Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

King of the Hill mortar question

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> King of the Hill mortar question Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
King of the Hill mortar question - 9/1/2001 7:04:00 AM   
John Galt

Using 6.1 and playing the King of the Hill scenario. As the US I have two 60mm mortars that haven't been able to fire a shot. I have left them stationary and also tried moving them up on foot. They are listed as artillery but they are never enabled for use. I am on turn 7 and nothing yet. Am I doing something wrong here?

Experience is the teacher that gives the test first and the lesson last.

John Galt
Post #: 1
- 9/1/2001 10:28:00 PM   
11Bravo

That was one of the first scenerios that I played, and loved it. The mortars worked fine back in version 5.3 or so... Let me try it again and see what happens.

Squatting in the bush and marking it on a map.

(in reply to John Galt)
Post #: 2
- 9/1/2001 10:40:00 PM   
11Bravo

No problem using the mortars in ver. 6.1. Direct fire, and indirect fire called by HQ and a tank both worked. Try ignoring the grayed out status indicators for HE and just assign to any hex within its range. Let us know how it worked out for you.

(in reply to John Galt)
Post #: 3
- 9/2/2001 5:25:00 AM   
robber

This, scenario has been bugging me as well since upgrading to 6.1. I don´t have a problem using my mortars, it¨'s just the problem with them being so puny now with the changes in 6.1. That damn AT-gun at the top of the hill. You pound it with mortar fire, shot at it with tanks and infantry, but you just can´t seem to spot the damned thing anymore. Now if you're unsuccessful in pinning them by indirect fire, move one AFV in its view and they toast it! What I'm saying is this, I won this scenario in the old 5.x days. Now I´m wiped out every time. See the following humiliating stats from my private AAR reports: King of the hill (6.1)
US (me) 458, German 2725
Crushing defeat
lost 132 men & 6 afvs King of the hill (6.1)
US (me) 418, German 2676
Crushing defeat
lost 144 men & 6 afvs What the hell am I doing wrong? Strategy pointers anyone? /robber

(in reply to John Galt)
Post #: 4
- 9/2/2001 5:56:00 AM   
John Galt

Thanks for the info on this one. 11bravo was right about ignoring the grayed out selection. It works anyway. Robber, I agree about 6.1 in general. I know I have much to learn, but it's discouraging when every recon team I move into the trees is instantly spotted and destroyed by any unit that happens by. Even if they've been there for a few turns. But I don't see anyone else bitching about this so I consider it a personal failing. I will struggle to do better. Thanks for all the help from this board. You guys are great. John Galt

Experience is the teacher that gives the test first and the lesson last.

John Galt

(in reply to John Galt)
Post #: 5
- 9/2/2001 6:04:00 AM   
Mai Thai

To robber: If he can't see you he can't shot you. Mortars have smoke rounds, you may try to blind this AT gun with a smoke screen while flanking it with infantry, suppress it with mortars when spotted and annihilate it. That's all.
Bye

-- occupy it, administer it, exploit it

(in reply to John Galt)
Post #: 6
- 9/2/2001 6:29:00 AM   
11Bravo

quote:

Originally posted by Mai Thai:
To robber: If he can't see you he can't shot you. Mortars have smoke rounds, you may try to blind this AT gun with a smoke screen while flanking it with infantry, suppress it with mortars when spotted and annihilate it. That's all.
Bye

60mm do not have smoke. But the tactics are correct. I was able to obscure his view with smoke rounds fired from tanks. After the first tank was killed, I had a pretty good idea where the ATG was. Instead of trying to see him with my next tanks, I started painting his LOS with smoke. Then I could get a little closer, set up some new smoke shots, and maneuver some more. Having said that, I couldn't get a DV as allied. For some much needed comic relief, play as the German side. [ September 01, 2001: Message edited by: 11Bravo ]

(in reply to John Galt)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> King of the Hill mortar question Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI