Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Purchase on Matrixgames -> Steam Key?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Coming Soon] >> Distant Worlds 2 >> Purchase on Matrixgames -> Steam Key? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Purchase on Matrixgames -> Steam Key? - 1/25/2022 8:48:45 PM   
Slish

I heard there might be a physical edition of DW2 with a physical manual as well. Is this true?
If yes, if I buy it on here. Will I get a Steam Key as well? Besides the manual digital download?
Post #: 1
RE: Purchase on Matrixgames -> Steam Key? - 1/25/2022 9:21:08 PM   
Erik Rutins

There are no plans for a physical manual at this time. Separate from that, any purchase here also provides a free Steam key if the game is also on Steam and of course purchases here give more direct revenue to the developer than purchases on Steam, so we always appreciate direct sales.

Edited: To be clear, all our games purchased at the Matrix/Slitherine store have the option for a physical copy (Case + DVD) but only a few have a physical printed manual. DW2 will have a box+DVD version (which we call DX) but it will not have a printed physical manual. It will have a PDF manual.

< Message edited by Erik Rutins -- 2/3/2022 12:41:26 PM >

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Slish)
Post #: 2
RE: Purchase on Matrixgames -> Steam Key? - 1/25/2022 9:29:22 PM   
Slish

Alright, thanks for the quick reply.
Sad to hear there will be no physical version yet. I hope there will be a digital manual at least? Like DW:U?

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 3
RE: Purchase on Matrixgames -> Steam Key? - 1/25/2022 9:30:54 PM   
Erik Rutins

There will of course be a full digital manual as well as in-game tours and tutorials and the in-game galactopedia.

< Message edited by Erik Rutins -- 1/25/2022 9:31:08 PM >

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Slish)
Post #: 4
RE: Purchase on Matrixgames -> Steam Key? - 1/25/2022 9:32:52 PM   
Slish

Great!

Post #: 5
RE: Purchase on Matrixgames -> Steam Key? - 1/28/2022 10:48:55 PM   
Nabobalis

I guess there is zero chance of a pre-order being opened and allowing "early access" to the game?

(in reply to Slish)
Post #: 6
RE: Purchase on Matrixgames -> Steam Key? - 1/29/2022 1:01:38 AM   
Erik Rutins

There is no early access, but we will have pre-orders.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Nabobalis)
Post #: 7
RE: Purchase on Matrixgames -> Steam Key? - 1/30/2022 10:49:34 PM   
sinbuster

Not sure if you would know this Eric, but will we be able to preload the game on steam? If so, would we receive our steam key prior to the release date (if we purchased through Matrix)? I've purchased games through fanatical and the key usually arrives the day of release so no opportunity to preload.

Post #: 8
RE: Purchase on Matrixgames -> Steam Key? - 1/30/2022 10:59:05 PM   
Zuffa

After reading the thread above, when will the pre-order available? I would much rather but DW2 from Matrix..

(in reply to sinbuster)
Post #: 9
RE: Purchase on Matrixgames -> Steam Key? - 1/30/2022 11:46:46 PM   
zgrssd

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zuffa

After reading the thread above, when will the pre-order available? I would much rather but DW2 from Matrix..

According to Marco from Tea Time, 10th of February is preorder.
10th of March is release.

(in reply to Zuffa)
Post #: 10
RE: Purchase on Matrixgames -> Steam Key? - 1/31/2022 8:29:31 PM   
Zuffa

Thank you...

(in reply to zgrssd)
Post #: 11
RE: Purchase on Matrixgames -> Steam Key? - 2/1/2022 2:06:24 AM   
Vyshka

Erik is it supposed to be available for preorder on the Humble Store today? Don't know if that is intentional or accidental.

"When they get in trouble they send for the sonsabitches" - Adm. King

(in reply to zgrssd)
Post #: 12
RE: Purchase on Matrixgames -> Steam Key? - 2/1/2022 2:25:15 AM   
Erik Rutins

Not as far as I know, looks like someone flipped a switch early. Thanks for the heads-up, will check on that.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Vyshka)
Post #: 13
RE: Purchase on Matrixgames -> Steam Key? - 2/1/2022 3:03:33 PM   
3asytarg3t

I would have thought the first place you'd want to release the game for purchase would be right here and not on Humble Bundle?!

Post #: 14
RE: Purchase on Matrixgames -> Steam Key? - 2/1/2022 3:04:32 PM   
Erik Rutins

Humble Bundle made a mistake and turned things on earlier than they were supposed to. Should be fixed today.

Customers will not get the game any earlier by purchasing there, to be clear. The single best place to get it (IMHO) is here on our store as that will give you access as early as anywhere, more of the purchase price will go to support the developer and you also get a free Steam key as well as our stand-alone installer version which is not tied to any particular client.

< Message edited by Erik Rutins -- 2/1/2022 3:06:32 PM >

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to 3asytarg3t)
Post #: 15
RE: Purchase on Matrixgames -> Steam Key? - 2/1/2022 3:08:55 PM   
3asytarg3t

I fully intend to buy it here.

Post #: 16
RE: Purchase on Matrixgames -> Steam Key? - 2/1/2022 5:51:00 PM   
Cauldyth

Just point us to the purchase button!

(in reply to 3asytarg3t)
Post #: 17
RE: Purchase on Matrixgames -> Steam Key? - 2/1/2022 8:44:02 PM   
zgrssd

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cauldyth

Just point us to the purchase button!

10th of February we can preorder.

(in reply to Cauldyth)
Post #: 18
RE: Purchase on Matrixgames -> Steam Key? - 2/3/2022 12:41:51 PM   
Erik Rutins

I updated my initial reply to clarify that there will be a physical option, just not a printed physical manual.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to zgrssd)
Post #: 19
RE: Purchase on Matrixgames -> Steam Key? - 2/12/2022 5:00:58 PM   
U235

Pre-ordered on Matrix website. Some of the commenters on Steam give me a real chuckle. They cry and stomp their feet if a release doesn't come out on Steam right away. I cannot for the life of me imagine why anyone would not want to order here. You get the Steam Key, you get the installer, you can burn your own backup to disk (if you still have a CD drive). If one has an account, all their Matrix/Slitherine keys and the installers are available here, plus there is they yearly anniversary coupons.

Perhaps it's just reliance on convenience (though one does get the Steam key, too). I do wish Matrix/Slitherine would do something about their update system. Mine often errors out and I have to come to the website for manual updates.

A little part of me was hoping that DW2 would have only been initially released over on on Matrix/Slitherine website for the first week or two in order to support the Dev's better (and make the "Steam or nothing" fanbois cry a bit more). The wailing about DW:U's non-sale price was epic, as it seem some cannot be bothered to find the games unless Steam has them plastered on their sale page.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to the release. Rarely do I pre-order, but I made an exception with DW2, especially for a VERY reasonable price even before the 10% discount.

Post #: 20
RE: Purchase on Matrixgames -> Steam Key? - 2/12/2022 6:12:34 PM   
StormingKiwi

quote:

ORIGINAL: U235
I cannot for the life of me imagine why anyone would not want to order here. You get the Steam Key, you get the installer, you can burn your own backup to disk (if you still have a CD drive). If one has an account, all their Matrix/Slitherine keys and the installers are available here, plus there is they yearly anniversary coupons.

Could it be because it is more expensive for the same product and Steam avoids the bank charging a foreign currency fee?

(in reply to U235)
Post #: 21
RE: Purchase on Matrixgames -> Steam Key? - 2/12/2022 6:32:40 PM   
Slish

Yeah, I would be fine with buying it on Slitherine site if it was the same price, but on Steam its 4,50 euros cheaper (37,79 euro vs 42,29 euros). So yeah, I'll buy it on steam.

< Message edited by Slish -- 2/12/2022 6:34:16 PM >

(in reply to StormingKiwi)
Post #: 22
RE: Purchase on Matrixgames -> Steam Key? - 2/12/2022 8:04:48 PM   
Clux

For me its the regional pricing, purchasing on Steam its around $20 USD while on Matrix its $45 USD, but the big take here its than $45 USD its half of my monthly income :(

Amateurs talk about strategy. Professionals talk about logistics!

(in reply to Slish)
Post #: 23
RE: Purchase on Matrixgames -> Steam Key? - 2/12/2022 10:16:45 PM   
rxnnxs

Why is it, that this preorder is on steam cheaper than on matrixgames?
Here it is 10% off 42.29€
on steam it is 10% off and costs 37,79€
What is the difference? How can Steam be cheaper?

(in reply to Clux)
Post #: 24
RE: Purchase on Matrixgames -> Steam Key? - 2/12/2022 11:35:13 PM   
Spidey

quote:

ORIGINAL: rxnnxs

There's a 10% preorder discount everywhere and on Steam there appears to be an additional 10% "look here, best 4X game ever!!" attention grabber bonus discount. Not enough to be totally unfair but enough for the game to appear as being on sale and maybe getting noticed by a bunch of people who aren't aware of the game yet.

(in reply to rxnnxs)
Post #: 25
RE: Purchase on Matrixgames -> Steam Key? - 2/13/2022 6:55:03 AM   
zgrssd

quote:

ORIGINAL: rxnnxs

Answered here:
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/fb.asp?m=5144602

(in reply to rxnnxs)
Post #: 26
RE: Purchase on Matrixgames -> Steam Key? - 2/13/2022 9:46:54 AM   
rxnnxs

Thank you for your answers, but in the morning it came to my mind, there is another reason for the price: it works without steam!
And THATS the point where I say: On GOG or from matrixgames, but only if forced to on steam.
Soo, I guess I will buy it from GOG.
Thank you so much guys for your hard work!
Finally.. it is there to reach!

(in reply to zgrssd)
Post #: 27
RE: Purchase on Matrixgames -> Steam Key? - 2/13/2022 10:42:37 AM   
actrade

Erik,

First let me say I'm really looking forward to the game. Second, I ordered from Matrix under the impression there was a physical manual until I saw your post and with shipping, paid over $75. Without the manual, I don't need the physical order. Is there a way to cancel/replace my order? Thanks.

Post #: 28
RE: Purchase on Matrixgames -> Steam Key? - 2/13/2022 2:03:52 PM   
U235

quote:

ORIGINAL: StormingKiwi

quote:

I cannot for the life of me imagine why anyone would not want to order here. You get the Steam Key, you get the installer, you can burn your own backup to disk (if you still have a CD drive). If one has an account, all their Matrix/Slitherine keys and the installers are available here, plus there is they yearly anniversary coupons.

Could it be because it is more expensive for the same product and Steam avoids the bank charging a foreign currency fee?

It could be. I can only speak from my experience here in the USA. I don't know what algorithms Steam or Matrix use to calculate cost in other parts of the world, but I'll give an example of what I'm talking about. This year, earlier this month, one commenter on Steam was complaining that DW:U was 55 euros. It was just $6 (even cheaper now) for the better part of two months during the Matrix/SLitherine holiday sale.

I've hear that Steam takes 30% of the cost (maybe someone can confirm) for the sale. That's in addition to Matrix/Slitherine's cut, so the dev's get even less. Ever wonder why some titles lose support? I would tend to believe because doing so is no longer profitable for the developers. Cheap is good for the short term, maybe not so much for the long term. Anniversary coupons are a good way to save, even if the game was released the same day, of course one would have to have patience to buy until they got their coupon. Not something everyone has, but if costs are a concern, there are solutions.

As I said, here in the US, Matrix and Steam price are the same, with both having a 10% discount (for a cost of $44.99). If you live elsewhere and it's cheaper, great news for you. Matrix/Slitherine IMO should look at locations selling for less that they are in the same location, as they are hurting their own business, but that's on them to consider.

Also, not sure if this is available to other countries, but I have two credit cards and neither charge a fee for foreign transactions, one which I link to my PayPal account for transactions such as this. I'd definitely check to see if something like that is available to me if I lived elsewhere.

BTW GOG (who I do like) has DW2 on pre-order here in the USA for $49.99 with no mention of a discount.

(in reply to StormingKiwi)
Post #: 29
RE: Purchase on Matrixgames -> Steam Key? - 2/14/2022 5:40:15 AM   
StormingKiwi

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: StormingKiwi

quote:

It could be. I can only speak from my experience here in the USA. I don't know what algorithms Steam or Matrix use to calculate cost in other parts of the world, but I'll give an example of what I'm talking about. This year, earlier this month, one commenter on Steam was complaining that DW:U was 55 euros. It was just $6 (even cheaper now) for the better part of two months during the Matrix/SLitherine holiday sale.

I've hear that Steam takes 30% of the cost (maybe someone can confirm) for the sale. That's in addition to Matrix/Slitherine's cut, so the dev's get even less. Ever wonder why some titles lose support? I would tend to believe because doing so is no longer profitable for the developers. Cheap is good for the short term, maybe not so much for the long term. Anniversary coupons are a good way to save, even if the game was released the same day, of course one would have to have patience to buy until they got their coupon. Not something everyone has, but if costs are a concern, there are solutions.

As I said, here in the US, Matrix and Steam price are the same, with both having a 10% discount (for a cost of $44.99). If you live elsewhere and it's cheaper, great news for you. Matrix/Slitherine IMO should look at locations selling for less that they are in the same location, as they are hurting their own business, but that's on them to consider.

Also, not sure if this is available to other countries, but I have two credit cards and neither charge a fee for foreign transactions, one which I link to my PayPal account for transactions such as this. I'd definitely check to see if something like that is available to me if I lived elsewhere.

BTW GOG (who I do like) has DW2 on pre-order here in the USA for $49.99 with no mention of a discount.

A poster on the Steam forums made an extremely good point. To paraphrase, when you buy on Steam, it counts towards the Steam global sales charts, meaning that more people are exposed to the game through Steam's algorithms, especially if it becomes a top-selling product.

If offered the choice between the revenue of 1x$50 or 10x$35, I'd pick the $350, but that's just me.

Of course, Matrix/Steam prices are the same, Matrix has a USA office and benchmarks the international prices to the US price.

It could be that foreign currency fee is something the Australasian banks dreamed up to reduce transaction fees for all customers to only those buying in foreign currencies.

(in reply to U235)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Coming Soon] >> Distant Worlds 2 >> Purchase on Matrixgames -> Steam Key? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI