Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Bunch of Questions

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Bunch of Questions Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Bunch of Questions - 9/18/2001 3:43:00 AM   
FunkyMonkey

I apologize for these questions seem random. 1. The Panzer II I think the one avaible at the start of the German campaign is armed with like a 20mm anti-tank gun. When you fire it, it comes out like as if it was launching bunch of small grenades at the same time. Could someone explain why? 2. I read somewhere about German half-tracks being armed with anti-tank machine guns. I have heard that there were anti-tank rifles but not machine guns. Does it work in the same way and what kind of penetrating power did it have? 3. When I purchase my infantry units and place them on the map, they have different number of soldiers despite being the same type of unit. Is this an error? 4. Did any women serve in the German military at the closing days of the war? I know that Hitler held sexist views, but if he was desperate enough to use children, I don't see why he didn't use full grown women.

Post #: 1
- 9/18/2001 5:32:00 AM   
Grimm

Here's my shot - 1. The graphics are supposed to represent the high rate of fire of these light cannon. Any 20mm gun you fire will use similar graphics. 2. There are several variants of the 251 that have various anti-tank guns mounted. The most common in the game seems to be the 251/10 with a 37mm gun. I am not aware of any anti-tank machine gun that the Germans may have used. 3. There is an option in the preferences screen for reduced squads. This is supposed to represent some of the uncertainties of war. Turn it off and you will always get full squads. 4. I don't think the Germans used women in their ranks. Maybe some isolated instances in the last month or two of the war. As far as I know, only the Russians regularily used women in combat units during WW2. I know they had some air units and armor units manned (personed?) by women. I'm sure somebody out there has better answers than me.

Its what you do
and not what you say
If you're not part of the future
then get out of the way

(in reply to FunkyMonkey)
Post #: 2
- 9/18/2001 5:39:00 AM   
BryanMelvin

Some answes in cap below questions--
quote:

Originally posted by FunkyMonkey:
I apologize for these questions seem random. 1. The Panzer II I think the one avaible at the start of the German campaign is armed with like a 20mm anti-tank gun. When you fire it, it comes out like as if it was launching bunch of small grenades at the same time. Could someone explain why? tHE 20MM CANNON FIRED MANY ROUNDS PER MINUTE -- I THINK IT WAS BELT FED FROM AN AMMO CAN SO THAT IT FIRED FASTER. THAT IS WHY IT SHOOTS IN GAME AS IT DOES. 2. I read somewhere about German half-tracks being armed with anti-tank machine guns. I have heard that there were anti-tank rifles but not machine guns. Does it work in the same way and what kind of penetrating power did it have? SOME WERE -- TO FIX THIS -- GO INTO EDITOR AND ADD AP ROUNDS FOR mgs ON HT'S 3. When I purchase my infantry units and place them on the map, they have different number of soldiers despite being the same type of unit. Is this an error? YOU MUST HAVE REDUCED SQUADS ON IN THE OERFERENCE MENU. TO FIX THIS -- TURN IT OFF. 4. Did any women serve in the German military at the closing days of the war? I know that Hitler held sexist views, but if he was desperate enough to use children, I don't see why he didn't use full grown women.
DO NOT KNOW THE ANSWER TO THIS ONE..
HOPE THIS HELPS

Post #: 3
- 9/18/2001 6:17:00 AM   
AbsntMndedProf

Funky Monkey posted:
4. Did any women serve in the German military at the closing days of the war? I know that Hitler held sexist views, but if he was desperate enough to use children, I don't see why he didn't use full grown women.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Here is a quote from the book "The Germans" by Gordon A. Craig, published by G. P. Putnam's Sons on NY, NY, in 1982 regarding women in the Third Reich during WW II: ". . .it is not unlikely that the Nazis' ideological and biological prejudices about the role of women in society hastened their defeat in the war. Albert Speer, Hitler's minister of armaments and munitions from 1942 to 1945, repeatedly urged the total mobilization of women for war production on the ground that they would be better workers than foreign laborers. In April 1943, his pleas encountered the sharp opposition of Fritz Sauckel, the commissioner of manpower, who persuaded Hitler that factory work would inflict physical and moral harm upon German women and damage their psychic and emotional life and possibly their potential as mothers. Later in that year, when Speer returned to the charge, the Gauleiter protested to Hitler in a body, and the request was once more denied. According to Speer's calculations, the mobilization of 5 million women who were capable of war service but wedre performing none would have released 3 million male workers for military service. Such an accretion of strength might have altered the result in Africa or at Stalingrad, although it is doubtful that it would have prevented the ultimate defeat and collapse of the Nazi war effort." PP. 165-166 Eric Maietta

Post #: 4
- 9/18/2001 7:49:00 AM   
Alexandra

I'll just answer question 4. Yes, the Germans did, though only towards the end of the war, in AA Flak units in the big cities. It's estimated that no more than 100,000 women served in such roles, though it was probably much less. As for the Soviets, it's known that at least 1,000,000 women served, across the board, in all units, including infantry. There were very few all female units, except in aviation, and those that there were tended not to work well - again, except in aviation, but the Soviet's did utilize anyone who wanted to fight. On a side note, I've never found any references to the Soviet's drafting women - which means that all 1,000,000+ were, probably,. volunteers. Also, the numbers estimate does not include partisans. Alex

"Tonight a dynasty is born." Ricky Proehl, then of the Saint Louis Rams. He was right! Go Pats! Winners of Super Bowls 36, 38 and 39.

Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Bunch of Questions Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI