Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Newbie Question

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Newbie Question Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Newbie Question - 12/9/2001 4:42:00 AM   
Hikertrash

Hey All, I can't believe I didn't look into this game earlier. I've been familiar with Wild Bill's work for Combat Mission. Finding another, broader, finely tuned game featuring his work is more than I could have imaginged. SPWaW is simply fantastic. Thanks Matrix! I played a scenario the other day to get used to the interface (Menando Airport- Japanese vs. Netherlands). Anyway, I was playing as the Japanese and I took all VL's destroyed all the bunkers and broke the morale of the Dutch army. Yet I only got a draw and was behind by 400 in points. Obviously I don't understand the point and victory conditions. Can someone give me a quick rundown on em? BTW, I find the Japanese to be a good intro to the game. I love it, they don't break, they just die (just like in ASL ) What a game!

Post #: 1
- 12/9/2001 5:01:00 AM   
Alexandra

Casualties play a part too - you gain points for kills, lose them for losses, more so if whole squads die. So, you probably took a lot of dead men in the assault, I'd guess, to get a draw. Welcome, btw. Alex

"Tonight a dynasty is born." Ricky Proehl, then of the Saint Louis Rams. He was right! Go Pats! Winners of Super Bowls 36, 38 and 39.

(in reply to Hikertrash)
Post #: 2
- 12/10/2001 9:35:00 AM   
kao16

quote:

Originally posted by Hikertrash:
Hey All, I played a scenario the other day to get used to the interface (Menando Airport- Japanese vs. Netherlands). Anyway, I was playing as the Japanese and I took all VL's destroyed all the bunkers and broke the morale of the Dutch army. Yet I only got a draw and was behind by 400 in points. Obviously I don't understand the point and victory conditions. Can someone give me a quick rundown on em?
Did you check the points value of the various victory hexes? Some of them may be points per turn and if they were in Dutch hands long enough....

(in reply to Hikertrash)
Post #: 3
- 12/10/2001 12:44:00 PM   
Wild Bill

Hey there, Hikertrash. Welcome to the neighborhood! Pull up a chair and feel the warmth of good hearted gamers that love to help their fellow hobbiests! We're delighted to have you. As has been defined, victory is determined by (1) victory points gained vs victory points not gained and (2) casualties gained versus those lost. If the scenario objectives are not set up high enough, then too many casualties can really hurt you, much as in real action. A commander can take the ground, accomplish the objectives and still fail in part because the losses he sustained were so heavy that he and his force were too decimated to be effective for any immediate action in the future. This causes one to take the role of a real leader and be concerned for losses in achieving his goals. Hang in there with us. You'll find this to be one of the best group of wargamers around. Wild Bill [ December 10, 2001: Message edited by: Wild Bill ]

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant

(in reply to Hikertrash)
Post #: 4
- 12/11/2001 1:38:00 AM   
BjörnR

Hikertrash As pointed out before the victory hexes occupied by the enemy is counting 140 points every turn. Compared to that the end of battle victory hexes are of limited value.
This means that you must take those enemy hexes rapidly and keep control of them.
This value can motivate own troop losses.

(in reply to Hikertrash)
Post #: 5
- 12/11/2001 1:59:00 AM   
Hikertrash

Thanks for the help everyone. The concept of points/turn for holding a VL is new to me. I did take a number of VL's on the second to last turn. I guess that accounts for it. I don't think it was casualties. I took my share, especially taking out those bunkers, but I obliterated countless Dutch troops.

(in reply to Hikertrash)
Post #: 6
- 12/11/2001 8:21:00 AM   
Redleg

The Airport at Menado is obsolete depending upon the version that you have. The routines for casualties, etc changed quite a lot as SPWAW evolved. There is a recent remake available that is restructured to take into account more current OOBs and V7. I will send it to anyone who wants it.

(in reply to Hikertrash)
Post #: 7
- 12/11/2001 8:58:00 AM   
Hikertrash

Redleg, I've got version 6 ... the scenarios that came with it are for an older version of SPWaW? If you could send me an updated copy, I'd appreciate it. I really enjoyed the scenario. All that fire and smoke really set a dark mood. Thanks ...

(in reply to Hikertrash)
Post #: 8
- 12/11/2001 9:35:00 AM   
tracer

Redleg: Please send me a copy of that updated Menando Airport scenario. Thanks. [email]jimnsb@cfl.rr.com[/email] [ December 10, 2001: Message edited by: tracer ]

Jim NSB

(in reply to Hikertrash)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Newbie Question Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI