Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

MCSE: Questions, glitch?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Mega-Campaigns for SP:WaW >> MCSE: Questions, glitch? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
MCSE: Questions, glitch? - 2/27/2004 11:02:43 AM   
Jim Mac

First of all I'm brand new to SPWAW. I'm truly impressed by the work that has gone into this.

Anyways, playing MCSE I've run into a glitch where the game won't load and flashes oobs across the screen. I've seen this mentioned here but no solution. (And how exactly do I make a backup save? I've been through Normandy so many times I feel like a seasonal grape picker.)

And...my captain was KIA'd and yet was there for the next scenario. On another occassion he was wounded and didn't return (the game crashed before the next campaign--I'm assumming he would've returned then?)

I've noticed in two scenarios scheduled reinforcements never showed up--w/ dismay I might add. Is this written into the story? (It was one of the Dead Man's Corner battles and the one where Col. Sink's CP is going to be overrun. Both 506. Actually managed to get through both but I kept looking for the "cavalry".)

Lastly, I'm a bit bewildered by the scoring. I've, in certain scenarios, captured all the flags but still only got a draw. Are casualties factored in? If you don't take out all the bunkers or troops does it count against you? So much to grasp!

All in all I'm thoroughly enjoying the game but am a bit frustrated having twice gotten through--or nearly--Normandy only to have to start again because it won't load. (I am running v8.01).

Cheers

< Message edited by Jim Mac -- 2/27/2004 9:10:09 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: MCSE: Questions, glitch? - 2/27/2004 10:59:53 PM   
Jim1954

The OOB flashes sound like a corrupt save file.

You should get a new A0 next battle.

Look at the arrival turn listed for the reinforcements. If it's listed as turn 20 and the battle only lasts 12 turns, then the designer set it up that way. This is not unusual in this MC.

Scoring can be a little hard to understand sometimes. Hover your mouse over the VH and read the info that pops up. Sometimes VH's will score points on a per turn basis. If you see these, it's best to try to finish the battle before you quit because the computer will not "remember" the points accumulated before the quit. This is just a MC bug we have to live with. Also the points ratio is what determines what level of victory or defeat you get. As I remember it, against the AI anything less than a 3-1 ratio in points will give you a draw, over 3-1 but less than 7-1 will give you a marginal and 7-1 and up is a decisive. The enemy won't get points for bunkers left alive, but you won't get points if you don't destroy them. They are usually not worth the cost in casualties to destroy unless they are sitting on a VH or severly inhibit your progress towards same.

It takes a bit of practice to absorb all that is in this little gem. Take your time, the ride is half the fun.

Jim1954
KMC/T

(in reply to Jim Mac)
Post #: 2
RE: MCSE: Questions, glitch? - 2/27/2004 11:25:36 PM   
Goblin

I thought a decisive was 6 to one.

Goblin

(in reply to Jim1954)
Post #: 3
RE: MCSE: Questions, glitch? - 2/28/2004 3:37:46 AM   
Jim1954

I can never remember which is for vs. AI and vs. human. It might be 6-1.

Jim1954
KMC/T

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 4
RE: MCSE: Questions, glitch? - 2/28/2004 8:46:30 PM   
Jim Mac

Thanks for the info. I'm slowly getting a feel for the game. Now that I know how to back it up it wil be a lot less frustrating if it crashes.

(in reply to Jim Mac)
Post #: 5
RE: MCSE: Questions, glitch? - 3/4/2004 1:36:33 AM   
lexxan

Same problem of you, Jim. Have you found a solution for the corrupded (?) save files? Are you using SPWAW 8.0 or 8.1? Does it happen randomly between 2 scenarios also to you?

(in reply to Jim Mac)
Post #: 6
RE: MCSE: Questions, glitch? - 3/19/2004 1:48:57 AM   
Wild Bill

Mega Campaigns were designed with only 1 save actually possible in spite of the apparent listing of more than one. More than one can be saved but it can create problems.

My personal solution is to save with an appropriate title, then move it to another folder. It is more time consuming but usually works in case of these sudden crashes.

I'm sorry that those do occur. They have become minimal but it only takes one to spoil your day!

Points are determined in various ways in each scenario. As Jim 1954 states, some are points per turn. Those you grab quick and hold on to as long as possible. This forces you to be quite aggressive and not hold back till the last turn to take them.

Heavy, heavy losses will hurt your score. As in the real thing, you can be so decimated that even though you take your objectives you really don't have much of a cohesive fighting force left for what is ahead.

Yes, it takes time to get a feel for it, Jim but I think you'll congratulate yourself as you learn and improve.

The 327th thread is perhaps the easiest, but even it ain't easy!

WB
WB

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant

(in reply to Jim Mac)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Mega-Campaigns for SP:WaW >> MCSE: Questions, glitch? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI