations returning to Neutral : 6, 12 or 16 units
g) First turn of the scenario : 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 activations

3- In the 1800 scenario, Spain has no ship. In the 1805, it has 4, under the control of the French Empire. Maybe it also should have 4 in the 1800 scenario, and a card should be added to the French deck to enable France to take control of the Spanish fleet, to be removed from the deck of cards the first time France and Spain are at war.

Best regards

Admiral Delabroglio

(in reply to Admiral Delabroglio)
Post #: 2
RE: More Suggestions and requests - 7/23/2021 6:25:00 AM   
Admiral Delabroglio

Hello

A couple other suggestions

1- In the 1800 scenario, It seems that the "Ottoman Empire declares war on Russia" card is completely useless. France starts at war against the Ottomans and when (if) they surrender, they are friendly to France for the rest of the game but the card cannot be used. Is it possible to get rid of it for good or to correct the game so that it can actually be used ?

2- The continental system card can be played when France is at war against the Ottoman Empire and Great Britain. Is it intended, or an oversight ?

3- Could the game be amended so that Gibraltar CAN be attacked ? It was attacked in the early 18th century, it could be attacked again in the 19th. To account for the fortifications, maybe only attacked from the land side, and automatically make the British defending units benefit from good terrain, such as village / ridge / high standing crops for all the defending units the first time the French attack it.

4- Could the probability for the units to gain experience be modified ? Maybe in the opening screen. Like in "Victory and Glory : the Civil War", a slight chance for being in a fight and a larger one for each enemy unit eliminated. Ideally, with the player being able to modify the probabilities at the start of the game.

5- The manual states that the Ottoman Empire can build units if it gets in a war against Russia "as Syracuse". I suspect this is a ghost from the Cathage game.

6- Can the British play the "Guard infantry" card for Prussian / Spanish / Ottoman / Minor units ? Likewise, can the "Heavy Cavalry" be played for Spanish / Ottoman / Minor units ?

7- What cards exactly are permamently removed from the game when played, and which ones can be re-used ?
The manual states that the "Danish Navy" card is removed from the game, as well as the "Raid on Denmark"

I believe the following cards are removed or should be removed from the French deck when played :
a) Kingdom of Naples / Northern Italy / Bavaria / Westphalia / Confederation of the Rhine / Grand Duchy of Warsaw
b) Egypt : Gateway to India / Irish Revolt / Louisiana purchase / US declare war on Great Britain
c) Berthier / Code Napoleon / Concordat / Continental System / Napoleon marries into a royal family
d) Prussia prostrate / Treaty of Tilsit / Kingdom of Spain
The other ones, I suspect, can be used again (reshuffled into the deck at some point).

Likewise, the following cards are removed, or should be removed from the British deck :
a) Liberate Major Nation
b) Military Reforms (4 cards) / Prussian General Staff
c) Germany / Italy rebels / Revolt in Spain (I think there is a post about the last one, requesting that it be a single use card)
d) The Grand Alliance / Bernadotte / Wellington
e) Continental System strangles trade

In addition, maybe the cards "Milan decree", "Baltic Naval Stores", "Revolutionary Ideals", "German Nationalism" should be for a single use
Would it be possible to complete the manual and write it ?

Also, maybe using the "General" card after the named leaders have all been use should "resurrect" a dead one, if any, with a maximum ability of 6, so no Suvorov Suvorovich and no Wellington II. That way, the said leader would not be removed from play. Or enable the player to name the leader and make him permanent.

About countries surrendering and re-entering the war.
Prussia surrendered and a bunch of small stacks disappeared. When Prussia re-entered the war, all those stacks were re-created in Berlin as separate stacks. Thus, it seemed that there were a lot of Prussian units in Berlin. I moved in with a huge army and defeated them piecemeal.
Maybe all the stacks should immediately be merged into one when a country resumes the war. If more than 20 units (30 late in the war) several equal sized stacks.

Alas, since there seems to be only few views in this forum, I suspect that Matrix will not consider allowing resources to be used for that game a high priority. It really is too bad, Victory and Glory is quite enjoyable.

Best regards

Admiral Delabroglio

Post #: 3
RE: More Suggestions and requests - 7/24/2021 8:02:31 PM   
mercenarius

There is a lot for me to digest here, and I will try to do so in the next couple of days. I have been thinking about an update to 'Napoleon' but it will be more along the lines of bug fixes rather than any extensions to game play.

This however, is HILARIOUS and must be acknowledged right now:

quote:

5- The manual states that the Ottoman Empire can build units if it gets in a war against Russia "as Syracuse". I suspect this is a ghost from the Cathage game.

You are right, that must have been leftover somehow from 'Hannibal'

I really got a laugh out of that one, so thanks for pointing it out to me.

James Warshawsky
Forced March Games, LLC

Post #: 4
RE: More Suggestions and requests - 10/7/2021 10:25:00 PM   
mercenarius

Well, 2 or 3 days apparently means 2 or 3 months in 'Mercenarius Time'.

Now that the patch is finally out, I'll try to respond.

The new patch tries to clean up any out-and-out errors. In particular I have cleaned up the "Ottoman Empire Declares War on Russia" card so that it's not going to clutter up the deck when it cannot be used ever again. Same thing with the Revolt in Spain card for the AI.

Otherwise I have left the event cards alone. There are things in the game that in theory might be improved or changed, but I don't like messing with a design that I think is quite good overall. And I can say that without too much conceit because the design is almost entirely the work of Glenn Drover, not me.

This thread has made many worthy suggestions but it's hard to find time for major revision of an existing game. The Law of Diminishing Returns definitely asserts itself - in more ways that one. I hope that the patch will seem like a small improvement, at least, for most players.

< Message edited by mercenarius -- 10/7/2021 10:32:26 PM >

James Warshawsky
Forced March Games, LLC

(in reply to mercenarius)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Victory and Glory: Napoleon >> Tech Support >> Suggestions and requests Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI