Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Comparing LMGs

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Training Center >> Comparing LMGs Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Comparing LMGs - 5/13/2004 8:48:00 PM   
Maciste

Having played with most of the countries on SPWAW I'd like to say that, in my modes opinion, the LMG are quite unefective (except the MG42 LMG), cos my squads keep firing and firing and seldom they kill anybody. Though the MG42 is quite effective at medium ranges, some others, specially the Degtyarev 7.62, the Bren or the Breda 6.5mm LMG can fire and fire, no matter the hitting percentage, without hurting nobody. ¿Is this caused because they ain't the primary weapon, do they are effective only en close combat? Then, ¿why the mg42lmg is almost as effective as its big sister MMG42?
Someone explain it to me, please.

P.D: Curious, the Lewis LMG of the Norwegian marines is quite good too.
Post #: 1
RE: Comparing LMGs - 5/13/2004 11:47:54 PM   
VikingNo2

The Bren's are difficult to use but if you use them in groups of three you can cause allot of suppressin, as for the MG42 I believe that guns has a extremly high rate of fire, which is why they are so deadly. IMHO they should be more susceptible to breakdowns for this reason but they are not, all the German MG's have high rates of fire thats why you get more kills. But the other MG can be effective

(in reply to Maciste)
Post #: 2
RE: Comparing LMGs - 5/13/2004 11:51:52 PM   
rbrunsman

Keep in mind, MGs are most effective against fast moving and "ready" troops. "Ready" in this case means, "ready to get mowed down like wheat." After the first burst, the squad will be pinned, which means the unit is down and, presumably, seeking cover.

Your first burst from an MG will do the most damage. Anything else just adds to the suppression and doesn't necessarily get you more kills.

If you are referring to the squad's MG, then the shots from the rifles will get the unit pinned, thereby also reducing the effectiveness of the squad MG.

You could do a test (if you are so inclined):
Buy a bunch of Russian infantry. Set them up so they have to run across open ground and then use various MGs to cut them down. You will see the effectiveness clearly this way.

Everyone is a potential [PBEM] enemy, every place a potential [PBEM] battlefield. --Zensunni Wisdom

(in reply to Maciste)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Training Center >> Comparing LMGs Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI