Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Newest thoughts on MC

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Newest thoughts on MC Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Newest thoughts on MC - 8/3/2001 9:44:00 PM   
00Dawg

On my first try with the MC, I was thoroughly enjoying myself, cruising along with mostly major victories, some minor ones, and even a draw or two, when suddenly, my load save screen wanted to bring up some battle as the Yugoslavs. I found out later that this was caused by the game suddenly getting shut off without having autosaved yet in that scenario. SPWAW likes to crash a lot on my pc, and while saving frequently is a breeze with a regular scenario, it would appear that the save feature in the MC has quite a few bugs. Thanks to the tech support board, I discovered that if this happens (sometimes the computer wants you to play Israel), hitting "quit orders" fast forwards through the scenario with a major victory. Unfortunately for me, I found this out after I'd started the MC over with the same save name, and had it happen at least three more times. Seeing how many hours I'd put in my now defunct campaign, I was little bit miffed. So, I cheated. I fast forwarded through the first ten scenarios or so, and got back to an alternate scenario I'd really wanted to play and started from there. Then, quite a bit further into the MC than even my first campaign, the game crashed again. And this time, hitting quit orders exits SPWAW altogether. Needless to say, I'm quite a bit exasparated. I have to play the first scenario over again to get to a point where I can fast forward, and I'm not sure it's worth the trouble at the moment. Conclusion: The MC may have some great features, but if the save feature isn't changed in the newest one, I don't think I'll be buying it. I realize some people don't want the ability to play a scenario over again knowing where every little surprise is, but it's not worth it to me. And, yes, sometimes when 10 different Mk-1 Cruisers have miraculously cooked half my tanks off with 10% shots while I miss with 6 straigh 85%'s or higher, I am frustrated enough to want to start over, and I want to have that option.

"You're never beaten until you admit it."-Gen. George S. Patton, Jr.
Post #: 1
- 8/3/2001 10:12:00 PM   
A_B

I agree with you on the save feature. I've been magically transported through two battles, but i got a decisive victory in both (playing as the Yugoslavs), so i just kept going, under the assumpian that i had an earache and was recovering in sunny yugoslavia, and my executive officer completed the mission without me :) As to your problem, there is a way to save the game at regular intervalse. In the SPWAW directory, in the Mega file, there is a save file. Just make a new 'megasave' file in your spwaw directory, and routinely copy the files from one folder to the next. In a practical way, this save the game as easily as a button in the game. I've been doing this at the end of most of my battles, since i had the Yugo bug. Unfortenatley, going back didn't fix that bug, so it must have been a deeper problem, and not something that just cropped up at the last second.

Unconventional war requires unconventional thought

(in reply to 00Dawg)
Post #: 2
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Newest thoughts on MC Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI