Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

So Long and Thanks for all the Love

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> So Long and Thanks for all the Love Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
So Long and Thanks for all the Love - 6/13/2004 3:51:11 AM   
hellcat

Goodbye Matrix Games Forums, goodbye 8.2 (you can stick it really I don't want it, it's not worth all the nonsense and frankly this place just isn't what it once was.

I'm heading out once I get a few things from a few threads and I won't be coming back here. This place has been spoiled and ruined and it was beautiful once, really beautiful.

those of you that know me, know where to find me.

whether you know it or not MG is holding SPWAW hostage to fortune and that won't wash, it won't wash at all.

You've lost one good member, you've already had a steady stream leaving for sometime.

I wouldn't buy anything MG makes, EVER again. no sir. You just can't run a business like this - that's reality.

adios muchasos

Post #: 1
RE: So Long and Thanks for all the Love - 6/13/2004 7:15:06 AM   
BulletMagnet

another satisfied customer.....

You'll be back....maybe not till version 18.5 comes out but youll be back.

"What we do in life,echoes in eternity"

(in reply to hellcat)
Post #: 2
RE: So Long and Thanks for all the Love - 6/13/2004 8:10:27 AM   
David Heath

I do not want to see you or anyone else leave. There is no money in this for us nothing to gain. I have taken paid programmers off retail projects to make these changes and test the system. There is no great surprises here but we like to make sure this is right from the start. I did not expect these changes to be so long so you can shoot me for that.

Glenn was a little incorrect in his statement that the game will be delayed until July. I wanted Glenn feelings on delaying the game two or three weeks to add another feature if it was possible. I will not know if this feature is possible until Tuesday at the or a day or so later. I will then decide what to do and set a final release date.

Look I understand you and everyone else wants this game so please understand we are working on it.

David

(in reply to hellcat)
Post #: 3
RE: So Long and Thanks for all the Love - 6/13/2004 3:34:52 PM   
robot

Im sorry but hellcat sounds like a little kid in the back seat of a car. Are we there yet are we there yet even tho the trip only started a short time ago. Then he says im goin to leave. Like that will hurt any one. Thats like the kid who takes the bat or ball that belongs to him. Because he doesnt get what he wants in the game. I for one am tired of his whining.

I for one dont care if the new release comes out or not. It is just goin to make me start my long campaign over again for the umpteenth time.

If this offends him i dont really give a dern. Im tired of all the wrangling over this new release. Im tired of any wrangling over anything anymore. Hell im just tired of restarting all the time. Im sure the desiners are tired of tryin to upgrade there stuff.

Robots wear armor for skin.Grunts wear skin for armor.

(in reply to David Heath)
Post #: 4
RE: So Long and Thanks for all the Love - 6/13/2004 4:15:28 PM   
Orzel Bialy

Robot,

Hellcat is frustrated and disappointed over the lack of any real communication...but there is more to it than that really. What that something is I won't bring up here.

Anyway, you adding to the din of name calling serves little purpose at this point. It's not to say that you can't and shouldn't voice your opinion or support...but what does throwing gas on the fire solve? One of the biggest issues this place suffers from is the eye for an eye mentality if you ask me.

(in reply to robot)
Post #: 5
RE: So Long and Thanks for all the Love - 6/13/2004 4:17:39 PM   
m10bob

I was afraid my favorite game(Steel Panthers) was "dead and buried" because windows 3.1 was gone and so was dos (in the eyes of the newer computer companies anyway-remember you used to be able to buy a CPU with both OS's already installed??)
But then,I was in a grocery store,and there in the magazine rack was a game mag with a "free" CD,with SPWAW on it,GOOD FOR WINDOWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I took it home and have had my game "friend" returned to me..
Sure,I like all the chrome and other goodies that keep coming down the pike,but I also know not to kick the people who made it available in the first place..
The fact the game itself is a free offereing is irrelevent..They made it available when SSI and computer firms did their best to kick it to the curb..
I support the wargaming industry,(and right now that IS MatrixGames)..
Loyal Matrix fan and purchasing consumer..........................

(in reply to robot)
Post #: 6
RE: So Long and Thanks for all the Love - 6/13/2004 5:05:01 PM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

I concur with M10bob.

Windows has done a lot to make some things easier, but hmm was all the fussing over Windows ever required for any of the games you have ever played?

What exactly has Windows ever done to enhance your game?

Would we all be a lot happier bunch of gamers if Bill Gates had never been born?

I have had more trouble WITH Windows, than I have might have had WITHOUT Windows.

As I sit here thinking, what are the things Windows has improvced for me, and what are the things it has messed up.
It seems I have had more things messed up.

Fortunately Matrix Games unmessed up Steel Panthers so it would run on Windows.

Steel Panthers World at War got me using the computer for wargames.

Otherwise I would still remain exclusively a board gamer wargamer.

I LIKE that my life bothers them,
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 7
RE: So Long and Thanks for all the Love - 6/13/2004 7:41:19 PM   
Wild Bill

Hellcat! I would hate to see you go. But alas, you may already have, so this post might be worthless.

The OOB team has done its best. The length of delay has been due to the constant rechecking of the OOBs to try to make them the best yet.

So, if you are still listening, please hang around and wait for it.

The spirit of camaraderie will only continue here if those who possess it maintain themselves in the group, advocating this point of view. It can't last if those who believe in it disappear.

Hang in there, my friend,

WB

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant

(in reply to Les_the_Sarge_9_1)
Post #: 8
RE: So Long and Thanks for all the Love - 6/13/2004 7:53:00 PM   
Maciste

What I think about the releasing of 8.2 is... well, it is unreleased yet, but MG had released ALL the versions before for our amusement and joy, and for all that job done I'd be always grateful. As an old sentence of my country says: "Haz ciento y no hagas una, y será como si no hicieras ninguna" (Freely translated: "Do your best a thousand times, then don't do it once, and people will only remember the latter").

(in reply to hellcat)
Post #: 9
RE: So Long and Thanks for all the Love - 6/13/2004 7:55:28 PM   
Kristo Vaher

Wow, Sir Wild Bill.

Damn I feel such a kid in these forums, seeing the post count of above 6k...

Nevertheless hellcats behaviour seems overreacted, just give him time to cool down. It isnt moderators fault nor is it any of this forums fault. Both are associated with the 8.2 somewhat of course, but if MG screws us then MG screws us, not moderators or other people in this forum.

Even though the moderator told us that the release date would be two weeks ago, it seemed so at that time. It wasnt, sad but true. But you cant really blame the moderator for that.

This is a good place and damn how many warfare historians are here. Steel Panthers is a game for hardcore wargamers and ww2 folk, this is the holy grail for me as far as ww2 wargaming goes. Yes Blitzkrieg and Sudden Strike were fun, but they werent as close to real ww2 warfare as one can get in gaming. As for combat mission and close combat, steel panthers is still superior. The whole ww2 arsenal?

Yeah I want to see 8.2, want it very much, but apparently MG plays with it some.

Still hope itll be here before the end of the summer.

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 10
RE: So Long and Thanks for all the Love - 6/13/2004 7:57:13 PM   
Wild Bill

To that I would add, "Vale mas paloma in mano que cien volando"

Tiene razon, my colega.

Guillermo El Salvaje

(WB)

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

(in reply to Maciste)
Post #: 11
RE: So Long and Thanks for all the Love - 6/13/2004 8:03:36 PM   
Maciste

With thee as consultant, Mr. Wilder, I'd think we've got no dove on hand, but a very eagle.
God bless the day when I found that a Pc magazine brought SPWAW 5.0 for replacing my old Steel Panthers I (which couldn't run properly on my new, shining recently bought Pentium III)!

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 12
RE: So Long and Thanks for all the Love - 6/13/2004 10:45:06 PM   
Wild Bill

Well thank you, my friend. There is still a bit of hawk in these old bones

Though we all wish for the paloma of peace, in these days one must be vigilant.

Wild Bill

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

(in reply to hellcat)
Post #: 13
RE: So Long and Thanks for all the Love - 6/14/2004 1:34:28 AM   
Smeghead

Well I for one hope hellcat comes by again. I enjoy our discussions on posting, realness and fourm support. :)

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 14
RE: So Long and Thanks for all the Love - 6/14/2004 2:13:17 AM   
wodin

Hellcat I understand your frustration. But this is a free game and if you feel that MAtrix has tinkered to much with it then play the version you prefer.

Im sure you will download 8.2 when it finally arrives as if it is good as they say you will miss out.

(in reply to Smeghead)
Post #: 15
RE: So Long and Thanks for all the Love - 6/20/2004 10:14:02 AM   
Reiryc

quote:

ORIGINAL: hellcat

Goodbye Matrix Games Forums, goodbye 8.2 (you can stick it really I don't want it, it's not worth all the nonsense and frankly this place just isn't what it once was.

I'm heading out once I get a few things from a few threads and I won't be coming back here. This place has been spoiled and ruined and it was beautiful once, really beautiful.

whether you know it or not MG is holding SPWAW hostage to fortune and that won't wash, it won't wash at all.

You've lost one good member, you've already had a steady stream leaving for sometime.

I wouldn't buy anything MG makes, EVER again. no sir. You just can't run a business like this - that's reality.

adios muchasos

Well I'd like to say that you'll be missed, but well, that wouldn't quite be truthful....

(in reply to hellcat)
Post #: 16
RE: So Long and Thanks for all the Love - 6/21/2004 12:11:11 AM   
Svennemir

So long and thanks for all the fish.

(in reply to Reiryc)
Post #: 17
RE: So Long and Thanks for all the Love - 6/21/2004 12:44:41 AM   
Von Rom

For many years and through many versions, Matrix has supported, improved, and made available, the complete SPWaW game as a FREE download. . .

Despite the many, many hours of hard work that went into improving the game, and the cost of bandwidth to allow it to be downloaded, Matrix never asked for a single penny in return. . .

Even today, despite all the games they are currently working on, they still are willing to work on, and improve, this FREE game.

When has a company EVER provided support for a game like this? When?

Surely, there is still a great deal to enjoy in SPWaW v8.0, while we wait for v8.2 to appear?

Surely, there are many more games that can occupy our time while we are waiting?

Did I mention that SPWaW is a FREE game?

(in reply to Svennemir)
Post #: 18
RE: So Long and Thanks for all the Love - 6/21/2004 7:13:43 PM   
DzrtFox

I would never complain over the release timeframe of a free game, however....

I have seen time and time again "8.2 will be released by this date" then the date comes and goes with no explanation. How many times has it been said "the game is done we are just making sure the downloader isn't broken". Then it's "the downloader is broken, we are fixing it." Then it goes from that to "we're looking into adding another feature which could delay it another 2-3 weeks".

It's just the lack of consistency that is frustrating. I'm not going to complain considering 8.2 is free, but I can understand the frustration since I feel it myself and I'm still a n00b around these parts...

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 19
RE: So Long and Thanks for all the Love - 6/21/2004 9:51:15 PM   
Steve Wilcox

I noticed something humorous the other day. In the OOB Changes pdf that came with v8.01, it stated "Final fix upcoming soon." The funny part is the date at the top: 9 December 2004. Perhaps a Freudian slip?

Edit: Of course I used the word "the" twice in a row while making fun of their typo... argh.

< Message edited by Steve Wilcox -- 6/22/2004 6:48:44 AM >

(in reply to DzrtFox)
Post #: 20
RE: So Long and Thanks for all the Love - 6/28/2004 5:34:23 AM   
Randy

I'm sorry to see anyone leave this forum/game. I have been a supporter of Matrix and SPWAW since near the beginning, and I honestly believe that the folks at Matrix have been working on the these games for the love of the game. Remember that for the most part SPWAW has mostly been a free download game. They have relied alot on player input, and have tried all they can to make us all happy. So from my point of view, keep up the good work Matrix!

Semper Fi
Randy

The United States Marines: America's 911 Force-The Tip of the Spear

(in reply to Steve Wilcox)
Post #: 21
RE: So Long and Thanks for all the Love - 6/28/2004 2:25:06 PM   
Warrior2

quote:

ORIGINAL: hellcat

adios muchasos

Personally, I think you're totally wrong.

(in reply to hellcat)
Post #: 22
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> So Long and Thanks for all the Love Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI