Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

"Watchword Freedom" questions

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> "Watchword Freedom" questions Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
"Watchword Freedom" questions - 10/1/2001 3:45:00 AM   
Pantherblaster

HI everyone, I've been playing Steel Panthers for years now and I particularly like playing campaigns. Played all of them in the original version in the 90's and played "From Utah to the Rhine", "Rommel at Arras - the hard version" (or something like that), "Guadalcanal", the US Army camapaign in north africa, etc.
I never really had a problem, everything has pretty much always gone smoothy, meaning DV's, MV's occassionally a draw and very rarely a MD. I have only once had a DV.
That became twice when playing the "Watchword Freedom" camapign. Damn!!! that is the toughest campaign I think I've ever played!!!
I usually start a campaign with mostly the cheapest stuff I can get my hands on and which still could make a difference, then I add a small "core" of the best units I can get my hands on. During the campaign I then replace the weakest units with the strongest units. I than in the end usually have a large force with the best equipment around as well as being almosty all-veteran too.
However, in "Watchword Freedom" I think this strategy doesn't work. Am I wright about this? I think a larger "core" of tough units must be needed to win this campaign succesfully, is this correct?
Damn really nasty this one, what's your pick on this? Any other tough campaigns around? Are the Mega-Campaigns worth the buy? I mean are they challenging enough (as most people should be able to finish it)? Can you change a difficulty setting or something like that? Regards, Pantherblaster

"War is the continuation of politics by all other means"-Vom Kriege, Carl von Clausewitz.
Post #: 1
- 10/1/2001 4:23:00 AM   
Rune Iversen

Yes, Watchword Freedom is a tough campaign, just like it should be Historically, the german forces barely succeded in establishing a link into the pocket, and in most places the surrounded german troops had to charge through the russians in order to establish a linkup. I played this campaign with a core force consisting of two Tiger platoons and a platoon of Panthers supported by a company of infantry and a platoon of engineers (both on foot) and an FO. It is true that you will need quality over quantity in this campaign, since the russians will outnumber you no matter what, you might as well get some of those Tigers (they are Greeaaat). I solved the problem of infantry mobility by euther purchasing trucks as AUX units, or letting them ride on the tanks, accepting the fact that they will lose a couple of men in order to "fit". Concentrate your forces.
With Tigers in the van, and Panthers just behind or on the flanks, you have the firepower and toughness to butt straight through the soviet defence. Coupled with a barrage of OB arty you will be able to press your tanks trough, and mob up with the infantry (that is my experince at least). By concentrating, you also force the russian armor to come to you, effectively giving you an edge, since the AI will charge the soviet tanks in as they arrive a platoon at a time. Remember use artillery and smoke to blind known infantry and AT postions, attack where you must in order to grab VH, concentrate your high quality force on one or two VH at a time, and force the soviet armor to react piecemeal to your determined hammerblows. And if nothing else works, throw a tantrum, bash your head against the monitor, stand up, make some coffee, kiss your girlfriend/dog, wait for half an hour and then give it another go Remember above all: Never surrender
The men of gruppe "Stemmermann" inside the pocket is counting upon YOU.

Ignoring the wulfir
Fighting the EUnuchs from within

(in reply to Pantherblaster)
Post #: 2
- 10/1/2001 9:38:00 PM   
Wild Bill

Of all the campaigns I have worked on, I found in my own personal play, even after designing it, that it is indeed TOUGH! Vejgaard is right on target in my opinion. His choice of forces is good. I also got a little infantry mix, mainly engineers for close in work and protecting my tanks from those crazy Russian tank killers. They are fanatical. If you can survive the first battle (very savage - bad terrain ((mud, etc), lack of experience and fanatical Russians) and get some experience for your tank crews, it does get just a little better, but only "a little." There is no easy win, and that was done on purpose. Here is desperation, heroism and a little bit of the fortune of war...all must come into play or your goose is cooked. I hope you do enjoy it, Pantherblaster! Wild Bill

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant

Post #: 3
- 10/2/2001 1:05:00 AM   
Svenni

This campaign is tough. My favorite - get to play with Tigers, nothing else vill do!
Even if use of paratroopers is in this case ahistorical I found good use for them. Dropping them behind enemy lines and let them reach and defend the objectives while the tanks blast through is a risky strategy but if the paras are dropped on the right places and little bit of luck they can hold. It might not be fair to tell where to drop them. Its easy enough to find out. Wrong place - they are oblitterated right away, right place - they do better. Just save the deployment before starting. Dont forget artillery.
Regards
Svenni

"Jakki er ekki frakki nema síður sé"

Post #: 4
- 10/2/2001 4:09:00 AM   
Pantherblaster

I want to thank all of you for your tips and hints! Yes Bill, I do enjoy playing this campaign as it makes me reconsider some of my succesful campaign strategies as they don't seem to apply here, which I think is a good thing, thinking keeps you sharp. The first time I played this camopaign I got the following results scen1: draw, scen2: DV, scen3: DD. Especially the third was extremely frustrating I must admit. Both of my mine sweepers immobilized on the first turn, other vehicles following fast. Then on turn three I faced some SU engineer squads, bloodyhell I don't think I've ever cursed that much, EVER!!!!! I threw some combined arms troops at them, they all got destroyed on the SU turn without suffering one casualty, then I send 3 Tigers, 2 APC's, 1 MG-42, 3 Rifle squads and 2 reckon Teams at them, in the following two turns I managed to get exactly 1 casualty while I lost 2 out of three Tigers, both APC's, both reckon teams
and had the rest except one rifle squad routed. From that moment I changed my objective from "capturing the VH's" to "KILL THAT BLOODY ENGINEER SQUAD, RAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!". And in the end ...... His squad pretty much won. I tried to take a more southern bypass in the city but faced two more of those squads, resulting in less dramatic but still much to high losses. I have never had such an "experience" before. After this battle I started the campaign again and before the battle started posted this thread. This time I'll 2 more Tigers (8 in total), 2 PZ-IV's (as well as already having 2 Panther A's), but 8 less Marder-III's and less APC's (replaced by trucks) and less reckon teams. Let's see how it will go now. Again thanks, Regards, Pantherblaster

"War is the continuation of politics by all other means"-Vom Kriege, Carl von Clausewitz.

Post #: 5
- 10/2/2001 11:55:00 AM   
Wild Bill

You've done well, PB! The third battle, toe to toe fighting in the trenches is hell. It reminds me of one of the battles I did in the Black Beret SP3 Campaign (AI-68 War). Same sort of situation. It becomes one that you sort of fixate on, to beat it, and it can be done. It is one, however, that sticks in your mind. Good hunting on the East Front. Wild Bill

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant

Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> "Watchword Freedom" questions Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI