Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Strange Graphic Artifact

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Tech Support >> Strange Graphic Artifact Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Strange Graphic Artifact - 2/23/2004 10:36:03 PM   
neuromancer

I just got back into UV the other night after letting it sit for a while (I forgot that the game's off switch doesn't work, it is always making me play 'one more turn').

Anyway, I am patched up to 2.3, and I have noticing something strange. When it is going through the AI processing, a row of symbols appears in one or more parts of the screen (on the main map only), a pointer, cross hairs, and a couple more things. Its like it is grabbing the wrong graphic file for something and displays it instead of what it should - the file being a several small pictures.

It is really hard to describe. Maybe I should upload a screen capture.

Anyway, this isn't fatal by any means. When the play returns to my control, those little artifacts disappear (only to reappear in the next AI turn). Its just odd, and midly annoying (detracts from the visual appearance of the game).

I looked around on here and didn't see anything about this.

Anyone have any ideas?
Post #: 1
RE: Strange Graphic Artifact - 2/24/2004 6:47:02 AM   
DoomedMantis

I havent seen it myself, and havent seen (or remember seeing) it being mentioned before. One thing I have had was sonetimes I get missing letters (as all my t's might disappear), but to get it back I just need to exit the game and go back in. Have you tried this? If not you might have corrupted one of your graphics files when installing

I shall make it a felony to drink small beer.

- Shakespeare

(in reply to neuromancer)
Post #: 2
RE: Strange Graphic Artifact - 2/24/2004 8:02:41 PM   
neuromancer

It happens every time I play, so I don't think it is an issue that can be resuolved by restarting.

Corruption of files is another possibility however. I had been thinking of uninstalling and moving to my newer and faster hard drive anyway (my existing game is off to a real slow start so no loss here - both the AI and I are dancing around each other, our carriers haven't fought yet!)

So I'll try that. Uninstall, and do a clean install on the new drive. This install had gone the slow process of a a bunch of different upgrades, so maybe that could have caused corruption too.

Incidentally, I looked again last night. The first symbol is a pointer, the second a crosshairs, the third is an hourglass, and then the next two are blank. All in a row of little squares.

(in reply to DoomedMantis)
Post #: 3
RE: Strange Graphic Artifact - 2/25/2004 6:56:47 AM   
DoomedMantis

yes it definetely sounds like the map file has been corrupted. There is (or used to be) an updated mapfile that you could try and download rather than a full install

- Shakespeare

Post #: 4
RE: Strange Graphic Artifact - 2/25/2004 7:39:28 PM   
neuromancer

Yep, that was it. I did a full reinstall last night, and the problem is fixed.

Now instead of that thing, a little picture of a plane with a crossed out circle over it appears.

I presume those mean that planes aren't able to fly out of those locations at that time (storms, or whatever). Although I've seen CAP and transports fly from them.

Thanks!

Post #: 5
RE: Strange Graphic Artifact - 2/25/2004 8:52:51 PM   
redman1

I too have artifacts on my map, but none of them seem to affect game play in the least. Some (not all) sides of a few hexes on the board are white rather than blue in the open ocean in the upper right quadrant of the board. No ships go over there so I haven't see how - if at all - the different color affects movement.

"Never send a monster to do the work of an evil scientist!"

Post #: 6
RE: Strange Graphic Artifact - 2/26/2004 12:28:11 AM   
DoomedMantis

your correct, and CAP will fly anyway as well as transports from the base, although operational losses will be higher. Other missions will not fly from that base

quote:

ORIGINAL: neuromancer

Yep, that was it. I did a full reinstall last night, and the problem is fixed.

Now instead of that thing, a little picture of a plane with a crossed out circle over it appears.

I presume those mean that planes aren't able to fly out of those locations at that time (storms, or whatever). Although I've seen CAP and transports fly from them.

Thanks!

- Shakespeare

Post #: 7
RE: Strange Graphic Artifact - 2/27/2004 9:09:15 PM   
neuromancer

Ah, higher operational losses. That explains quite a bit.

Thanks!

Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Tech Support >> Strange Graphic Artifact Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI