Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

When the AI becomes predictable, why not play solitaire?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Decisive Battles: Korsun Pocket >> When the AI becomes predictable, why not play solitaire? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
When the AI becomes predictable, why not play solitaire? - 10/11/2003 11:33:53 PM   
gambler

Note: When I use the term solitaire, I mean it in the traditional board game sense: The player plays both sides.

Now, I don't know how many people on this forum are traditional board wargamers. For those who are, this first bit will probably seem unnecessary, but computer gamers might not realize that most board wargames are played solitaire (if at all... 3/4 of my games aren't even punched and clipped, let alone played). This comes from a variety of reasons. Some people might not have opponents (I now do, luckily) since pretty much any look at a professional sports stadium when a game is being played (except perhaps the Montreal Expos) has more people sitting there than have a copy of a given wargame. Some people just like solitaire better for exploring the battle. They treat it as an interactive history lesson (this is why I still play solitaire).

Some games have a bit of fog of war and can still be played solitaire. For instance, in some games you can't look at any units except the top attack capable unit. In others there's an orders' system that provides uncertainty as to when orders to various formations take effect so they can act on them (much like the Airborne Assault:HttR sounds like it will do). The absolute best fog of war probably comes from the 'double blind' games where each side gets a map board and rules indicate when you can see the enemy. Often these are naval games, but a defunct company called GDW made a few land games, the best of which was probably Market Garden (the Arnhem battles). This latter method however has the disadvantage of not being playable solitaire even if it's the best FoW out there.

So what does this have to do with Korsun Pocket and other computer games? Well, I've seen some people complaining the computer is predictable after awhile (not really a complaint for some, since it's expected). I've also seen numerous cases where otherwise good games are blasted for poor AI, and not played. Now I know there's PBEM and I'll likely get involved in it once I have the system known. However, for those who really aren't into PBEM, and who have played board wargames solitaire, why not give it a shot with KP? It's basically a double blind game that's eminantly solitairable. Sure you'll remember some of the plan of attack for each side as you switch, but no more than any board game and there will be much less visible on the map than any board game that can be solitaired.

Others might say, "I paid $40-50 for this game, why should I solitaire when there's an AI. They should have made it more challenging!" (caveat, some people say it's predictable, others say it's tough... I have actually yet to play it beyond the tutorial). Well, most board wargames cost at least as much, if not up to double the price for a similarly sized product. There's no AI provided with those (except your opponent, or except in a game specifically designed for solitaire like B-17, Carrier, Phase Line Smash).

Now.. I'm being somewhat hypocritical here. You want to know how many times I've solitaired a computer game I'm sure. Here it comes.. 0. However, it's been a long time since I've played a 2D wargame on the computer and I would have done so with my old V for Victory series had I thought of this then. I plan fully to at least give the concept a shot with this game if it becomes too easy against the CPU. Might also do the same with Korsun '44 by HPS. Airborne Assault: HttR sounds like it might be even more solitairable if the AI becomes easy to defeat. In some ways though it still 'feels' wrong to me, even if I've done the reverse (I used to let the CPU play both sides in ToaW while I did something else - I do the same for sports games...). And I'm trying to figure out why.

Maybe it's because at some level I like an autonomous opponent more than a solitaire opponent. With board games I rarely play one all to the end solitaire, even though I like exploring the history and playing with the mechanics. So maybe computer games only attract those that like an opponent and so therefore if the CPU AI isn't adequate or becomes predictable, the game is then not played anymore.
Post #: 1
- 10/12/2003 4:33:35 AM   
Fred98

There aremany former board gamers here. But the best way to play this game is by PBEM.

If you play against yourself, then you know that the major attack is on the left and the attack on the right is only a feint. There is now way that FOW could hide that. FOW can only hide the exact detail.

-

(in reply to gambler)
Post #: 2
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Decisive Battles: Korsun Pocket >> When the AI becomes predictable, why not play solitaire? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI