Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

"A Week in..." Scenarios

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Campaign Series: Vietnam >> "A Week in..." Scenarios Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
"A Week in..." Scenarios - 1/20/2022 6:27:06 PM   
benpark

Just installed, but I'll have to wait a bit to dig into the game, so I'm thinking of how to get going. Just watching all of those graphic files installing shows the amount of work that went into this. Pretty impressive stuff.

I'm going to start off on one of these big scenarios, after getting the lay of the land. Any suggestions on how to spend the first few turns of the "A Week in..." scenarios?

"Fear is a darkroom where the devil develops his negatives" Gary Busey
Post #: 1
RE: "A Week in..." Scenarios - 1/20/2022 6:32:15 PM   
Jason Petho

I would recommend starting with the Mekong one before you try the Binh Long one. The Mekong is smaller and will get you ready for the Binh Long monster.

First things to do would be go through your forces and understand which units are in which battalions. They are fairly well laid out at the beginning, but get familiar with them. Also take some time to familiarize with the map. Maybe even print out the map supplied in the manual in Section 9 so you have a quick reference to the areas that are being referenced in the briefings.

You'll want to ensure that you complete your missions during the days, as the nights will be spent laagering either at the main bases or somewhere in the field.

Keep a close eye on your helicopters and your logistics elements.

Pay attention very carefully to the daily tasks and who is to be doing what!

(in reply to benpark)
Post #: 2
RE: "A Week in..." Scenarios - 1/22/2022 3:01:48 PM   
mkeogh76

Started playing the Mekong "A Week In" scenario.

I enjoyed playing the first day. However, when I followed orders by sending a certain battalion to take control that large island, some of the objectives on that island triggered the "not following orders" popup which deducts 1,000 EPs. I don't understand why. The objectives were on that island, and clearly showed a value of "1" both on the map and in the hex descriptor which, according to the scenario briefing, means that they're supposed to be captured. Yet I got punished for doing so. Is this a bug? Or some sort of "red-herring" feature to randomly ding the player EP points?

I did not enjoy the second day much. Just a lesson in frustration. Watching my ammo/arty levels drop to "0" despite there being little or no fighting. Having to move across the entire map using tiresome river transport to capture objectives in a vast area some of which AGAIN triggered the "not following order" popup despite being labeled "1." And finally trying to plot backroads detours for that ARNV column to avoid hitting "0" objectives. One mis-click and BOOM: goodbye, 1000 EP. It was just more frustrating than fun, and I threw in the towel after 90 turns.

I love the concept of the "A Week In" scenarios- force preservation, following orders, and determining force makeup for the missions. But the game's mechanics, some questionable design decisions, and those "not following orders" popups on objectives clearly marked "1" wore me down. Maybe I'll give it another shot someday.

(in reply to Jason Petho)
Post #: 3
RE: "A Week in..." Scenarios - 1/22/2022 3:08:15 PM   
Jason Petho

quote:

ORIGINAL: mkeogh76

Started playing the Mekong "A Week In" scenario.

I enjoyed playing the first day. However, when I followed orders by sending a certain battalion to take control that large island, some of the objectives on that island triggered the "not following orders" popup which deducts 1,000 EPs. I don't understand why. The objectives were on that island, and clearly showed a value of "1" both on the map and in the hex descriptor which, according to the scenario briefing, means that they're supposed to be captured. Yet I got punished for doing so. Is this a bug? Or some sort of "red-herring" feature to randomly ding the player EP points?

That is a data error, I thought we got them all cleaned up. Sorry about that!! Do you recall which objectives they were?

quote:

I did not enjoy the second day much. Just a lesson in frustration. Watching my ammo/arty levels drop to "0" despite there being little or no fighting. Having to move across the entire map using tiresome river transport to capture objectives in a vast area some of which AGAIN triggered the "not following order" popup despite being labeled "1." And finally trying to plot backroads detours for that ARNV column to avoid hitting "0" objectives. One mis-click and BOOM: goodbye, 1000 EP. It was just more frustrating than fun, and I threw in the towel after 90 turns.

You have to perform the logisitics tasks that are assigned. If you don't, you will run out of ammo.

quote:

I love the concept of the "A Week In" scenarios- force preservation, following orders, and determining force makeup for the missions. But the game's mechanics, some questionable design decisions, and those "not following orders" popups on objectives clearly marked "1" wore me down. Maybe I'll give it another shot someday.

If you can help which ones were causing you grief, I can fix them ASAP.

(in reply to mkeogh76)
Post #: 4
RE: "A Week in..." Scenarios - 1/22/2022 3:32:52 PM   
mkeogh76

Sorry, I can't remember the broken objectives. Wasn't sure if it was a feature or a bug. So, I just played through without marking them down. It happened 4 or 5 times over the course of the two days I played. At least two on the first day island mission and another two or three in the Delta/Gamma areas of the 2nd day missions.

I completed those 2nd day supply missions. However, those missions come late in the day when the ammo situation was already ridiculous. Plus, it takes time to move the supply trucks to those remote locations especially the ones requiring the use of the very slow pontoon ferries. And then upon reaching those locations, one must wait another five turns for the ammo levels to rise. By the time I completed those missions I'd been stuck playing with either very limited ammo/arty or none at all for most of the day. It was extremely frustrating watching my ammo/arty diminish every turn despite my not using any of it. Of course, when fighting did occur, my troops were instantly "low ammo" and without any arty/mortar support. It felt more like I was fighting against the scenario design than the VC. Those supply missions should be given much earlier in the day. (Granted, now that I know about them, if I do attempt this scenario again then I will ensure supply trucks accompany the troops so I can more quickly complete those missions.)

Post #: 5
RE: "A Week in..." Scenarios - 1/22/2022 3:38:09 PM   
berto

Try looking in: Status > Message Log...

That should have a record of earlier message pop-ups (sorted most recent to earliest). With luck, you will still have those EP penalty messages in the Log. With even better luck, there will be some detail about the precise nature of the malus.

(Note: You can toggle ON a more compact form of the Message Log by way of: Options > Compact Message Log.)

Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com/
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=1515
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles, Civil War Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com

(in reply to mkeogh76)
Post #: 6
RE: "A Week in..." Scenarios - 1/22/2022 3:38:42 PM   
Jason Petho

quote:

Sorry, I can't remember the broken objectives. Wasn't sure if it was a feature or a bug. So, I just played through without marking them down. It happened 4 or 5 times over the course of the two days I played. At least two on the first day island mission and another two or three in the Delta/Gamma areas of the 2nd day missions.

I completed those 2nd day supply missions. However, those missions come late in the day when the ammo situation was already ridiculous. Plus, it takes time to move the supply trucks to those remote locations especially the ones requiring the use of the very slow pontoon ferries. And then upon reaching those locations, one must wait another five turns for the ammo levels to rise. By the time I completed those missions I'd been stuck playing with either very limited ammo/arty or none at all for most of the day. It was extremely frustrating watching my ammo/arty diminish every turn despite my not using any of it. Of course, when fighting did occur, my troops were instantly "low ammo" and without any arty/mortar support. It felt more like I was fighting against the scenario design than the VC. Those supply missions should be given much earlier in the day. (Granted, now that I know about them, if I do attempt this scenario again then I will ensure supply trucks accompany the troops so I can more quickly complete those missions.)

Duly noted, I'll give it another run through and see if I can track them down.

The "AREAS" were added late in the game (due to tester feedback), so some of the objectives may have been missed in the lua file.

I have to double check, there should have been Day 1 supply runs that needed to be done that would have boosted your supply. I will double check those too to make sure they would have provided the boost you need. The supply losses do relax during the evenings, fortunately.

Either way, I'll tweak that for 1.01.

THANK YOU for the feedback!

(in reply to mkeogh76)
Post #: 7
RE: "A Week in..." Scenarios - 1/22/2022 4:07:05 PM   
mkeogh76

I completed the 1st day supply mission as well, but supply wasn't an issue on the first day. So, I didn't pay attention/notice any effects from completing it. The 2nd day, though, watching every turn as my ammo/arty precipitously dropped down to "0" despite my not firing anything just came across as "gamey"- an artificially created challenge. Part of the reason I wasn't sure those broken objectives really were "broken" was the "throw a wrench in the works" nature of taking away my ammo/arty on the 2nd day. However, it was a lesson learned: take along supply trucks in case a logistics mission pops-up.

Post #: 8
RE: "A Week in..." Scenarios - 1/22/2022 4:11:43 PM   
Jason Petho

quote:

I completed the 1st day supply mission as well, but supply wasn't an issue on the first day. So, I didn't pay attention/notice any effects from completing it. The 2nd day, though, watching every turn as my ammo/arty precipitously dropped down to "0" despite my not firing anything just came across as "gamey"- an artificially created challenge. Part of the reason I wasn't sure those broken objectives really were "broken" was the "throw a wrench in the works" nature of taking away my ammo/arty on the 2nd day. However, it was a lesson learned: take along supply trucks in case a logistics mission pops-up.

Yes, supply trucks joining the foray is always a good thing. For sure! But just a matter of making sure you're bringing the right truck!

(in reply to mkeogh76)
Post #: 9
RE: "A Week in..." Scenarios - 2/4/2022 1:27:45 PM   
mkeogh76

Gave the Mekong scenario another shot with the 1.01b update. I played the first day and captured every required objective. Two of them still triggered the "For Operations Outside Planned Area of Operations for Day" popup which deducts 1000 EP. This time I wrote them down:

Hexes:

143, 104 (Ap Thoi Thanh)

132, 68 (Ap Than Binh)

Post #: 10
RE: "A Week in..." Scenarios - 2/4/2022 1:54:21 PM   
carll11

I 'assume' supply trucks can for example resupply helos in the field not on a 'marked' LZ?

(in reply to mkeogh76)
Post #: 11
RE: "A Week in..." Scenarios - 2/4/2022 2:37:37 PM   
Jason Petho

If one of your helo's are forced to land because of running out of fuel, yes, you can refuel it by moving a headquarters or a supply unit into the same hex.

(in reply to carll11)
Post #: 12
RE: "A Week in..." Scenarios - 2/4/2022 3:09:35 PM   
carll11

thank you sir!

Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Campaign Series: Vietnam >> "A Week in..." Scenarios Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI