Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

December 7, 1941

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> December 7, 1941 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
December 7, 1941 - 12/7/2001 8:57:00 PM   
AmmoSgt

I would like to thank my parents generation, my Father, US Navy , My Mother, Defense Plant worker, My Uncle Bill Truan who died on Iwo Jima, My Grandmother, Defense Plant Worker, My 6 Aunts who worked in the defense plants, My other 5 Aunts that were to young to work , but that collected scrap metal and worked in victory gardens .. and the Men , My Uncles , That they Married , all of whom were Veterns and served from Guadacanal to the Bulge

"For Americans war is almost all of the time a nuisance, and military skill is a luxury like Mah-jongg. But when the issue is brought home to them, war becomes as important, for the necessary periods, as business or sport. And it is hard to decide which
Post #: 1
- 12/7/2001 9:46:00 PM   
Scorpion_sk

Its posts like these that solidify the knowledge that WWII was not just some hazy, distant war that makes for a superb wargame setting. Naturally, I had grandparents who fought in the Winter War, but still, it´d help to do things that make WWII more...concrete. I guess I should visit some museums more often....

(in reply to AmmoSgt)
Post #: 2
- 12/7/2001 10:05:00 PM   
panda124c

Thanks to all those who went forth, and a moment of silence for those that did not return.

(in reply to AmmoSgt)
Post #: 3
- 12/7/2001 11:41:00 PM   
GuntherX

A prayer to all of them and thanks.

R.D.

(in reply to AmmoSgt)
Post #: 4
- 12/8/2001 12:22:00 AM   
Randy

For me December 7, has never been just a date, or Pearl Harbor just some place out in the Pacific. My dad was on the battleship Tennessee when the Japanese attacked that morning, so for me that date is a real event. My mom worked in a defense plant during the war. I had an uncle who was to old for the war, but worked in the Boston ship yard repairing British and Canadian ships during the Battle of the Atlantic. So for me, even though I was born in the fifties the events of WWII has always been part of my consciousness.
To maintain being a strong nation, we can never forget the sacrafices of those who fought and died to give us what we have today. Hopefully a new Greatest Generation will emerge from the events of 9/11.

Semper Fi
Randy

The United States Marines: America's 911 Force-The Tip of the Spear

(in reply to AmmoSgt)
Post #: 5
- 12/8/2001 12:34:00 AM   
Larry Holt

I grew up playing WWII games SPI's Destruction of Army Group Center was my first and I still have my original Panzer Blitz from '72. It was not until I was an intelligence officer reading up on Ultra that I realized how close we came to losing the war, its chilling. Britian came darn close to losing the air war. The Soviet Union lost 10 million IIRC. The Battle of the Bulge showed how dangerous the German military could still be near the end. All this was overcome only by the constant efforts of those who fought and those who worked at home. When they went to war, there was no tour of duty. They went for the duration, years away from home. I can only marvel at the dedication of that generation. I would like to add my late Grandfather a SeeBee and my Uncle Carl, MIA to those I thank.

Never take counsel of your fears.

(in reply to AmmoSgt)
Post #: 6
- 12/8/2001 3:02:00 AM   
screamer

i like to remember my grandfather for fighting the japs in 1941/42.[escaped to australia]
my other grandfather he was a forced labourer in hamburg he escaped in oktober1944[i beleve] and spend the rest of the war in hiding, he also survived the 1940 rotterdam terror bombardment.[died in 1991] my grandmother she was send to one of the japcamps in 1942 and was liberated in 1945
her brother he died in the java sea [onboard the CL "de ruyter" doormans flagship]

poep

(in reply to AmmoSgt)
Post #: 7
- 12/8/2001 4:08:00 AM   
SAMWolf

My father-in-law was in the Navy and wounded in the Pacific. My dad fought with the Polish Home Army and was captured during the Warsaw Uprising in 1944, he spent the end of the war in a German POW camp. My mom's brothers fought with the Wehrmacht and Luftwaffe in Russia and France. WW II has always been a part of my families get-to-gethers.

(in reply to AmmoSgt)
Post #: 8
- 12/8/2001 7:19:00 AM   
rlc27

My uncle was in the Marines, fought in the Pacific. All I know about my grandfather is that he was an officer in the Wehrmacht.

"They couldn't hit an elephant from this dist--"

--John Sedgwick, failing to reduce suppression during the Battle of the Wilderness, U.S. Civil War.

(in reply to AmmoSgt)
Post #: 9
- 12/8/2001 7:56:00 AM   
Drex

My Dad and his brother spent the war in Alaska but luckily weren't in the campaign to get the Aleutians back. they did see Dutch Harbor being bombed.

quote:

Col Saito: "Don't speak to me of rules! This is war! It is not a game of cricket!"

(in reply to AmmoSgt)
Post #: 10
- 12/8/2001 9:37:00 AM   
valdor17

My dad, who died a few years ago, was a Marine infantry radioman in WWII and fought from the tail end of the 'Canal on. He was also a Rifle Platoon Leader and Company Commander in Korea, fighting in the Pusan Perimeter, Inchon, and the Chosin. Three Purple Hearts. His brother was a waist gunner on a B17. He was shot down and captured on his next to the last mission (about 25 miles from where I was stationed in Germany.) Another uncle was a 90mm Anti-aircraft repairman. When he reached Britain shortly after D-Day they told him the Germans had no airplanes left and assigned him as a crewman on a Tank Destroyer (which, at least, did have a 90mm gun!) (He did his initial Air Defense training at Camp Irwin (now the NTC, Fort Irwin) where I would be assigned as part of the OPFOR over 40 years later.) I don't think any of us really appreciate how much we owe the brave men who literally saved the world by winning WWII. Semper Fi! And when I get to Heaven
To old Saint Pete I will tell,
Another Marine Reporting, Sir
I've served my time in Hell.

A66
1st MRB

(in reply to AmmoSgt)
Post #: 11
- 12/9/2001 2:39:00 AM   
Huffy

I have no story for this post of family members...my family tree is somewhat limited...but in talking with people at work or out and about....I am amazed at how they don't know, don't remember...or don't care, ...about the sacrifices that have been made by so , so many people ,friends, and families.
Keep telling the tales...never let them forget!!
Thank you.
Take care...
Huffy

(in reply to AmmoSgt)
Post #: 12
- 12/9/2001 7:42:00 AM   
Akmatov

We hear a lot about the psycological scarring suffered by the Vietnam veterans, but I suspect my father's generation suffered at least as much, but as the children of the depression they just kept quiet and did their best. My father was in the 28th Infantry Division at the Battle of the Bulge where multiple German divisions sliced it into squad-sized units that kept on fighting. Later in the war his pelvis and left leg were shattered by a rifle grenade and the only reason he lived was the blood froze while he WALKED miles to the rear seeking aid using his BAR as a crutch. He told this story to me only once, while he was drinking and after I had joined the US Army myself. Even my mother had never heard about this. They were VERY tough guys and we best be prepared to be just as tough when necessary.

(in reply to AmmoSgt)
Post #: 13
- 12/9/2001 11:58:00 AM   
Tombstone

I supposedly have a great-uncle who is the only surviving member of his unit that got wiped out at Guadalcanal. He's a little nuts, and wont talk about it (not that I speak Japanese anyway). The story is kinda neat though, an uncle recounted how he was being pursued by the Americans and came to a steep 'cliff' (He's alive, so I think it was steep incline) and saw a FOX running down the cliff, and thought "If the fox can make it, so can I." and just went down... crazy story eh? I also have a great-uncle who was in the camps... he was crazy (clinically) too. History of insanity, uh oh, I hope that doesn't mean I'm in trouble. I think WW2 was so big that the nation was able to share the psychological suffering with the soldiers more than was the case for Vietnam. Our boys did went through a lot of terrible things, if they're a WW2 vet then their actions are condoned and their sacrifice is respected by their community. That wasn't as much the case for the Vietnam vets. Their war wasn't as clear either. The violence must be hard on the psyche, without the clarity inherent in liberating Europe and defeating the Nazi regime the Vietnam vets were left with fewer tools to rationalize the horrors of war. That's what I think. Tomo

(in reply to AmmoSgt)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> December 7, 1941 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI