Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

New computer - problem on load (possible solution)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Tech Support >> New computer - problem on load (possible solution) Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
New computer - problem on load (possible solution) - 4/26/2004 7:15:19 PM   
Zakamoto

Just FYI for the forum . . .

I've been unable to get UV running properly on the new system I built for myself last year. I didn't spend a lot of time with it, since my old system still ran it fine - but finally got around to messing with it again last week.

My old system was dual boot between Windows XP and Windows 98 SE, the new system is only XP (and is much more performanced optimized since I typically ran games under 98 on the old system). UV *did* however run fine under XP on the old.

On the new system UV 2.30 would hang at the load screen. Sometimes I could get past that by <alt><tab>bing about, minimizing UV and then bringing it back foreground - but in that state the game wasnt playable IMO. I checked here at the time and saw some things about Radeon drivers (new video card is an ATI 9800 variant, old is a Geforce 3), but found the driver version I was running stable so decided it wasnt worth messing around with at the time.

I started playing UV again last week to reaquaint myself with the mechanics, since my old system is currently in pieces I was forced to look at it again on my new. What I found was the game worked if I set the "Compatibility Mode" to Windows 98 in the "Avanced Properties" for the shortcut icon used to start UV up.

If anyone is having this problem under XP, right click the Icon you use to START UV up (menu or game, make sure it's the one you actually click on to start since the whole session inherits it's properties from here), go into "Properties", then look for the "Advanced", and set to Windows 98. I left the Disable Advanced Font setting alone (i.e. left it unchecked) with no evident troubles.

Kampai!

< Message edited by Zakamoto -- 4/26/2004 5:19:37 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: New computer - problem on load (possible solution) - 4/26/2004 9:39:44 PM   
rogueusmc

This is good info to know.....thanks a bunch.

I've been avoiding the XP OS as long as I can...I'm running Win 2000. This OS is the most stable one I have yet to use. There are various reasons for avoiding XP. I bought an XP machine for my girlfriend and it is ok but I haven't put UV on it and prolly won't.

There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion.

Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army

(in reply to Zakamoto)
Post #: 2
RE: New computer - problem on load (possible solution) - 4/27/2004 6:35:10 AM   
DoomedMantis

Im running XP and havent had a problem with the game

I shall make it a felony to drink small beer.

- Shakespeare

(in reply to rogueusmc)
Post #: 3
RE: New computer - problem on load (possible solution) - 4/28/2004 3:17:27 PM   
Zakamoto

I didn't have problems with XP either on my old machine. Presumably there is some issue with drivers (video? since there was some earlier advice here related to backleveling ATI Catylist drivers for a problem that sounded very similar), or possibly with one or more of the tuning decisions I made to improve gaming performance since I no longer had the option of dual booting Windows 98.

XP manages memory differently than those older OS's, and for the most part thats a Good Thing (tm). That Compatibility Mode dealie gives you new options to try for XP should you have issues with a specific app working properly. In my case it helped for UV on my new system, but wasn't necessary on my older box.

(in reply to DoomedMantis)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Tech Support >> New computer - problem on load (possible solution) Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI