Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Experience

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Training Center >> Experience Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Experience - 3/16/2004 10:35:55 PM   
Warmonger

Can someone PLEASE give me the REAL scoop on what factors increase experience of your units during a SP:WAW WWII campaign? I have heard many conflicting things. I have heard that kills do not affect it much, I have heard that kills are the biggest factor. I have heard that being fired upon is the key. And I have heard that the only factor is the number of battles the unit has fought in without being destroyed...What's the real deal?

WarMonger
Post #: 1
RE: Experience - 3/17/2004 1:41:00 AM   
rbrunsman

Not being killed has nothing to do with in, IME. Kills has something to do with it, but indirectly. You will find that units that are "in the thick of it" will advance faster than others. So, basically, shooting and being shot at is what gets you experience.

This is from my experience with MCLV where you get attached to you units much more than in a Long Campaign. My infantry advanced faster than my MGs, which advanced faster than my IG and AAA, which advanced faster than my trucks, and on down the line. Killed units don't seem to suffer much. I lost an elite Stug with almost 100 kills and the only ill effects he suffered in the next battle was that his kill total started counting all over again.

Everyone is a potential [PBEM] enemy, every place a potential [PBEM] battlefield. --Zensunni Wisdom

(in reply to Warmonger)
Post #: 2
RE: Experience - 3/17/2004 2:45:09 PM   
Gvaihir

The more you're in combat the faster you progress, that is a fact...

Also, when you loose a AFV or APC notice that in the next battle the morale is really down - say from 90 or so to 50

The good thing is that the exp stays... phew

Gvaihir

Death of many is a tragedy, death of millions is a statistic... - Stalin

(in reply to rbrunsman)
Post #: 3
RE: Experience - 3/17/2004 6:27:11 PM   
Sturmpionier

Unit experience builds through:

<for sure> 1) Firing the unit's weapons directly at the enemy. Indirect fire does little, or almost nothing, to help you build exp. This is why your arty assets build up exp so slowly. They fire mostly indirectly. Example - my 105's at the end of the war are still stuck in the 90's exp-wise, whereas my 88's are up to 120 or so.

<for sure> 2) Getting shot at. This will do it too.

<pretty sure> 3) Firing indirectly. This might be the cause for some units to improve their exp, or it might just be from the next one...

<not sure> 4) Being on the battlefield. Sometimes my units' exp goes up for inexplicable reasons. It may be that just being there can give a boost to unit exp. Maybe not.

The best way to go with that is to dl Campaign Watcher. Keep an eye on the exp column and you will see which units go up and you will probably be able to explain why.

< Message edited by Sturmpionier -- 3/17/2004 11:28:14 AM >

"Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun." - Ash

(in reply to Gvaihir)
Post #: 4
RE: Experience - 3/17/2004 8:24:45 PM   
Poopyhead

Two days ago, my A0 gained two experience points (out of a possible three) by "Z" firing into an empty hex for half of the battle. A0 was not fired on, never made contact with the enemy nor did he do anything else that would account for the experience points. Sooo...I am going to send the rest of my slow learners (forward observers, etc.) to the "pistol range" and see if they can become elite more rapidly.

Astrologers believe that your future is determined on the day that you are born.
Warriors know that your future is determined on the day that your enemy dies.

(in reply to Sturmpionier)
Post #: 5
RE: Experience - 3/17/2004 8:54:58 PM   
VikingNo2

Poopyhead, cool name, still laughing, welcome aboad

(in reply to Poopyhead)
Post #: 6
RE: Experience - 3/17/2004 9:02:35 PM   
Sturmpionier

quote:

ORIGINAL: Poopyhead

Two days ago, my A0 gained two experience points (out of a possible three) by "Z" firing into an empty hex for half of the battle. A0 was not fired on, never made contact with the enemy nor did he do anything else that would account for the experience points. Sooo...I am going to send the rest of my slow learners (forward observers, etc.) to the "pistol range" and see if they can become elite more rapidly.

That explains that one. I have never had the patience for such a test. Does not, however, explain why my arty is so slow in gaining exp. I have a guess though. I usually plot them and have them fire indirect during the other turn. "Z" firing may be treated as a 'direct' form of 'indirect' fire. Or, it may be that arty gains little exp as a class. Anyone else have a thought on this?

"Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun." - Ash

(in reply to Poopyhead)
Post #: 7
RE: Experience - 3/17/2004 10:45:17 PM   
Poopyhead

It might be advisable in the last turns of a battle that has been decided in your favor to have arty crews "bail out" and shoot jack rabbits until the fat lady sings. They may get some cheap experience points this way. I haven't tried this yet.

(in reply to Sturmpionier)
Post #: 8
RE: Experience - 3/17/2004 11:21:15 PM   
rbrunsman

I wish my damn Boeb FO unit in MCLV would wake up and smell the coffee. His arty skill hasn't improved at all in the campaign and he's just not good at calling arty even though he's elite (experience-wise).

Everyone is a potential [PBEM] enemy, every place a potential [PBEM] battlefield. --Zensunni Wisdom

(in reply to Poopyhead)
Post #: 9
RE: Experience - 3/18/2004 1:53:24 PM   
Warrior2

quote:

ORIGINAL: Warmonger

Can someone PLEASE give me the REAL scoop on what factors increase experience of your units during a SP:WAW WWII campaign? I have heard many conflicting things. I have heard that kills do not affect it much, I have heard that kills are the biggest factor. I have heard that being fired upon is the key. And I have heard that the only factor is the number of battles the unit has fought in without being destroyed...What's the real deal?

WarMonger

If we told you the REAL scoop, we'd have to kill you.

(in reply to Warmonger)
Post #: 10
RE: Experience - 3/18/2004 3:14:20 PM   
Jim1954

Bob, Send me a zip file of that MCLV save and I'll fix it for you. ; ). What do you want , about an 85?
quote:

ORIGINAL: rbrunsman

I wish my damn Boeb FO unit in MCLV would wake up and smell the coffee. His arty skill hasn't improved at all in the campaign and he's just not good at calling arty even though he's elite (experience-wise).

Jim1954
KMC/T

(in reply to rbrunsman)
Post #: 11
RE: Experience - 3/18/2004 6:06:43 PM   
rbrunsman

Thanks Jim! Sounds good.

(in reply to Jim1954)
Post #: 12
RE: Experience - 3/18/2004 6:57:14 PM   
Poopyhead

Of course, the best way to get a high experience score is to start with a good experience score. In campaign games, I usually buy lots of +10 exp units like snipers, armored cars and FO's and upgrade them to infantry squads, tanks and artillery. A side benefit is that I can pick from a dozen or so units for an FO with 90+ experience. Those FO's in the 80's become mortat crews and the lowest become Flak/AT gunners.

RB, I had an FO team that became useless after I upgraded it to a beobachtung unit. He was still experienced, but it was as though he had changed from artillery to armor for skill checks.

(in reply to rbrunsman)
Post #: 13
RE: Experience - 3/23/2004 4:52:24 PM   
Poopyhead

Sorry for the double post, but I did some research over the weekend.

In one battle, half of the 34 FO teams who "Z" fired all of their ammo got zero experience points and the rest got one experience point (two got two points). However, I also had 34 wagons that did absolutely nothing, I did not even move them, and they also got experience in the same ratio (half got nothing and half got one point with a couple getting two points).

I think that the lesson is to start with experienced crews. When I upgrade a sniper to an engineer squad I lose 5 points of experience, but I started with an extra ten. The five point net gain would otherwise take about nine battles to get. This way most of my units start as veterans and they make elite quicker.

(in reply to Poopyhead)
Post #: 14
RE: Experience - 3/23/2004 7:37:16 PM   
VikingNo2

Just a sugestion, why not let units fight to gain experience instead of trying to figure out a way for them to get experience they don't earn

Just my opinion

(in reply to Poopyhead)
Post #: 15
RE: Experience - 3/23/2004 8:38:20 PM   
rbrunsman

Quite right, V2.

When I played long campaigns, I never bought SS, or veteran units because half the fun is "growing" them. Besides, once your units get too experienced, the AI has no chance to beat you and it gets rather boring.

Campaigns should be used as training exercises. Knowing what "regulars" can and can't do is VERY important.

Of course, if you aren't playing for any other reason than to kick the AI's ass, then by all means keep using veteran units. However, if you ever aspire to being a good PBEM player, you better get used to using tactics to win, not overwhelmingly powerful units. In an even match, you're going to have your ass handed to you.

Poopyhead, you didn't actually mean "34" FO units did you?

(in reply to VikingNo2)
Post #: 16
RE: Experience - 3/23/2004 8:57:31 PM   
Poopyhead

I did mention that it was research (I thought my name explained everything).

Agreed, fighting is what it is all about. A leader should be able to take his'n and beat your", then take your'n and beat his'n. However, a good leader must be a river to his soldiers and I want my boys to have every advantage I can think up. As Admiral Kirk said, "I don't like losing."

(in reply to rbrunsman)
Post #: 17
RE: Experience - 3/23/2004 11:22:24 PM   
rbrunsman

Aye, Aye Cap'n Poopyhead, Sir!!!

Go forth and crush thine enemy!

(in reply to Poopyhead)
Post #: 18
RE: Experience - 3/24/2004 12:15:06 AM   
VikingNo2

yeah and Kirk got the hot alien chicks

(in reply to rbrunsman)
Post #: 19
RE: Experience - 3/24/2004 5:53:44 PM   
Charles2222

quote:

ORIGINAL: rbrunsman

Quite right, V2.

When I played long campaigns, I never bought SS, or veteran units because half the fun is "growing" them. Besides, once your units get too experienced, the AI has no chance to beat you and it gets rather boring.

Campaigns should be used as training exercises. Knowing what "regulars" can and can't do is VERY important.

Of course, if you aren't playing for any other reason than to kick the AI's ass, then by all means keep using veteran units. However, if you ever aspire to being a good PBEM player, you better get used to using tactics to win, not overwhelmingly powerful units. In an even match, you're going to have your ass handed to you.

Poopyhead, you didn't actually mean "34" FO units did you?

I've found that having one elite platoon of infantry for whatever nation you're playing at the time is a blast. If things are going rotten, and the ol' en masse is getting too heavy in may ways, then it's really fascinating to see how these guys will often fight beyond their means. I've got into the habit, with SPWW2 anyway, of having one elite infantry squad, one sorry militia type squad, and then a few of the regulars. That way in one campaign I get to see the regular, the best, and the worst perform.

(in reply to rbrunsman)
Post #: 20
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Training Center >> Experience Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI