Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

misc weapons question

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> misc weapons question Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
misc weapons question - 5/6/2004 4:55:09 PM   
rjinwootton

when i was an anti aircraft gunner we were issued with the standard assault rifle that the infantry used albeit with not that much ammo....i seem to recall every soldier from the cooks to the clerks were also issued with the standard issue assault rifle because at the end of the day if you are in the army doing whatever you are still a basic soldier..............so my question is this......why are units like drivers and gunners only issued pistols and misc weapons(even tank crews i believe have assault guns with shorter barrels but i'm not sure)when at the least they should have rifles x crew size so that they can at least be used as poor 2nd rate infantry as i could have?

why would a truck driver be armed with a pistol driving to the front....or was ww2 different
Post #: 1
RE: misc weapons question - 5/6/2004 4:56:06 PM   
rjinwootton

sorry assauly guns should read assault rifles

(in reply to rjinwootton)
Post #: 2
RE: misc weapons question - 5/6/2004 6:08:21 PM   
Fallschirmjager

quote:

ORIGINAL: rjinwootton

when i was an anti aircraft gunner we were issued with the standard assault rifle that the infantry used albeit with not that much ammo....i seem to recall every soldier from the cooks to the clerks were also issued with the standard issue assault rifle because at the end of the day if you are in the army doing whatever you are still a basic soldier..............so my question is this......why are units like drivers and gunners only issued pistols and misc weapons(even tank crews i believe have assault guns with shorter barrels but i'm not sure)when at the least they should have rifles x crew size so that they can at least be used as poor 2nd rate infantry as i could have?

why would a truck driver be armed with a pistol driving to the front....or was ww2 different

There was alot of debate about this. Different services and nations carried different weapons. The Germans and early war Soviet second line troops had a mess of weapons. So to consolidate it they just added "Misc weapons"
I have always understood that this covers pistols, carbines and sub machine guns.

(in reply to rjinwootton)
Post #: 3
RE: misc weapons question - 5/6/2004 7:44:00 PM   
KG Erwin

Right, it depends on the nation. In the 8.2 USMC, secondary weapons for crew-served MGs and 60mm Mortars are Thompson SMGs. In the US Army, you could have either a Thompson or an M1 Carbine. Given the close-in nature of Pacific fighting, the Thompsons were prized possessions for use against Japanese infiltrators, since they had a greater knockdown punch than the carbines .

(in reply to Fallschirmjager)
Post #: 4
RE: misc weapons question - 5/6/2004 8:27:50 PM   
Warmonger

Just a barely relevant note:

I was an M1A1 Tank Gunner and my issued weapon was a 9mm pistol. The only rifle in the crew was the loader's. If we had ever abandoned our tank, we would have been just as useless as those bailed tank crews are in the game.

< Message edited by Warmonger -- 5/6/2004 12:23:17 PM >

W A R M O N G E R

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 5
RE: misc weapons question - 5/7/2004 1:56:12 AM   
KG Erwin

Warmonger, that is a very relevant note in SPWaW terms. However, it somewhat begs the question: why would you put your truck and jeep drivers in harm's way? I recently had my HQ vehicle destroyed by a mortar round in my long campaign. You can't lead from the rear, can you? I had to bail out, so no one is guaranteed safety at the SPWaW level.

(in reply to Warmonger)
Post #: 6
RE: misc weapons question - 5/7/2004 4:56:52 AM   
Fallschirmjager

quote:

ORIGINAL: KG Erwin

Warmonger, that is a very relevant note in SPWaW terms. However, it somewhat begs the question: why would you put your truck and jeep drivers in harm's way? I recently had my HQ vehicle destroyed by a mortar round in my long campaign. You can't lead from the rear, can you? I had to bail out, so no one is guaranteed safety at the SPWaW level.

I was playing MC:DF today and poor Col. Diestel was strafed and bombed by a nasty British Warhawk. Luckily his unit just took one casulty but his Mercedes staff car is scarrted aroundbout the desert.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 7
RE: misc weapons question - 5/7/2004 7:32:13 AM   
KG Erwin

Yes, I understand FJ. The first Sherman M4A1 delivered to my force will belong to my Executive Officer unit (B0), in other words, my transport. I wanna start kicking some Jap butts from the front lines.

(in reply to Fallschirmjager)
Post #: 8
RE: misc weapons question - 5/7/2004 6:12:15 PM   
Billy Yank

When I was in the Army, I got to meet a group of WWII MPs who were at Fort Hood to check out their modern counterparts. They were quite surpised to see that MP teams were now armed with rifles (one w/grenade launcher) and driving around in a HMMV w/pintle mount machine gun. According to them, the only time they were issued rifles was on prisoner guard duty, and even then, they had very minimal training with them. Another thing was that most of them had medical problems that rendered them unfit for infantry assignments.

Also remember a lot of the transport troopers were black, and weren't trusted with weapons.

Billy Yank
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."
-- Thorin Oakenshield

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 9
RE: misc weapons question - 5/8/2004 3:53:41 AM   
KG Erwin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Billy Yank

Also remember a lot of the transport troopers were black, and weren't trusted with weapons.

Hmm, considering the context of the times, this may indeed be true, at least as far as some ultra-conservative elements in the US military were concerned. I never thought about that. However, before anyone gets riled up over this, don't forget the contributions to the war effort made by black combat units. I want to put this matter to rest right now, before anyone takes exception.

(in reply to Billy Yank)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> misc weapons question Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI