Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

tactics question

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> tactics question Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
tactics question - 5/23/2000 12:46:00 AM   
AStott

So, I'm playing one of the hand-crafted scenarios that came with the game. I'm germans assaulting the russians. They've got bunkers all over the place (grrr). Anyway, I'm wondering about the best method of taking out those bunkers. I've had about 6-10 tanks pounding one of those bunkers. I'll get lots of hits, but they never seem to have any effect. Any suggestions?

Post #: 1
- 5/23/2000 1:02:00 AM   
Desert Fox

Infantry/enginneer assault. Or you could just bypass the static defenses ala France 1940.

(in reply to AStott)
Post #: 2
- 5/23/2000 1:29:00 AM   
AStott

Hmmm... this may seem like a dumb question, but how do you do an assault? (I assume this is different from just firing on the target.)

(in reply to AStott)
Post #: 3
- 5/23/2000 2:02:00 AM   
Warhorse

Take an infantry, or engineer unit to the hex next to the bunker, make sure the unit is not suppressed, then click on the bunker, it should say "XX assaulting bunker using flamethrower, or satchel" this works the best with engineers, not so well with standard infantry. Hope this helps ------------------ Mike Amos Meine Ehre Heisst Treue

Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com

(in reply to AStott)
Post #: 4
- 5/23/2000 2:03:00 AM   
Larry Holt

quote:

Originally posted by AStott: Hmmm... this may seem like a dumb question, but how do you do an assault? (I assume this is different from just firing on the target.)
Just move the assaulting infantry/engineer unit adjecent or on top of the target then click on the target. You will see a message saying that it is assaulting. Note that firing on the target is important to suppress it to prevent the target from firing on your assaulting unit as it moves adjecent. Alternately, you can supress the target enough that it won't fire upon an approaching armored vehicle even though it would upon an approaching infantry/engineer (exactly where this point is is not obvious so there is some risk), move up to the target with an amored vehicle loaded with infantry/engineers, unload and assault. The added risk here is that if the assault is not successful, the target may return fire to your infantry/engineers. (Ain't life in the infantry wonderfull?) The benefit here is that it requires less suppressive fire and thus is quicker and takes less resources. If the attacking unit has too much supression (I'm not sure what the cutoff is) it will fire on the target instead of assaulting it. ------------------ An old soldier but not yet a faded one.

Never take counsel of your fears.

(in reply to AStott)
Post #: 5
- 5/23/2000 2:42:00 AM   
Paul Vebber

Always stop one hex away and wait for the next turn to move adjacent, if possible!

(in reply to AStott)
Post #: 6
- 5/23/2000 3:12:00 AM   
Larry Holt

quote:

Originally posted by Paul Vebber: Always stop one hex away and wait for the next turn to move adjacent, if possible!
I saw a quote on someone's WWW site, "A sucking chest wound is nature's way of telling you to slow down." Slow and cautious is the way to go in the long run but sometimes you just gotta jump into the breach and risk much to gain much. "Who dares wins" ------------------ An old soldier but not yet a faded one.

Never take counsel of your fears.

(in reply to AStott)
Post #: 7
- 5/23/2000 4:16:00 AM   
Wild Bill

One addition, AS... Keep pounding the pillbox or bunker as you attempt to sneak up on it. Suppression will build inside the fortification as you continue to hammer it. That allows you to creep up and kill it. The other way is to keep firing on it, firing on it until the troops inside abandon it or it is destroyed. And remember, caves can only be assaulted from the front three hexes of its facing. To attack it from the side or rear is futile. Wild Bill ------------------ Wild Bill Wilder Coordinator, Scenario Design Matrix Games

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant

(in reply to AStott)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> tactics question Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI