Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Long campaign up to the 1940s

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Long campaign up to the 1940s Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Long campaign up to the 1940s - 3/21/2004 5:37:53 PM   
robot

I have got the Germans up to about june 1940 both east and western camapigns. The next battle the Japs have is i believe September 1940 against the Chinese. They had 3 battles so far against the Russians in 1939 and early 40s. I have the russians next battle as June 1941 against the Germans. The Russians so far have had 3 battles against the Finns, all assaults.

My question is this. What happened from early 1940 till 1941 for the russians. Im sure if the Japs were attacking russia in 1939 the russians would have fought back. Was a lot of these battles left out of the long campaign. The germans have had at least 5 battles so far and i am still only up to June 1940 with them. But only 3 battles with the russians and am in the middle of 1941 with them.

By the way Germany has had all decisive victorys except for one minor. This is in at least 6 battles so far. Where with Russia all i could get was 3 draws against the Finns. The Japs have 2 decisive and one draw against Russia. The British vs Germany May 1940 i managed a minor.

Except for one battle in early 1940 Russia is not in the war until middle of 1941. By the time i get to them again once the other powers get to 1941, i will have forgotten all i learnt about there forces and how they fight.

Robots wear armor for skin.Grunts wear skin for armor.
Post #: 1
RE: Long campaign up to the 1940s - 3/22/2004 5:58:09 AM   
KG Erwin

You're playing three long campaigns at once? World at war, indeed. Wow--I do well with keeping track of just one (thank the gods for Campaign Watcher.)

I started a campaign as the Russians, beginning I think in June 1939. As I recall, you may get either the Japanese or Finns as first opponents. I'm pretty sure that after the Khalkin-Gol in summer 1939 and the Winter War of 1939-40, you proceed straight to the German invasion. It WOULD be neat to have a Polish interlude in Sept 1939, but I don't think it plays out that way.

I'm curious about how these will turn out, robot. Keep us posted on developments.

(in reply to robot)
Post #: 2
RE: Long campaign up to the 1940s - 3/22/2004 3:24:58 PM   
robot

Actually KG i have more then that going. But as Japs dont come in till 1942 in the pacific there battles and the US army havent started yet. Also British altough they come in to Europe in the 40s there pacific campaigns dont start until 1941 are there abouts. Like i say i have all the major powers ready to go in both there theaters. But have not had battles with them as yet. I play by dates as they came into the war. That is by the dates this game brought them in. Right now i am in June 1940. So far the Japs have fought Russia. Russia has fought the Finns. Germany has fought Poland and France. The British has fought Germany. All this before June 1940. This is the way the long campaign brings them in.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 3
RE: Long campaign up to the 1940s - 3/26/2004 3:27:32 AM   
Hunpecked

Haven't played the Japanese Long Campaign, but I would have expected them to get a few battles against the Chinese, starting 1937-ish.

(in reply to robot)
Post #: 4
RE: Long campaign up to the 1940s - 3/26/2004 3:23:49 PM   
robot

Japenese against the nation. Just started this one late 1940. Have had 5 turns so far. No chinese as yet have seen a few tanks running around in the distance. Have saw some congestion near there rear VH with a plane i sent over. Have not did much bombardment with my artty yet. Still have not inflicted many losses with the artty. Saw where they have taken the southern VH. Put some mortors and a 155 down on them last turn. Have not saw the results as i got out after plotting it. Movement is slow for my infantry as they are not mobile and take a long time to move very far. Still have along way to go but am not worried yet. By the way this is an advance. In this type of engagement i like for the enemy force to come to me anyways. So the slow movement doesnt bother me. Just that with 3 companies of men it takes along time to move each individuall unit. Almost like the old board games only the stacks dont fall over.

(in reply to Hunpecked)
Post #: 5
RE: Long campaign up to the 1940s - 3/26/2004 3:55:40 PM   
robot

KG i play by dates. I start each major power at the date the game allows me too. Such as germany starts east and west in 1939. The japs start west in 1939 but the pacific doesnt start until late 1941 i believe. The Russians started in 1939 against the Finns and so on. US Army doesnt come in to Europe until 1942 in the Pacific Dec. 1941. Britin comes in Europe in 1940 and Pacific not until 1941 i believe. I play the battle thru that has the earliest date on them. Then move to the next battle that has the earliest date on it. Some time i lose what each unit has the best abilities for a specific job. But by using the encyclopedia a lot, i am able to keep going with updates and such.

It is a lot of fun. It allows me to see the short comings and the use of a lot of equipment and men. Like the Germans in the early part of the war so far has been superior. At least by the way i use them. The Japs have been very strong so far too. I had a tough time with the Russians against the Finns tho. Also the British has had a tough time against the germans. My next battle with the British Is against the Italians in North Africa. Hope they fair better then against the Germans at Dunkirk.

(in reply to robot)
Post #: 6
RE: Long campaign up to the 1940s - 3/26/2004 7:30:49 PM   
panda124c

quote:

ORIGINAL: robot
Also the British has had a tough time against the germans. My next battle with the British Is against the Italians in North Africa. Hope they fair better then against the Germans at Dunkirk.

If you have no tanks the Italians are a b*tch. They have more MGs, and most are better, and better ATR's. I think the Germans are easier when there are not tanks around.

(in reply to robot)
Post #: 7
RE: Long campaign up to the 1940s - 3/27/2004 12:51:53 AM   
KG Erwin

Robot, I think this is great, provided you have the time to devote to doing it. You're essentially playing the entire war one hypothetical battle at a time. I personally love the long campaigns, but no alternative history is allowed. In other words, you can win as the Germans score-wise, but the war still ends the same way. Perhaps that's good, but in the SPWaW long campaigns, "the battle is the thing".

Of course, the ultimate would be a "dynamic" long WWII campaign, a combination of Mega Campaign-style branching in a core force career mode. Unfortunately, I think that's beyond the design possibilities of the game.

(in reply to panda124c)
Post #: 8
RE: Long campaign up to the 1940s - 3/27/2004 2:39:55 AM   
Charles2222

quote:

ORIGINAL: robot

I have got the Germans up to about june 1940 both east and western camapigns. The next battle the Japs have is i believe September 1940 against the Chinese. They had 3 battles so far against the Russians in 1939 and early 40s. I have the russians next battle as June 1941 against the Germans. The Russians so far have had 3 battles against the Finns, all assaults.

My question is this. What happened from early 1940 till 1941 for the russians. Im sure if the Japs were attacking russia in 1939 the russians would have fought back. Was a lot of these battles left out of the long campaign. The germans have had at least 5 battles so far and i am still only up to June 1940 with them. But only 3 battles with the russians and am in the middle of 1941 with them.

By the way Germany has had all decisive victorys except for one minor. This is in at least 6 battles so far. Where with Russia all i could get was 3 draws against the Finns. The Japs have 2 decisive and one draw against Russia. The British vs Germany May 1940 i managed a minor.

Except for one battle in early 1940 Russia is not in the war until middle of 1941. By the time i get to them again once the other powers get to 1941, i will have forgotten all i learnt about there forces and how they fight.

My goodness robot, you've done only what I've dreamed of doing, and even my dreams are more limited. My idea was to run a German campaign and a USSR one at the same time to settle once and for all who was the best.

I'm not sure how SPWAW works anymore, but in SPWW2 you can select the number of battles when starting each campaign, so that no matter how late they get start (like the US) you can still compare the same battle numbers for each side anyway. In SPWAW, they will let you pick numbers of battles for campaigns on the "generated" campaigns anyway (not sure about the WWII campaign). Perhaps a good alternative if you still want to play the WWII campaign vareity is to write down all the losses and points for each battle, and then later you can average out the losses and points and see who fares better. I will caution you, however, that if the sides don't have relatively equal points for the core force starting out, it probably wouldn't be too fair a comparison.

Don't be surprised that your USSR does very poorly compared to the Wehrmacht starting out. Try to keep the core's losses to a minimum (tough to do against the Finns) and probably by the GE invasion you'll at least have half your AFV's in competitive form. BTW, there's an easy way to solve your possible forgetting how to fight with the USSR by the time the next battle comes, and that's to alternate the side you battle with. For example: Battle one is as GE, battle two with the USSR, and battle three with JA. I know that makes the equipment jump around a bit, such that maybe battle 4 with GE is with PZIVC's while battle 4 for USSR might be facing GE PZIVE's, but that is an alternative from being absent from one campaign so long that it gives a drift factor.

(in reply to robot)
Post #: 9
RE: Long campaign up to the 1940s - 3/27/2004 2:42:51 AM   
M4Jess

Robot, you still owe me lunch!

Im making war, not trouble~

(in reply to Charles2222)
Post #: 10
RE: Long campaign up to the 1940s - 3/27/2004 2:47:11 PM   
robot

Jess im still saving up for it. Figured id take care of it at fort Knox if thats ok with you. If you dont make Fort Knox we might make Norfolk too see my Daughter the Navy brat. Maybe then my wife and i could run up to see you. Dont want this debt to hang over my head too many more years.

(in reply to M4Jess)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Long campaign up to the 1940s Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI