Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Finally starting first turn of IJN Campaign!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Finally starting first turn of IJN Campaign! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Finally starting first turn of IJN Campaign! - 2/8/2022 4:24:14 AM   
BananaConvention

Well it took a week and over 20 hard real hours of work but I finally have my IJN Scenario Campaign against the Hard AI setup and ready to execute. Thanks to EVERYONE who has helped me get through this. I'm excited to learn how to manage stuff on this scale for an eventual attempt at a PBEM campaign some day.

I'm going to have a million questions and industry and resource management primarily as I get through this, as well as how to setup the AE Tracker software (I'm so confused by it...) I hope you all will continue to help me!

Thanks again!!

Oberleutnant Joachim "Jochen" Heiden
3./JG51 "Mölders"

Currently looking for Allied PBEM opponents
Post #: 1
RE: Finally starting first turn of IJN Campaign! - 2/8/2022 4:57:43 AM   
rockmedic109

The first turns do get faster. I started at about 12 hours {allied} and it's now about 6 or 7. That includes being OCD with American freighters in the Indian Ocean {I gather them all together and sent them to the west coast}.

Good luck.

This game is more about the journey than it is winning or loosing.

(in reply to BananaConvention)
Post #: 2
RE: Finally starting first turn of IJN Campaign! - 2/8/2022 11:58:40 AM   
Mike Solli

Do an AAR! You can ask all the questions you like there and you'll get all the answers you want!

Created by the amazing Dixie

(in reply to rockmedic109)
Post #: 3
RE: Finally starting first turn of IJN Campaign! - 2/8/2022 2:26:38 PM   
Q-Ball

Good luck! You have asked some good questions on here, so seems like you're picking it up quickly

Game is really best vs. human, but vs. AI excellent way to learn that's for sure

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 4
RE: Finally starting first turn of IJN Campaign! - 2/8/2022 4:42:40 PM   
BananaConvention

I will say this, I have no concept of ship building and how to manage that. I see about 1700 ships in a build queue but I don’t know how any of it works. Are there any guides on how to manage shipbuilding?

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 5
RE: Finally starting first turn of IJN Campaign! - 2/8/2022 5:06:43 PM   
Platoonist

quote:

ORIGINAL: BananaConvention

I will say this, I have no concept of ship building and how to manage that. I see about 1700 ships in a build queue but I don’t know how any of it works. Are there any guides on how to manage shipbuilding?

Unless you choose to cancel some ships or accelerate others, they pretty much build to the historical schedule. I know it's common practice among some IJN players to cancel the CV Shinano or some late war subs to free shipbuilding points to accelerate something else. The carrier Taiho perhaps.

< Message edited by Platoonist -- 2/8/2022 5:11:00 PM >

Post #: 6
RE: Finally starting first turn of IJN Campaign! - 2/8/2022 6:41:06 PM   
Sardaukar

I think some also cancel/stop Musashi in favour of accelerating CV build.

"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

(in reply to Platoonist)
Post #: 7
RE: Finally starting first turn of IJN Campaign! - 2/8/2022 8:39:06 PM   
Uncivil Engineer

quote:

You'll notice a lot of very low point (and very little use) xAK and xAKL. If built, those ships are easy victory points for the Allies later in the war, but the points saved from NOT building them can be used to accelerate a TK or 2 (or more), as an example.

Yamato and Musashi require a huge number of naval shipyard points that could be used for something more useful than floating refueling stations. Both suck up a lot of fuel just moving around. You decide. I usually build 1 of them, not both.

That's my 2 cents.

Post #: 8
RE: Finally starting first turn of IJN Campaign! - 2/8/2022 9:31:51 PM   
Q-Ball

Merchant Shipyard, or MSY, builds CVE and all non-warship types. As Japan, in this category you should really only build CS, CVE, TK, AO....don't build any additional AP or AK. You have plenty already. You will never need to expand MSY.

Naval Shipyard, or NSY, is more finite. ACCELERATING ships costs more points, but you'll get it quicker. You can HALT build for things that are just too expensive. It's your first game, so here are just a few basic pointers:
1. HALT the Shinano. Waste of resources
2. ACCELERATE TAIHO and the first 2 UNRYUs. You can accelerate more later, but start with that
3. HALT all RO-Boats and SSTs. I would also halt enough other submarines to get your NSY expenditure in balance with available points, but you should be able to build a few SS right away. Subs are useful, but they cost alot of NSY per sub.

Some like Saudaurkar halt the MUSASHI, but I build her. I like sailing the YAMATOs in pair. Also it's just a badass ship.....will rip apart the slower Allied BBs if you get a chance.

That's a good start, everything else can just build normally

< Message edited by Q-Ball -- 2/8/2022 9:33:14 PM >

(in reply to Uncivil Engineer)
Post #: 9
RE: Finally starting first turn of IJN Campaign! - 2/9/2022 1:54:40 AM   
Tanaka

quote:

Well it took a week and over 20 hard real hours of work but I finally have my IJN Scenario Campaign against the Hard AI setup and ready to execute. Thanks to EVERYONE who has helped me get through this. I'm excited to learn how to manage stuff on this scale for an eventual attempt at a PBEM campaign some day.

I'm going to have a million questions and industry and resource management primarily as I get through this, as well as how to setup the AE Tracker software (I'm so confused by it...) I hope you all will continue to help me!

Thanks again!!

Welcome to another JFB! The first turn is the hardest part. Once you get through that the fun begins and turns go much smoother! Use combat reporter and tracker to make the turns even easier.

Best tip for the Japanese economy is don't over do everything. Little boosts here and there.

Is this the stock scenario?

Welcome to the club and good luck!

Post #: 10
RE: Finally starting first turn of IJN Campaign! - 2/9/2022 1:56:03 AM   
Tanaka

quote:

ORIGINAL: Q-Ball

Merchant Shipyard, or MSY, builds CVE and all non-warship types. As Japan, in this category you should really only build CS, CVE, TK, AO....don't build any additional AP or AK. You have plenty already. You will never need to expand MSY.

Naval Shipyard, or NSY, is more finite. ACCELERATING ships costs more points, but you'll get it quicker. You can HALT build for things that are just too expensive. It's your first game, so here are just a few basic pointers:
1. HALT the Shinano. Waste of resources
2. ACCELERATE TAIHO and the first 2 UNRYUs. You can accelerate more later, but start with that
3. HALT all RO-Boats and SSTs. I would also halt enough other submarines to get your NSY expenditure in balance with available points, but you should be able to build a few SS right away. Subs are useful, but they cost alot of NSY per sub.

Some like Saudaurkar halt the MUSASHI, but I build her. I like sailing the YAMATOs in pair. Also it's just a badass ship.....will rip apart the slower Allied BBs if you get a chance.

That's a good start, everything else can just build normally

Great tips love your AAR's! All JFB's should follow this guy!

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 11
RE: Finally starting first turn of IJN Campaign! - 2/9/2022 2:13:20 AM   
BananaConvention

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tanaka

Welcome to another JFB! The first turn is the hardest part. Once you get through that the fun begins and turns go much smoother! Use combat reporter and tracker to make the turns even easier.

Best tip for the Japanese economy is don't over do everything. Little boosts here and there.

Is this the stock scenario?

Welcome to the club and good luck!

Thank you so much! I executed my turn 2 and it didn't go well at all. One of my transport task forces moving to the Phillipines was intercepted by two American DDs and basically shot to pieces. I lost 5 ships and they lost none. It was a big hit to my invasion plans.

I am having trouble with the tracker. I loaded my save game file but it's not showing me alerts, and I consider the alerts to be critical to me keeping track of where my stuff is. Can you help?

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Tanaka)
Post #: 12
RE: Finally starting first turn of IJN Campaign! - 2/9/2022 3:18:37 AM   
Nomad

see the tracker thread

Post #: 13
RE: Finally starting first turn of IJN Campaign! - 2/9/2022 10:42:45 AM   
jdsrae

This image shows supply and demand for MSY and NSY points for Scenario 1, if you don't change any ships in the build queue.
Every ship will build eventually, but when demand exceeds the amount of points produced per day some ships won't advance that day.
The ships will start advancing again when demand for those points drops below the amount produced per day and the point stockpile will start to grow again as the excess points are saved.

You can play the game just fine without changing the shipyards and the ship building queue, but if you want to change something there isn't a single correct answer.
You get to choose the ships to prioritise over others, but as mentioned by others already, to accelerate something you will need to balance that by selecting some ships to halt or there won't be enough points and the ships that don't build that day will be chosen for you.

If you get to 1944+, there might come a time when you choose to start shutting down some Naval or Merchant Shipyards so that they don't keep using Heavy Industry points to produce NSY and MSY points that you don't want or need to spend anymore.

Attachment (1)

Currently playing my first PBEM, no house rules Scenario 1 as IJ.
AAR link (no SolInvictus): https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4684655

(in reply to Nomad)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Finally starting first turn of IJN Campaign! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI