Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Arty Accuray (spelling right?)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Arty Accuray (spelling right?) Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Arty Accuray (spelling right?) - 12/2/2001 9:03:00 PM   
Frank W.

Mhhh.. what are your tips for arty shelling a hex with no line of sight from a F/O. i mean the fire mostly lands everywhere but not in the targeted hexes. i think US 81mm mortars are quite acurate compared to 75mm or 105mm FH. i´m now in a campaign w/ 81mm mortars in the core. they got good exp. and moral, but the accuray is still quite weak,even with short distance to the target. is it true that this only works with a good F/O w/ LOS to the target hex? or any other tricks? thx. frank aka nexus

Post #: 1
- 12/2/2001 11:19:00 PM   
pax27

I want to add a little to Frank´s question if I may.
If a FO has a LOS to a target, calls the fire and then loses LOS/moves out of LOS, is the artillery fire he called fired as if the FO never had a clear LOS. It´s not as if the rounds go "oh my god, the FO isn´t directing us with his eyes anymore, what do we do now?" in mid air, is it? One more: What is the major difference in calling in indirect fire on a target with LOS and calling it in by the map.
The chance to hit a specific target (like infantry/afv/gun etc) is obviously lowered a lot, but is it possible to just do some simple calculations by a hexgrid or something and hit a specified part of named grid as well as if you have some dude staring on that piece of ground.

(in reply to Frank W.)
Post #: 2
- 12/2/2001 11:32:00 PM   
Drex

Pax27: Ihave read in an earlier thread that if your FO gives co-ordinates then you move him out of harm's way or in cover, this does not affect the accuracy. It would stand to reason that LOS would generate exact co-ordinates as opposed to a general area by map so the accuracy would be greater.

quote:

Col Saito: "Don't speak to me of rules! This is war! It is not a game of cricket!"

(in reply to Frank W.)
Post #: 3
- 12/3/2001 6:38:00 AM   
john g

quote:

Originally posted by Drex:
Pax27: Ihave read in an earlier thread that if your FO gives co-ordinates then you move him out of harm's way or in cover, this does not affect the accuracy. It would stand to reason that LOS would generate exact co-ordinates as opposed to a general area by map so the accuracy would be greater.
This is the opposite of what I have read. The FO needs to keep los to the target hex. Remember they adjust fire as well as call it in. If the first round was long, they then shorten it up, or viceversa. Once it is on target then they call for the fire for effect.
thanks, John.

(in reply to Frank W.)
Post #: 4
- 12/4/2001 3:00:00 AM   
pax27

OK, answer Franks question now, I kind of ruined this for him.
Further, what kind of equipment did a WW2 FO have to measure distances, if any.
And my point with the indirect fire by the map was that it does not matter if you have a guy at the front telling you that this or that exact spot on the map still is that spot IRL (hills, towns etc don´t move). In other words, why would the accuracy of an artillery piece (shooting one "burst") be worse if they don´t have a guy watching, if they´d want to hit a spot they could do as well with or without a FO with the first shot.
If they´d want to hit a target not on the map, enemy positions etc, that´s a different story.

(in reply to Frank W.)
Post #: 5
- 12/4/2001 3:15:00 AM   
pax27

OK, I´ll try to help you with this Frank. If you have a LOS to the target the accuracy is much better. But don´t be too concerned if your rounds don´t fall all in one hex, they don´t create a lot of clean kills anyway, but the real gain for you is the supression you cause the enemy, so you don´t want it all in one hex anyway.
I like using 8cm mortars and supress the enemy and then sweep in with engineers to have a little BBQ party with their infantry.
A nice weapon of choise is the mobile mortars, or any mobile artillery, you can fire and move a longer distace to avoid enemy artillery retaliation.
You should look into the manual and play the tutorial scenario on artillery.

(in reply to Frank W.)
Post #: 6
- 12/4/2001 4:36:00 AM   
Grumble

quote:

Further, what kind of equipment did a WW2 FO have to measure distances, if any.
And my point with the indirect fire by the map was that it does not matter if you have a guy at the front telling you that this or that exact spot on the map still is that spot IRL (hills, towns etc don´t move). In other words, why would the accuracy of an artillery piece (shooting one "burst") be worse if they don´t have a guy watching, if they´d want to hit a spot they could do as well with or without a FO with the first shot.
If they´d want to hit a target not on the map, enemy positions etc, that´s a different story.

FOs depending on nationality of course, had actual rangefinders (whether coincidence or stadia binoculars) and more importantly EXPERIENCE in estimating distances, determining burst patterns, and correcting fire. They are also tied directly into the artillery net. Which leads to the second point.
It's not a question of calling a fire mission to grid coordinates. You're right anyone can do that; the issue is ADJUSTING the fire so it hits on target. That's what FOs do better than anyone else (theoretically). The arty sequences are compressing the ranging fire/fire-for-effect(FFE) loop, with the player simply seeing the FFE portion AFTER the coordination/ranging shoot has begun. If the FO moves out of LOS, then the guns are FFE with no adjustments on target. Thus, the overall effect on target is lessened.

"...these go up to eleven."
Nigel Tufnel

(in reply to Frank W.)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Arty Accuray (spelling right?) Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI