Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Positioning Flak

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Training Center >> Positioning Flak Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Positioning Flak - 4/16/2004 6:52:53 PM   
Poopyhead

I usually park each company's flak about 15 -20 hexes behind my line so that they have a LOS over the entire position. Then I try to center the Bn flak to be able to fire over as much of the line as possible. Last night though, the AI sent in two fighters and a bomber (got them) followed by another bomber (damaged for 10 points) and then six more fighters (damaged five of them) in one turn. By massing aircraft, the AI was able to overload my AA defenses. Should I layer more? Does smoke obscure the target of an air attack? I use 37 mm, is 20 mm better? (I am playing the long campaign as the Germans in 1941 vs the AI British in North Africa.) Thanks for your thoughts!

< Message edited by Poopyhead -- 6/16/2004 2:53:23 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Positioning Flak - 4/17/2004 3:30:34 AM   
BruceAZ

It sounds like a good defensive plan to me. I think the AI just through you a curve but I would not change my approach to the defensive plan. As far as 37 vs 20mm, I always rely on other measurements such as Range Finder and Control. This seems to be a better method of determining which to purchase. However, if I have enough purchase points, I will try to get both.

AA defense is critical when playing against the US and Britain and I always beef up. Some countries have limited airpower but against the US or BR, they can come at you with a mass attack. I think the worse I had was against the IJA and I was the Marines. I thought I was hot stuff and had them pinned against the edge of a swamp. I was going in for the kill and all of a sudden came the entire Japanese Airforce! Needless to say, my Marines were hard hit! Of course I did have the AI set to 200.

If you like the unexpected try some of Wild Bills scenarios or campaigns. He is VERY good...

Recon
Semper Fi

(in reply to Poopyhead)
Post #: 2
RE: Positioning Flak - 4/17/2004 3:33:06 AM   
Capt. Pixel

Smoke doesn't seem to affect AAs ability to target aircraft.

I prefer small caliber AA as they tend to fire more often than the big stuff. They may not get that Kill, but if they hit at all, that aircraft isn't coming back. Just shooting at the A/C is enough to bugger their targetting by suppression.

What you describe sounds like a perfectly fine setup for AA. I tend to place AA on both flanks and back from the front 10-15 hexes, maybe more. In this position, they can prosecute bombers AND any scouts that may have bypassed your flank.

Some SPAA like the M15A1 have multiple weapons that they'll fire at an air target. This effectively doubles their chance of a hit and adds even more suppression to the A/C.

"Always mystify, mislead, and surprise the enemy, if possible. "
- Stonewall Jackson

(in reply to Poopyhead)
Post #: 3
RE: Positioning Flak - 4/17/2004 3:46:02 AM   
minefield

AA does not take into account smoke. Even when firing at ground units.
I look at fire control and range finder since your main goal is to hit the aircraft, not blow it up.

never cross a minefield

(in reply to Capt. Pixel)
Post #: 4
RE: Positioning Flak - 4/19/2004 5:04:27 PM   
Sturmpionier

Remember when facing down the AI with regards to their airpower:

They generally will send all their air assets at you in one turn. It is part of the AI's tactics. I imagine it is in there since the AI can't "make human decisions" about the tactical situation so overwhelming is the only option they have. You will notice the same technique that the AI uses for Arty; for awhile nothing, then all of a sudden all of it lands on basically the same target

"Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun." - Ash

(in reply to minefield)
Post #: 5
RE: Positioning Flak - 4/20/2004 12:25:39 AM   
rbrunsman

Another thing to counteract the airstrikes is to surround your valuable assets with irresistable, but low value targets. Aircraft will often target the first large vehicle they see in the general area of its intended target hex. That means, if you have your "core" surrounded by trucks, the trucks are likely to take the brunt of the airstrike. I'd rather sacrifice a truck than a Tiger, etc...

Everyone is a potential [PBEM] enemy, every place a potential [PBEM] battlefield. --Zensunni Wisdom

(in reply to Sturmpionier)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Training Center >> Positioning Flak Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI