Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Steel Panthers: Century of War?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Training Center >> Steel Panthers: Century of War? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Steel Panthers: Century of War? - 3/16/2004 7:54:27 PM   
dthompson

As much as I love SP-WAW in its present form, I can't help wishing for more--particularly a major new edition to do for the old SP2 (post-WW2) what SP-WAW has done for SP1. Actually, what I would most love to see would be a "Steel Panthers: Century of War" back at platoon scale (as in SP3), with units, orders of battle, countries, and dates covering the whole gamut from World War I through the present/near-future. Even if the units stayed at squad/single-vehicle, it seems to me that the map scale really needs to be 250m/hex for post-WW2 combat, given the great increases in accuracy, lethality, and engagement ranges for guns with laser RF's, ATGM's, etc.

Could Wild Bill or any other insiders from the hard-working design & upgrade teams share any hints about what we might hope for in the future? I remember several years ago there was some reference to a SP: Vietnam project which apparently never got off the ground.

Hmmm ... while I'm in brainstorming mode, here's an even more grandiose vision: how about the above-suggested "SP: Century of War" linked together with a larger-scale game such as "The Operational Art of War"? The SP system could be nested inside the other, with the operational game automatically generating scenario parameters passed to the SP system, and SP battle results passing back to the operational game to proceed from there. (I know, it's easy to think big when somebody else has to do the actual programming!)

Dave Thompson
Post #: 1
RE: Steel Panthers: Century of War? - 3/16/2004 8:18:07 PM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

A game that can be both Operational Art of War, as well as Steel Panthers is naturally appealing to some.

Trouble is, the software Steel Panthers is built on is just to old to go much further with it.

We could make Mega Campaigns for it till hell freezes over, but then we would not be re inventing the game, so that is not a barrier.

Getting outside of WW2 though has been a wish of many. But the software just won't allow it (which is precisely why it has not happened sooner).

I would be happy just seeing SP3 made more willing to cooperate with modern OSs and just leave the game as such, but again, the problem of old software returns.

In a nutshell, all the bugs the hassles the limitations will be removed with the release of Combat Leader. We just need to hang in there basically.

I LIKE that my life bothers them,
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.

(in reply to dthompson)
Post #: 2
RE: Steel Panthers: Century of War? - 3/17/2004 5:25:58 PM   
Alexandra

I would think that the other problem with this idea is a simple one: what to simulate?

The Chinese Civil War, Korea, and the various African and other third world civil wars can be done with SP: Waw.

Any theoretical NATO-Warsaw Pact game will be just as biased towards the West as all the ones done in the past, so what's the point?

Vietnam and Afghanistan aren't viable, as it's close to impossible to actually computer simulate a guerilla war.

Post Cold War would be boring - unless, of course, you included more than military aspects to the game, but, how many Americans would buy a game that might accurate simulate how many civilians we've killed since 1990.

The Arab-Israeli wars could be done, but, really, unless the Israeli player is very very good, given the number crunching way War Games must operate, the Arabs will win most of the time - which is a flaw is any war game where you are trying to simulate a massive numerical edge for one side. It's very hard to do.

So, what do you have left? About the only conflict that might be able to be done, and that could be interesting to game out are the India-Pakisitan wars, and how big of a market do you have for them?

IMO, it's not worth the money, effort, and time such a project would take.

Alex

"Tonight a dynasty is born." Ricky Proehl, then of the Saint Louis Rams. He was right! Go Pats! Winners of Super Bowls 36, 38 and 39.

(in reply to Les_the_Sarge_9_1)
Post #: 3
RE: Steel Panthers: Century of War? - 3/17/2004 5:58:52 PM   
Jim1954

Dave, Have you checked out SPMBT?

http://linetap.com/www/drg/SPCamo-4.htm

quote:

ORIGINAL: dthompson

As much as I love SP-WAW in its present form, I can't help wishing for more--particularly a major new edition to do for the old SP2 (post-WW2) what SP-WAW has done for SP1. Actually, what I would most love to see would be a "Steel Panthers: Century of War" back at platoon scale (as in SP3), with units, orders of battle, countries, and dates covering the whole gamut from World War I through the present/near-future. Even if the units stayed at squad/single-vehicle, it seems to me that the map scale really needs to be 250m/hex for post-WW2 combat, given the great increases in accuracy, lethality, and engagement ranges for guns with laser RF's, ATGM's, etc.

Could Wild Bill or any other insiders from the hard-working design & upgrade teams share any hints about what we might hope for in the future? I remember several years ago there was some reference to a SP: Vietnam project which apparently never got off the ground.

Hmmm ... while I'm in brainstorming mode, here's an even more grandiose vision: how about the above-suggested "SP: Century of War" linked together with a larger-scale game such as "The Operational Art of War"? The SP system could be nested inside the other, with the operational game automatically generating scenario parameters passed to the SP system, and SP battle results passing back to the operational game to proceed from there. (I know, it's easy to think big when somebody else has to do the actual programming!)

Jim1954
KMC/T

(in reply to dthompson)
Post #: 4
RE: Steel Panthers: Century of War? - 3/17/2004 6:23:09 PM   
mattenhoff

Well, talking about daydreaming, why not have an engine with no limitations?

I'd just love to have those 10 000 Swedish musketeers lined in rows...

or captain Zork's UFO -platoon to fire it's Plasma cannons

Hmm. Maybe it gets worse, when it gets broader... Anyone remembers "Universal military simulator" in the early 90's? It tried to be an allaround strategic game and wasn't really very playable, IMO

(in reply to Jim1954)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Training Center >> Steel Panthers: Century of War? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI